Answered

Android 8.0 Galaxy S8+ Cracking Popping audio

Userlevel 2
Can someone find a fix or soundcloud pls update their app, the crackle/pop noise randomly sounds listening to music. I notice this happened right after I updated to android 8 idk why
icon

Best answer by Petey Patrick 20 September 2018, 22:47

Is there really no update for this yet? Seems like a pretty big issue that affects a lot of people.
View original

74 replies

Confirmed on essential phone both with 8.1 and 9.0. Can't believe this problem has been going on for so long. SoundCloud is completely useless on my phone
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi everyone,

Does this issue persist for you? If so, can you please try and delete the app, restart your device, then download again (if you have SoundCloud Go / Go+ and had content downloaded for offline listening, you will need to re-download this). Hopefully, this will give the app a fresh start and sort out any glitches that might have caused this before.

Cheers
Mathis
Userlevel 3
Hi @Mathis + others,

We've identified an issue with crackling on tracks which seems to be specific to Samsung devices only. We're working on a fix, and we appreciate all your patience whilst we roll it out.

+1 to joining the beta - we often test bug fixes there before rolling out to everyone.
I've been having the same issue for seemingly the same reason.
Note 8. Still an issue. What a mess. Please fix the app. Why the hold up? Work faster @Carrie Hall ...it took app developers a year to find it was a problem on Samsung phones!? I could have told you that. You ask for us to be patient? Rly?
Userlevel 2
and sorry for clicking solved because this is not lol
Can confirm this is a problem on Essential phone running Oreo 8.1. Please fix, I love soundcloud but can't listen on my phone 😞
Tried this, doesnt work for me
Confirmed on essential phone both with 8.1 and 9.0. Can't believe this problem has been going on for so long. SoundCloud is completely useless on my phone
Exactly the same for me. Essential phone as well!
after going through all available settings and connections, what solved my issue on SoundCloud release 2019.03.04:
Settings --> Apps and notifications --> Soundcloud app --> Permission --> Storage access granted

... guessing Soundcloud depends on the storage buffering and Android blocks the buffering, which causes losing data along the way, therefore cracking noises
@s2501 thanks for the tips. I just tried that, but unfortunately doesn't seem to do too much for me. Hopefully a more permanent solution is made soon!
Userlevel 2
I've been having the same issue for seemingly the same reason. Its rough when soundcloud the main music app I use, no matter if I use my data or wifi, headphones or speakers. As soon as I updated it started this issue as well as small track skipping for brief seconds randomly as well. I have no idea whats going on but soundcloud needa fix 😞
Wife has just bought a new Galaxy S8 and what do you know - she's getting 'crackling' and it is driving her insane. She is a heavy SoundCloud user (makes music, listens to a lot of music too, etc) so this is something that really matters to her.

I have tried helping her and reading anything and everything I can, but there doesn't seem to be a way to fix this.

Is it really possible that SoundCloud still hasn't - at least - acknowledged this? Apparently, all it takes is to get a Samsung Galaxy S8 and use SoundCloud app in order to reproduce it.

SoundCloud - any chance you could spare some money and get an S8, huh?
HHave the same problem here on a Note 9
Same here... really annoyed by this problem. First time today, wasnt an issue before. Other apps are fine.
Static, crackling happens to me too on Samsung S8 after Android Pie update, tried the storage permissions trick.
I have a Note 8 and this is and has always been an issue. Not only that, the issue occurs with just about any app that has anything to do with audio. Android simply can't do low latency audio regardless of the hardware. There seems to be zero desire to fix the issue either. This is exactly why IOS has a huge up to date library of music production applications and Android has next to nothing. You would think those involved in development would be interested in bringing in revenue. The application developers are not at fault here. They have little to work with. Until Android gets low latency kernel level drivers I don't see this fixed, and Android will get it's ass handed to it in this respect.
Would you look at that took a year but we have an official answer above
Same here, even created a thread, I hope SoundCloud can fix this issue.
@Milos PesicI have the same issue everyone else is reporting. My phone is the Galaxy S8 with the latest OTA update from AT&T (Android software and Samsung firmware). I was using the latest public update (and the one before that which I updated from(which had the issue)) then switched to the beta version, and still have the crackling and popping sound. It's so bad, I really can't listen to anything. This is quite disturbing to me as I've been using SoundCloud on my PC and phone app over the past six years and have never had anything close to this. I just don't get it honestly, it's 2019 and how is this such an issue (or is it)? I mean the only logical explanation would be that this is a ploy to upgrade to the paid version, which I'm sad to say I would do if that would fix it. The latter is me being facetious. Please fix this soon. The issue here is of paramount importance to SoundCloud itself. It's a big deal.
This needs a fix, BADLY. I'm a music producer. I rely on this stuff. I'll beta test. Whatever. It's been a year.
same issue here..I've done all what you did to fix it but the noises continued..
it's on my Galaxy Note9.
Hello

I have Samsung S9 and the latest Android 9 installed.
For me it worked perfectly on Android 8
But after upgrading I am starting to hear these cracking noises you describe.

Though first it was something wrong with my cable.
But I can confirm it only happens on soundcloud app so Soundcloud need to look at this.
I am sad that I am not able to use soundcloud any more until this is fixed
GS8+vzw, Albeit 8.newest

I believe it's a memory issue with how Soundcloud is handled in the system RAM. I have other various issues with Soundcloud, all resulting from switching to any other app while Soundcloud is handled as a running task and not the foreground application. Crackling audio is just the tip of the iceberg. Frozen video ads (why video ads for an audio app..I don't get that)(this issues even while Soundcloud is in the foreground, but only if I've switched apps and back), can't remember my last viewed page, switching playlists, closing altogether when I get a non-system notification or any audio playback, playback continues to another artist (usually random) if kept in the background when a playlist isn't selected to play, spectrum visualization is broken for many tracks and doesn't fix until it hits the end of the graph, in the middle of the track (makes for difficult navigation..).... Oh..and even frozen video ads while playing the next track with no way to change tracks from the ad screen (play screen).

Clear app data? Sure. Uninstall and clear all data? Absolutely. Restart phone? You bet. When there's enough system memory used, it doesn't matter. And I've got 4 gigs, with at least 1.2 gigs of free ram leftover, as well. I would love to pay for ad free, but the experience isn't worth it, and I've been using Soundcloud for a few years. Why isn't there an option in the app to submit bugs? If not for everyone, how about random heavy users? Love the web version on my PC, though.
I also have this problem. Every song contains random cracking and popping sounds like it isn't buffered properly, once every couple minutes. This only happens in the soundcloud app and i have a samsung s8 with a perfect 4G+ connection.