Solved

Chromecast Audio App Static Noises

Whenever I cast soundcloud to Google Chromecast Audio it plays fine at first but after some time, 15 to 20 minutes is typical, there are static glitches in the audio and as long as I let it keep casting the static glitches get worse - more frequent. It renders the Soundcloud App on the Chromecast Audio device unusable. If I start casting another app (eg. Tidal) or mirror my phone's audio via the Google Home app then the issue disappears... I can then switch back to casting Soundcloud again and the glitches will have resolved... then rinse and repeat above... the static glitch noises return!

What I think is happening (I don't have any debugging tools at my disposal at the moment... so speculation): possibly a memory leak with the Soundcloud App on the Chromecast Audio device.

The inference I am making to suggestion this outcome is that if I leave the Soundcloud on the Chromecast Audio device to keep streaming, the glitches will continue to get worse until the Chromecast Audio device becomes unresponsive: unresponsive with streaming but also unresponsive switching streaming apps (eg. switch to streaming Tidal) it can take 10 to 20 seconds before it will eventually close the Soundcloud App and switch to the other app I requested... after which that app streams flawlessly and the Chromecast Audio device becomes responsive again. This suggests to me that the RAM is full and the Chromecast Audio device is struggling with memory management and once Soundcloud is closed all that memory is freed.

Chromecast Audio Device Info:
  • comment: bought just this week, specifically to cast Soundcloud!!!!
  • manufacturing date: 09/2015
  • country code: CA
  • firmware: 1.36.139856
  • Googles Stated Production Firmware Version: 1.30.111140​ (https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7124014?hl=en-CA) shrugs --- I don't think that's right: I have definitely NOT opted in to the firmware preview program
My configuration:
  • Main device: Google Pixel 3 with Android Pie (with all apps up to date with their respective latest versions)
  • Secondary Device: MacBook with Google Chrome
  • Chromecast Audio
  • DAC connected to the Chromecast Audio via the optical output
Additional Comments:
I have come across an old and closed thread with this issue. There was no resolution when the thread was marked closed and resolved. (The thread I can't seem to find now.) All what the technical support rep did was keep asking what version of the firmware the Chromecast Audio had (possibly because I newer version had just recently been pushed, at the time) and offered the standard but very unhelpful have you tried turning off all your devices and wait a minute and turn them all on again? (To which I'm going to answer right now, "YESSSSSS!!!! Several times!!! The issue does resolve when the Chromecast Audio is restarted but then will eventually present with the issue described above after some time casting Soundcloud. And, switching apps to say Tidal on the Chromecast Audio device also resolves the issue so no restart is actually required. This issue is isolated to the Soundcloud App on the Chromecast Audio device." So, don't ask me to restart all my devices... again!)

Resolve this issue and I will be very happy with this configuration because it frees my laptop from being always connected to my DAC (it's nice to lay in bed with my laptop or move it anywhere lol) and frees my phone from 3.5mm to RCA connected to my mixer... I love my devices to be freed from the cables hehe
icon

Best answer by Christyn 5 February 2019, 04:21

As of today, even before rebooting my chromecast audio I had noticed the static noises stop (while over the weekend this was still occurring). I did reboot the chromecast this morning and have been playing it non-stop all day with static noise occurring at the beginning of only one track.

I have noted the versions of the Chromecast Audio Firmware: 1.36.141215 (released sometime Dec. 2018) and the SoundCloud app: 2019.01.22-release though neither of those were released within the past few days.... sooooooo whatever you did... it worked woot woot 😀

Thank you 🙂

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
Essentially yes :)

The receiver runs our web application.
To satisfy my own curiosity:

Does the stream contain meta information that includes how much of a track to cache?

Cause that would totally make sense that if a 1 hour long track streaming at high quality that allowed for a very large cache would easily exceed the chromecast audio's 256MB of RAM (less the OS and running apps and processes, of course)
As of today, even before rebooting my chromecast audio I had noticed the static noises stop (while over the weekend this was still occurring). I did reboot the chromecast this morning and have been playing it non-stop all day with static noise occurring at the beginning of only one track.

I have noted the versions of the Chromecast Audio Firmware: 1.36.141215 (released sometime Dec. 2018) and the SoundCloud app: 2019.01.22-release though neither of those were released within the past few days.... sooooooo whatever you did... it worked woot woot 😀

Thank you 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hey @Christyn please can you restart your chromecast, and then let us know if you still have this issue?

Thanks.