Solved

Crackling and Popping on the Phone App

Userlevel 1
Firstly I use my phone (Note8)to listen to music and recently I noticed that all of the songs on Soundcloud are crackling and popping irregularly in every song I listen to. This feels like a new issue because I haven't ever noticed this before and the popping can sometimes be even louder than the song.

Things I've tried:
- I opted into and out of the beta version of the app but no luck.
- I even tried going to the SoundCloud website on my phone to listen to the same song and there's still popping. This is probably a SoundCloud only issue because I listened the same song on YouTube and it's really clear.
- I tried using my earbuds and phone speakers and both have the same issue.
- Tried listening to many different songs but the issue persists.

Is there anything I could do at this point? I feel like I've exhausted all my options and I have to just live with this terrible popping sounds 😞
icon

Best answer by Milos Pesic 8 April 2019, 17:23

@Quanticador @flaaghara - Thank you for reporting the problem and providing more details.
We have rolled out an experimental change that could fix your issues to a part of our beta community.
We would like to ask you to help us and test if these changes fix the problem you are experiencing by doing the following:
Thank you for your time and apologies for the inconvenience.
Let us know if you need more information.

Regards,
Milos Pesic
View original

16 replies

I am glad that I see other people in the community with the issue. Please guys, this is an urgent issue. Given that Soundcloud's main purpose is to be a functional music streaming app, if even that is not working well then what's the point? I have had this problem before and it has been pretty ephemeral in nature so I thought that this maybe had something to do with my headphones / cell phone at the time, but now that it is back with a vengeance I have had an opportunity to experience what is going on to a large extent and have a subjective sense of what is going on.

The crackling / popping seems to be proportional to the intensity / "density" of the music. AKA the more complex and sonorous the song is the more distortion there is. In my opinion, the equivalent of this in the context of gaming and graphics is like going into a game and lagging badly because of CPU performance (as opposed to GPU lagging which would just reduce the frame rate a lot). CPU lagging causes your computer to emit crackle / pop sounds as the audio skips around with the CPU at high load. For Soundcloud this must mean something is wrong with the engine or audio codec.

Any official updates from the team would be appreciated.
Userlevel 1
I am glad that I see other people in the community with the issue. Please guys, this is an urgent issue. Given that Soundcloud's main purpose is to be a functional music streaming app, if even that is not working well then what's the point? I have had this problem before and it has been pretty ephemeral in nature so I thought that this maybe had something to do with my headphones / cell phone at the time, but now that it is back with a vengeance I have had an opportunity to experience what is going on to a large extent and have a subjective sense of what is going on.

The crackling / popping seems to be proportional to the intensity / "density" of the music. AKA the more complex and sonorous the song is the more distortion there is. In my opinion, the equivalent of this in the context of gaming and graphics is like going into a game and lagging badly because of CPU performance (as opposed to GPU lagging which would just reduce the frame rate a lot). CPU lagging causes your computer to emit crackle / pop sounds as the audio skips around with the CPU at high load. For Soundcloud this must mean something is wrong with the engine or audio codec.

Any official updates from the team would be appreciated.

Yea, you're right. I went back and listened to intense songs and the popping was really bad compared to calmer songs. As of now, I'm having to ditch SoundCloud completely on my phone until this issue is fixed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Our engineers are looking into this, however it seems more complicated to fix then initially thought. Hopefully they can get to the bottom of this soon.

In the meantime, I can only recommend you to join the Android Beta program in order to receive the most current builds of the app. More info can be found here: https://community.soundcloud.com/android-230073/information-about-the-android-beta-7426196
Userlevel 1
@Quanticador @flaaghara - Thank you for reporting the problem and providing more details.
We have rolled out an experimental change that could fix your issues to a part of our beta community.
We would like to ask you to help us and test if these changes fix the problem you are experiencing by doing the following:
Thank you for your time and apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Milos Pesic
Userlevel 1
We would like to ask you to help us and test if these changes fix the problem you are experiencing by doing the following:Thank you for your time and apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Milos Pesic

Sorry, I didn't mean to flag your reply as answered. I've joined back the beta program and reported the bug on the app as you've asked. Just to make this clear: this crackling issue is still not fixed yet but I'll be sure to keep testing and report back on this thread when this problem is fixed.
We would like to ask you to help us and test if these changes fix the problem you are experiencing by doing the following:Thank you for your time and apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Milos Pesic

Hi Milos, just as Quanticador mentioned, the bug is still not fixed. This is the soundcloud version I am using for my Galaxy S8+:

App version 2019.04.04-beta
Flipper version 3.2.1

I don't think there is any change with regards to the crackling / popping. It is about the same amount of distortion as before. Thank you for looking into the issue.
Userlevel 1
@flaaghara
Thanks for the additional details. The experimental change we implemented isn't yet rolled out to full beta user base. That's the reason we have asked you to send a bug report so we can add you to the group of users getting the experimental changes so you could help us with testing.
It would be great if you could report a bug (Settings tab -> Report bug, select Playback issue) so we can get details we need to enrol you into the experiment.
Once we get the report I will get back to you to confirm that you got the experimental fix so you could retest.

Thanks again for your time!
Regards,
Milos Pesic
Playback Engineer at SoundCloud
Userlevel 1
@Quanticador @flaaghara
We have rolled out the fix to all beta users in version 2019.04.24-beta.
If you update to this version - and the problem still persists for you - please let us know.

Best Regards,
Milos Pesic
Playback Engineer at SoundCloud
@Milos Pesic I'm running 2019.04.25-beta popping and crackling is still present on all tracks regardless of app reinstall and data clearing. On galaxy s9+ April security patch (9.0 + one ui). This is really embarrassing for you guys as your app is fundamentally issue while this problem persists. Please update us when you make actual progress. You could be testing this in house to see if it works as well.
Userlevel 1
@Mythras
I am sorry to hear to you are still experiencing the problem. We have done in house testing to make sure the issue is fixed - and since you still have the problem - it's highly likely that the app's configuration for your device isn't yet updated. I could recommend 1) making sure you are connected to interent, 2) restarting the app (the easiest way to make sure app is restarted is by restarting device). If that doesn't help please send us another report so we can see what's wrong.
@Milos Pesic I already sent in another bug report, thing is... you guys have claimed to have a fix for this issue more than 5 times in the last month and a half and none of these updates have fixed the issue. It's very annoying to be told "your issue should be fixed" over and over again and have it not be fixed. Explain why it's highly likely that the apps configuration for my device hasn't been updated when my app version is newer than what you just suggested. Basically what that sentence means is "I know we told you the issue is fixed but it's highly likely its not fixed for your device yet." Aka it's not fixed. Of course I'm connected to the internet and a uninstall/ reinstall/ cache and data clear + device reboot was the first thing I did after getting this beta version. So all we're left with is "we said it's fixed but it's not fixed for you yet" that means it's not fixed stop lying to your users.
@Milos Pesic I already sent in another bug report, thing is... you guys have claimed to have a fix for this issue more than 5 times in the last month and a half and none of these updates have fixed the issue. It's very annoying to be told "your issue should be fixed" over and over again and have it not be fixed. Explain why it's highly likely that the apps configuration for my device hasn't been updated when my app version is newer than what you just suggested. Basically what that sentence means is "I know we told you the issue is fixed but it's highly likely its not fixed for your device yet." Aka it's not fixed. Of course I'm connected to the internet and a uninstall/ reinstall/ cache and data clear + device reboot was the first thing I did after getting this beta version. So all we're left with is "we said it's fixed but it's not fixed for you yet" that means it's not fixed stop lying to your users.

Sup man, I've been having the same problem, I'm on galaxy note 8, android 9, version 1 One Ui, and I just installed My Cloud Player from Google play store, I'm not experiencing anymore cracking atm, I've only been using the app for a few minutes but I think that has solved my issue. This soundcloud issue is very annoying and I really thought it was my phone as someone else had stated that they thought it was their phone too, I thought it was mine cause I had gotten my screen repaired and the repairmen did a terrible job on my screen(screen is glitchy probably cause of a connection that isn't connected properly, and also my back glass adhesive is completely fucked and is if they didnt even try with adhesive). Tl;dr, try downloading and installing My Cloud Player from play store.
@Milos Pesic I have the same issue everyone else is reporting. My phone is the Galaxy S8 with the latest OTA update from AT&T (Android software and Samsung firmware). I was using the latest public update (and the one before that which I updated from(which had the issue)) then switched to the beta version, and still have the crackling and popping sound. It's so bad, I really can't listen to anything. This is quite disturbing to me as I've been using SoundCloud on my PC and phone app over the past six years and have never had anything close to this. I just don't get it honestly, it's 2019 and how is this such an issue (or is it)? I mean the only logical explanation would be that this is a ploy to upgrade to the paid version, which I'm sad to say I would do if that would fix it. The latter is me being facetious. Please fix this soon. The issue here is of paramount importance to SoundCloud itself. It's a big deal...
Same issue. About to give up and switch streaming services.
Update: As of right now, the crackling has stopped and or has been so minimal I haven't really noticed it. I've signed up for soundcloud beta and I'm on 2019.05.09-beta Flipper version 3.2.2 and Android 9 Pie.
Firstly I use my phone (Note8)to listen to music and recently I noticed that all of the songs on Soundcloud are crackling and popping irregularly in every song I listen to. This feels like a new issue because I haven't ever noticed this before and the popping can sometimes be even louder than the song.

Things I've tried:
- I opted into and out of the beta version of the app but no luck.
- I even tried going to the SoundCloud website on my phone to listen to the same song and there's still popping. This is probably a SoundCloud only issue because I listened the same song on YouTube and it's really clear.
- I tried using my earbuds and phone speakers and both have the same issue.
- Tried listening to many different songs but the issue persists.

Is there anything I could do at this point? I feel like I've exhausted all my options and I have to just live with this terrible popping sounds :(

Not sure why this issue is marked as "solved" tried many suggested methods and still experience crackling. Signed up for the beta with no improvement to any songs. This is a huge issue soundcloud seems to be ignoring. Hope they find a fix soon. Until then, I'm ditching the app.