Question

How do i change the size of the mobile audio cache on android?

• 20 February 2015
  • 79 replies

Show first post

79 replies

I have the apk from mid january 2015 and sometimes it has bugs but i can load so much songs inmy cache. Thats why i have android :)
I wouldnt mind getting that from you.. I may be able to hunt it down on the interwebs too.. great call!
Userlevel 3
Dear Gina, finally an official public answer from you guys, as you can see we all want the cache-stream-resize option back, and it's in Soundcloud interest to bring it back, and hopefully you guys will do that ASAP. I would not mind paying for that, as long as it's done.

I cannot move to another platform, they can't compare with Soundcloud.

As you can see we all have found a way around installing Ver.2.8.3, although it's becoming unstable.
Oh by the way if Ver.2.8.3 crashes too often, uninstall it, then install an older version, and then re-install it, it should become more stable... I know it does not make sense, but hey ... machines...
Cheers.
Gina, Mathis, or any other SoundCloud employee:

SoundCloud is losing users because this feature was removed (and my own usage has declined significantly). I don't really understand how SoundCloud benefits from having users spend less time on their app (whether online or offline). Why not allow caching (in some encrypted fashion so users cannot transfer the cached/downloaded songs to other devices like the Zune used to do; this should ease concerns over licensing) then pre-download advertisements and queue them to play during offline listening?

I have always been a big fan of this company and the music community behind it, but it's sad to see them remove features they once had, especially when there are competitors that offer this feature. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to monetize offline listening. I'm truly baffled here.
It's a pitty. I just started to use soundcloud as my only mobile music player, but now it seems that I have to drop it. I don't realy cared about listening when I am offline, but without the caching the bandwith consumption is just too expensive in the long run.
Hi SPCE,

The caching on previous versions of the app is not a feature of the current app. It was only available to deliver content quicker to the user and allowing a more streamlined experience. Our mobile engineers have since improved the technical capabilities and therefore limited its capacity.

I hope that clears that up for you.

Cheers,
Mathis

Wow, really SoundCloud? I smell this as a bs excuse in order to start serving ads in real-time [I'm from Australia, currently no ads served at all here yet) (OR, you guys couldn't stop the tracks from skipping or cutting short at the end 5 seconds too early, so you removed caching entirely).

SoundCloud cache was a life saver for conversing mobile data, it was one of the sole reasons I used SoundCloud over other streaming apps. (Now SoundCloud is the most intensive data hog app on my phone, it's like being in a dark scenario not having enough free storage to cache, except SoundCloud thinks this should be the norm, seriously WTF?!), especially when I only get 1.5GBs LTE data a month, I would look for every way to conserve mobile data as possible, this meant pre-loading SoundCloud tracks / multiple hour long podcast mixes over Wi-Fi. Will be reverting back to an older version of the SoundCloud app to regain this caching functionality, because on ANDROID it's possible to download old .apk files from sources other than Google Play. (http://techbeasts.com/2015/07/19/download-soundcloud-1502245-apk-music-caching/). Enjoy supporting a less functional production app. The new and improved widget was nice for a second, but hey, there's a third party app for that too. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mycloudplayers.mycloudplayer Hope SoundCloud wakes up to what they're currently doing with their app...destroying it and their mobile data usage savvy user base! (Which would be a lot).

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Application Cache problems with the app.

Alright, so in the past I used to listen to songs on the soundcloud app at home with wifi, and the app would save all the songs I played on my mobile permanently. But recently, it seems that the app is randomly deleting the cache, so when I step out of my house, I can't listen to the songs offline. Anyone else got these problems?!?
Userlevel 3
I need to find a previuos version of Soundcloud app for Android and disable all the software updates ..
Userlevel 3
Hi SPCE,

The caching on previous versions of the app is not a feature of the current app. It was only available to deliver content quicker to the user and allowing a more streamlined experience. Our mobile engineers have since improved the technical capabilities and therefore limited its capacity.

Cheers,
Mathis

HI Xc3llerator , after following your procedure I noticed first of all tha Ver. 15.02.02-45 does not support Cache streaming at all, an also has a bug that does not allow the app tp connect to the internet. Sorry but I have to stick to Ver.2.8.3, although it crashes after a few days and right now it looks like it doesn't want to work anymore, I will try My cloudplayer for Soundcloud, and see ... Cheers.
Userlevel 1
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I HATE THAT YOUR APP FOR ANDROID DOES NOT HAVE THE CACHE CAPABILITY!~!!@ BRING IT....

YOU NEED TO BRING BACK THE CACHE CAPABILITY! YOUR COMPANY IS STUPID FOR TAKING IT AWAY! YOU ARE FORCING US TO USE DATA ON OUR MOBILE DEVICES!
@Saiyan Yes google it: Soundcloud .apk Ver.2.8.3 , that's the one you are looking for. You won't find it on Google Play.

You can install it directly from you device , provided that you enabled you Android for the developers mode.
Otherwise follow my instructions on how to install it from a PC connected to your device (see above).

Ciao.

I tried installing this version a few times (clearing my device from all previous versions etc) however, even though the app installs it refuses to stream any music. Is there another tweak needed? Much appreciated.
Userlevel 3
@Saiyan Yes google it: Soundcloud .apk Ver.2.8.3 , that's the one you are looking for. You won't find it on Google Play.

You can install it directly from you device , provided that you enabled you Android for the developers mode.
Otherwise follow my instructions on how to install it from a PC connected to your device (see above).

Ciao.
Userlevel 2
Hi SPCE,

Cheers,
Mathis

Your mobile engineers improved nothing for users who only have access to wifi.
Hi SPCE,

Cheers,
Mathis

Your mobile engineers sucks! Give us back the old soundcloud!
Userlevel 3
Hey everyone affected by the recent updates, I began rolling back versions and it seems "SoundCloud 15.02.02-45 APK" (release from Feb 4th, 2015) has corrected the issue (at least for me).

I had no trouble today walking (2 minutes on my LTE) to the underground with a consistently cached stream for 40 minutes.

A quick Google of the version and you should be able to find it. APK4Fun worked for me. Be sure to remove your current SoundCloud app, install the back version and then remove automatic updates in your Play store.

Hope that helps some people!

I really doubt that, I ve tried before, the most recent version an mine is the Ver.2.8.3, as I said before, Ciao.
Hi SPCE,

Cheers,
Mathis

Same here , the cache capability of the app was the only reason for me to use that app .But I guess the magic is over , because the whole music ownership issue is yet to be solved completely .At the end of the day it's not the fault of the dev's .
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Application Cache problems with the app.

Alright, so in the past I used to listen to songs on the soundcloud app at home with wifi, and the app would save all the songs I played on my mobile permanently. But recently, it seems that the app is randomly deleting the cache, so when I step out of my house, I can't listen to the songs offline. Anyone else got these problems?!?

An impressive and interesting information, thanks for sharing and great article.
http://shareitforpcz.com/
If you add a parameter in order to choose the Mb size of the cache, that could be great !
Like a lot of users, I used to listen my music with datas, but on the subway, I cannot hear more than 3 songs... Before, my full playlist was in cache 😕
Userlevel 1
Hey everyone affected by the recent updates, I began rolling back versions and it seems "SoundCloud 15.02.02-45 APK" (release from Feb 4th, 2015) has corrected the issue (at least for me).

I had no trouble today walking (2 minutes on my LTE) to the underground with a consistently cached stream for 40 minutes.

A quick Google of the version and you should be able to find it. APK4Fun worked for me. Be sure to remove your current SoundCloud app, install the back version and then remove automatic updates in your Play store.

Hope that helps some people!
Ok so when i said b4 about having a paid version i never thought it would happen (not taking credit). SoundCloud Go. thanks i guess. It seems to address caching 'issue'.

So, I'd say this thread needs a reboot.
Hi SPCE,

Cheers,
Mathis

and the version that i find online that does have cahce function, crashes......
Userlevel 1
Hi SPCE,

Cheers,
Mathis

You can try my fix at the bottom, reverting to a previous release not as far back may fix your crash issue.
Well, at least Soundcloud should have the courtesy to notify their users on Google Play/Apple app store wrt the removal of "large size caching".

Perhaps you guys don't want to scare your users off, hence you choose not to notify us. However, it's just a matter of time users realise how much this is "eating" into their mobile data usage and move on to another music app.
Userlevel 3
Ver.2.8.3. works perfectly with the stream cache memory that we use to have, I've tried the other versions and they do not have it; now we also have the pictures back, fantastic. You won't find it on google play, you need to set your android preferences so that allow you to download from any site (i.e. the site where the Ver.2.8.3.apk file is), or use you PC with the procedure I have posted above. Cheers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi SPCE,

Cheers,
Mathis
Userlevel 3
Just download Ver.2.8.3. installation .apk file from one of the sites available, Playstore won't let you download it. Then disable the app option to update itself, automatically.To install from another site other tha Playstore you need to enable Android for that, setting up the developers' capability in your mobile phone. Ciao.