Question

How do i change the size of the mobile audio cache on android?

• 20 February 2015
  • 79 replies

Show first post

79 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I 've just find out the with Spotify You can manually adjust the size of the cache from between 1GB and 100GB ...wow ... interesting.. I'll give it a try and maybe switch over, unless the Soundcloud developers don't want to think twice about cache streaming option.
Hi Gianfranco,

I can only speak for SoundCloud and not for features that are part of paid plans for other streaming services, good things are in the works.

Hang tight,
Gina
It doesn't make sense cany u confirm?
Hi SPCE,

The caching on previous versions of the app is not a feature of the current app. It was only available to deliver content quicker to the user and allowing a more streamlined experience. Our mobile engineers have since improved the technical capabilities and therefore limited its capacity.

I hope that clears that up for you.

Cheers,
Mathis

So how should I listen to soundcloud every morning in the Tube. There's no coverage underground you know! Just sad. :(
It takes 40 min to get to work. You're definitely not bringing back this feature?
i can only hope they bring it back. for now though, im on 2.8.3. only problem is the images dont display 😞
Hi SPCE,

The caching on previous versions of the app is not a feature of the current app. It was only available to deliver content quicker to the user and allowing a more streamlined experience. Our mobile engineers have since improved the technical capabilities and therefore limited its capacity.

Cheers,
Mathis

This is a problem. It makes the soundcloud app almost unusable while in my car and on otherwise on LTE.
Anyway, for whom who might be interested in this very important feature of Soundcloud, recently very unfortunately removed in the updated versions of the app, the version you are looking for is Ver.2.8.3. Just install it, it still runs with the latest Android (but they will change that, probably), and you'll be back to the good all days of the Soundcloud stream cache size option. Have good listening Folks!
http://www.devfiles.co/download/6sIeC...
Hi SPCE,

Cheers,
Mathis

true, this sucks,
Userlevel 3
Bad news guys: Ver.2.8.3 is now crashing all the times, probably since Android is updating the app won't work anymore. Since no other version seems to have the cache stream (size option), I might downgrade my Android 4.4.2 system and see if it works.

I am checking Ver.15.04.15 it looks like has'got some cache inside ( I can playback offline) but it's noe re-sizable from the settings.

I just don't get why Soundcloud decided to eradicate the Offline cache streaming capability on the new versions. I just don't get that!!! That's a wrong marketing choice, and a shortsighted vision.
Userlevel 3
I 've just find out the with Spotify You can manually adjust the size of the cache from between 1GB and 100GB ...wow ... interesting.. I'll give it a try and maybe switch over, unless the Soundcloud developers don't want to think twice about cache streaming option.
looks like US, Germany, France, and the UK all get about 63 megs of cache. if you change your country to something other than one of those countries, you'll get >500 megs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Application Cache problems with the app.

Alright, so in the past I used to listen to songs on the soundcloud app at home with wifi, and the app would save all the songs I played on my mobile permanently. But recently, it seems that the app is randomly deleting the cache, so when I step out of my house, I can't listen to the songs offline. Anyone else got these problems?!?

Hi Clemens,

Thanks for writing in and hope you found this conversation helpful.

Best,
Gina
Userlevel 3
Caleb, if you install Ver.2.8.3, you can use all the cache your device allows you to, selecting 100% cache size. Eventually you'll get to a point where you device advices you that the memory is full, and you are not able to save any photo or anything else on you device. The camera stops working and so on. That's probably why they took the Cache stream sizing option out of the new versions, since they could not divert the Souncloud app to use the eventually present SD Memory card, even if you move Souncloud to the SD Memory. Ciao.
Userlevel 2
I'm told that i shouldn't whine about the cacheing feature, as it's a free service, but as an artist I resent that. I already pay more for Soundcloud than any other subscription. 3 accounts at 5.99 a month and there's no extra provision or advantage made for subscribers on the app.
Anyway, for whom who might be interested in this very important feature of Soundcloud, recently very unfortunately removed in the updated versions of the app, the version you are looking for is Ver.2.8.3. Just install it, it still runs with the latest Android (but they will change that, probably), and you'll be back to the good all days of the Soundcloud stream cache size option. Have good listening Folks!
that's what i am looking for
thanks mate
I have the apk from mid january 2015 and sometimes it has bugs but i can load so much songs inmy cache. Thats why i have android :)
I got it and it works like a charme. The link is here in this thread some where 🙂
Userlevel 1
people who want to have a streaming cache can easily get it back by reverting to an old version of the soundcloud app so why remove such a well liked option?
Userlevel 3
It's a pleasure to help, I know what you went thru probably, like I did, it's a shame that the Soundcloud developers or whoever makes these kind of decisions, took that feature out of the new versions; and they did it progressively, shortening the cache size a bit by bit, every new version. Unbelievable. Cheers.
Hey everyone affected by the recent updates, I began rolling back versions and it seems "SoundCloud 15.02.02-45 APK" (release from Feb 4th, 2015) has corrected the issue (at least for me).

I had no trouble today walking (2 minutes on my LTE) to the underground with a consistently cached stream for 40 minutes.

A quick Google of the version and you should be able to find it. APK4Fun worked for me. Be sure to remove your current SoundCloud app, install the back version and then remove automatic updates in your Play store.

Hope that helps some people!

15.02.02-45 works for me just fine has the cache size and everything. I just tried both to check plus 2.8.3 is from April 2014 vs Feb 2015 definitely fo with the 15.02.02 apk
I just want to add my voice to this by saying that the removal of the offline cache from the iphone app was disastrous for my workflow. I was able to use the old version of the app until a few months ago, but now I can barely use Soundcloud at all. I am a paid subscriber and I've bought this issue up with the app dev team several times over the last year or so and the last time I got an update a few months ago, the response was the least encouraging one I'd had yet - so I hope you are right Gina, because I got the impression that reinstating the offline cache is a long way down the list of upcoming developments. If there was an alternative to soundcloud for my purposes as a producer, I would leave in a shot. It's going to take a long time for Soundcloud to rebuild the trust they lost with me and I assume other producers.
Exactly. I pay for 3 subscriptions, so I'm not accepting the "Don't complain, it's a free service" stuff. I use both iPhone and Android, and never use the iPhone app as it's trash. The Android one I've at lease been able to install an old version and prevent updates so it retains the cache.
Userlevel 3
I was able to listen to 20minutes of offline cached music today. compared with something like 20hrs tha I use to do before... ridicolous ...
Userlevel 3
Hi SPCE,

Cheers,
Mathis

HI Xc3llerator , after following your procedure I noticed first of all tha Ver. 15.02.02-45 does not support Cache streaming at all, an also has a bug that does not allow the app tp connect to the internet. Sorry but I have to stick to Ver.2.8.3, although it crashes after a few days and right now it looks like it doesn't want to work anymore, I will try My cloudplayer for Soundcloud, and see ... Cheers.
Baffling that the 2 year old version of your app that I'm now running offers such a massive improvement in user experience.
The assertion that it was OK to remove caching because the app was smooth enough without is utter nonsense. I've used the soundcloud app across 5 different devices and countless updates since 2014 and today was literally the first time it's been bug and stutter free.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Gina, Mathis, or any other SoundCloud employee:

SoundCloud is losing users because this feature was removed (and my own usage has declined significantly). I don't really understand how SoundCloud benefits from having users spend less time on their app (whether online or offline). Why not allow caching (in some encrypted fashion so users cannot transfer the cached/downloaded songs to other devices like the Zune used to do; this should ease concerns over licensing) then pre-download advertisements and queue them to play during offline listening?

I have always been a big fan of this company and the music community behind it, but it's sad to see them remove features they once had, especially when there are competitors that offer this feature. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to monetize offline listening. I'm truly baffled here.

Hi there gurrsty,

Thanks for providing feedback around this and explaining your point of view, which I can understand. I went forwarded your input to the relevant product team.

Cheers
Mathis
Userlevel 3
Hi SPCE,

Cheers,
Mathis

OK My Cloud player for Soundcloud is a great app with a lot of nice features, and it's helping to cope with the fact that SoundCloud Ver.2.8.3 doesn't seem to install anymore ...sob ... but My Cloud player for Soundcloud is not customizable as far as choosing the size of the memory to be dedicated to the caching, moreover in the progress bar of the songs, does not show how much of the song it's being actually pre-loaded, so that under Wi-fi you could load in a few minutes tons of podcasts skipping ahead of the progress bar, while the bar was becoming more black instead of shaded in grey) and then get out of your home and play them for hours. It's sad but SoundCloud Ver.2.8.3, stays unbeaten.