Question

How do i change the size of the mobile audio cache on android?

• 20 February 2015
  • 79 replies

The new Soundcloud app on android looks good, taking googles material design into effect, but it seems to be missing some features. Specifically the option to chose the size of your mobile audio cache for playing audio offline. Is there a way to change this, or is it removed completely? Will it be added back in the future?

This is not related to the question above, but I've also noticed that the people you follow on pc show up as unfollowed on the android mobile app. This should probably be looked into.

79 replies

Userlevel 3
Hi Guys, what Mathis is trying to say in a polite way, is that that feature that all Soundcloud users liked best, the possibility of cache streaming, it does not exist anymore. That's very bad, this way you can only listen to the mixes or podcasts or whatever, only if you are connected online. THERE IS NO OFFLINE CACHE STREAMING ANYMORE!!!! It started just like SPCE said, with taking out the option of sizing the cache memory; I remember having it very high 100%, so I could store hours of music and playing back when I was in No-wifi zones. This only makes it very clear on how Soundcloud wants to procede on this confrontation between the free access to the information and shared music and the big corporations. What is very unfortunate in this picture is that this is advantaging only the Telecom networks and providers and goes against the free access to music info's and sharing, that once it use to represent and defend, what they once stand tall against. Shame on you ... The ones who forget where they came from, are doomed to vanish just like their short memories ...
Userlevel 1
Yeah brutal move SoundCloud devs.

I used to be able to walk from my house to the train and have enough music buffered until I arrived at work (and visa versa). I don't even make it down the stairs before it cuts out.

I spent a bit of time this morning trying to isolate the right keywords to find the issue "increase streaming cache", needless to say SoundCloud you've certainly pissed off a mass amount of your mobile users.

I would look to correcting this issue ASAP. I'm going back to 2.8.3 in the meantime.
Userlevel 1
Hi SPCE,

The caching on previous versions of the app is not a feature of the current app. It was only available to deliver content quicker to the user and allowing a more streamlined experience. Our mobile engineers have since improved the technical capabilities and therefore limited its capacity.

I hope that clears that up for you.

Cheers,
Mathis

I hate this version of soundcloud. Cache feature was one of the best things about this music app. Now I am forced to be connected to the internet and use data. You guys made a horrible decision and are really incompetent for it.
Userlevel 2
Hi SPCE,

The caching on previous versions of the app is not a feature of the current app. It was only available to deliver content quicker to the user and allowing a more streamlined experience. Our mobile engineers have since improved the technical capabilities and therefore limited its capacity.

Cheers,
Mathis

Absolutely batshit decision. I ended up using half a GIGABYTE listening to music on Saturday, music I'd already listened to on my WiFi...so guess what, I went over my data allowance.

Thanks.
Hi SPCE,

Cheers,
Mathis

This is complete bullshit. Why would you take away a feature that allowed us to listen to songs we have in our daily routine carefree and now we get f'd by using so much data every time we use your product. Guess you don't want people using Soundcloud whenever they aren't connected to wifi. Was fun using Soundcloud to listen to tunes on my way to work every day but guess those days are over
Hi SPCE,

Cheers,
Mathis

Yeah i hope this feature returns SOUNDCLOUD,it was perfect.
Otherwise i will move to google play
Hi SPCE,

Cheers,
Mathis

Is this response for real? How did a product manager not handle this correctly? If they say that caching is being moved to membership only I'd at least understand. This response leads me to believe soundcloud is mismanaging their mobile support which really is what everyone uses this app for anyway...
Hi SPCE,

Cheers,
Mathis

Common man i would use this app so much more if i had a decent cache size,when i'm at work i don't feel i should have use half a gig of data a day to play my playlist it really irritates me. This used to be my favorite music app but i feel like im just gonna stop using it all together R.I.P. Sound Cloud 😞
Userlevel 3
Anyway, for whom who might be interested in this very important feature of Soundcloud, recently very unfortunately removed in the updated versions of the app, the version you are looking for is Ver.2.8.3. Just install it, it still runs with the latest Android (but they will change that, probably), and you'll be back to the good all days of the Soundcloud stream cache size option. Have good listening Folks!
Hi SPCE,

Cheers,
Mathis

Agreed. Totally useless change which makes the app unusable for the millions of people who commute by subway. Since that was the only time I used the app, uninstalling it.
I 've just find out the with Spotify You can manually adjust the size of the cache from between 1GB and 100GB ...wow ... interesting.. I'll give it a try and maybe switch over, unless the Soundcloud developers don't want to think twice about cache streaming option.
Sounds positive. Fingers crossed they restore the cache feature as it's a real nightmare when travelling on the London Underground between station as wi-fi is only available when the tube is in the station. I used to be able to cache enough music for the whole journey!
Hi SPCE,

Cheers,
Mathis

Sorry but this is the worst thing that could have happened to Soundcloud. Looks like I'll be moving to spotify where I'll have to pay for music. sigh
Hi SPCE,

Cheers,
Mathis

R.I.P. SoundCloud - used to be so on-the-go friendly, now you're a data/battery fiend. Such a shame that your engineers saw this as an improvement.

How do you consider an incapability to play sounds without an Internet connection "streamlined experience" for your core mobile users?

Places I will no longer listen to SoundCloud: commute, cottage, park, beach (anyplace but work or home).

Really sad news, SoundCloud. 😢
Simply put. I think we'd all happily pay a subscription for SoundCloud to be as it was in the glory days.

thanks
Hi SPCE,

Cheers,
Mathis

I hate you guys took this out, it was when you got out of service for an extended amount of time.. now stuff stops playing after couple mins of non data connectivity.. BRING IT BACK.. boooo!
Gina, Mathis, or any other SoundCloud employee:

SoundCloud is losing users because this feature was removed (and my own usage has declined significantly). I don't really understand how SoundCloud benefits from having users spend less time on their app (whether online or offline). Why not allow caching (in some encrypted fashion so users cannot transfer the cached/downloaded songs to other devices like the Zune used to do; this should ease concerns over licensing) then pre-download advertisements and queue them to play during offline listening?

I have always been a big fan of this company and the music community behind it, but it's sad to see them remove features they once had, especially when there are competitors that offer this feature. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to monetize offline listening. I'm truly baffled here.

Hi Mattis,
I can only agree with so much that has already been said – the loss of cache functionality really affects usability. Poor network spots when driving, commuting on underground trains, abroad and wishing to avoid high tariff charges.... I write to add momentum and support to returning this much needed feature. Please please please continue to pass our wishes to have the much needed feature re-enabled.
Userlevel 2
Removing cache options from soundcloud mobile is a mistake.

I use soundcloud mobile on my tablet exclusively due to its large storage capacity and long battery life. For the past year and a half I've used soundcloud mobile to listen to music while on road trips and on airplanes by making sure I had cached music before I left.

Now almost nothing is cached unless I start playing something while on wifi and pause it before I leave.

If caching is not restored I'll just develop my own GPL app to cache songs from my likes. Screw you guys.
I have the apk from mid january 2015 and sometimes it has bugs but i can load so much songs inmy cache. Thats why i have android 🙂
I'm going to try and keep this as polite as possible. Caching is an essential part of any mobile music streaming experience. Whoever made this decision is literally the worst.
I politely request that the caching feature be brought back. It is the most important feature for this app.
Thank you!
Hi SPCE,

Cheers,
Mathis

That update screwEd Up the whole app
I also really miss the caching option. 😞
Hi SPCE,

Cheers,
Mathis

Exactly, the old feature was prime.. now it sucks especially if traveling around and hit pockets of no mobile data
Hi SPCE,

Cheers,
Mathis

What are your advice to me, which has a 1GB traffic / month outside my wifi? To ditch your service and get my music from somewhere that provides a better service?
I try to understand your reasoning here but its impossble unless you actually want to make a bad service. I would like offline cache for playlists exactly the same way spotify has for free songs and songs i bought.
I was rocking the old soundcloud app (back when caching was still a thing) for the longest time, despite the version having MASSIVE bugs (probably due to more recent backend updates... Album art wouldn't load, new songs from search would refuse to play, etc etc) - but I suffered through it because the caching was worth it.

A couple cases where caching really saves the day:
1. Mobile deadzones without wifi. I used to love skiing and listening to soundcloud - can't do it anymore. Same with airplanes.
2. Conserving mobile data while traveling (to/from work, in the car, etc etc). Soundcloud is now my largest data hog, by far.

Despite the much more functional (and pretty) app, Soundcloud is no longer a suitable choice for my listening habits. I would have been totally willing to listen to cached ads, etc, but now you've forced me to simply use a web soundcloud downloader so I can scrape my playlists and dump them into Google Play Music.

Until mobile coverage is near flawless and most data plans are unlimited, caching is a necessity on mobile. Bring it back.