How to disable notifications on your Android device

• 8 January 2016
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

If you prefer to not receive SoundCloud notifications on your Android device follow these steps:

On a Google device

-Swipe down on the right side of the status bar and touch the “Settings” icon.
-In the “Device” section of the “Settings” screen, touch “Apps.”
-On the “Apps” screen, scroll through the list of apps and touch the app for which you want to stop receiving notifications.
-The “App info” screen displays for the selected app. Touch the “Show notifications” check box so there’s no check mark in the box.
-A dialog box displays making sure you really want to turn off notifications. Touch “OK” to disable notifications for this app.
-The “Show notifications” check box is de-selected. To return to the Home screen, touch the “Back” button on the device three times or touch the device’s “Home” button.

On a Samsung device

-Swipe down from the status bar and touch the settings gear button in the upper-right corner.
-In the “Device” section of the “Settings” screen, touch “Applications.”
-On the “Applications” screen, touch “Application manager.”
-The “Application manager” screen displays with lists of “Downloaded” apps, apps on the “SD card,” “Running” apps, and “All” apps. Select an app for which you want to stop showing notifications from one of these lists by touching the app.
-The “App info” screen displays for the selected app. Touch the “Show notifications” check box so there’s no check mark in the box.-A dialog box displays making sure you really want to turn off notifications. Touch “OK” to disable notifications for this app.-The “Show notifications” check box is de-selected. To return to the “Home” screen, touch the “Back” button on the device four times or touch the device’s “Home” button.

Got confused along the way? Here are the instructions with pictures.

Cheers,
Gina & Mathis

17 replies

Dear SoundCloud, I registered here specifically to comment on this.

I understand it's your business decision to push those trending notifications despite showing the options "allowing" to disable them inside the app, but you should be more open about it, as currently it's super confusing for the user.

1. I receive the first notification
2. Okay, I don't want that, let's see if I can disable them inside the app.
3. Okay, great, I've found the settings and I disable them all,
4. Next day I receive next notification - what's going on? I recheck if I've disabled them all, they're all disabled. I restart the app, think about clearing it's cache - maybe it's some bug? Okay, I re-enable, re-disable all notifications and go on with my day.
5. The next day I receive yet another notification. Okay, notification settings are still unchecked, maybe option for it is in another place? Not really. I look online and find this thread, this behavior is annoying other users for over a year and is basically unanswered (option to disable app notifications system wide is not a solution, notification with playing controls is primary interface by which we interact with this app when listening to music and disabling it provides much worse experience).
6. OK, I finally get it, it's your business decision but you're communicating it poorly.

It's okay to push things on users to keep business running, most free-tier apps use ads. But they're usually verbose about it saying "adds are only in free versions, if you don't want them, use paid option" and that's perfectly fine!

Your solution on the other hand goes directly against what the user expects once he has been given notification settings and turning them off doesn't work. which result's in user's disappointment and anger.

You're probably aware of it, you're probably aware you're loosing some users over this, I'm myself very surprised how little of us is there to complain about it, which probably proves your point to enforce it on users. But in the very least you could be open about it and communicate with your users - it doesn't change your strategy, but changes how you are perceived and it should matter to you.
btw. This is NOT a fix. This is a workaround...
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Push notifications are waking my screen and there is no option to turn them off!.

I am on a Nexus 6p running the most current version of Android.

Soundcloud has recently started sending push notifications to my phone and waking the screen,
I do not want this and there is nothing in the notification options in Soundcloud that turn this off.

I had to block all Soundcloud notifications in the phone's settings in order to get this to stop. However, this also blocks the ability to use the pulldown menu's functions for Soundcloud as well as the lockscreen functionality.

Why are there no options to stop these push notifications from waking the screen?

In my comment you can see that I have already implemented your "fix" however as stated above, turning off notifications in the phone's settings disables the soundcloud controls in both the pulldown menu and the lock screen. Not and acceptable fix!
Or you could do the more community-friendly thing and not send notifications a user hasn't asked for. If you're finding that your mobile notification options don't cover all then notifications you want to send to Soundcloud users, expand the list and let the community define what they want in their mobile experience.

If the only option is disabling all notifications at the app level, it sends a message that "Hi, we're Soundcloud and we don't care about you."
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled notifications on android app cant be turned off.

Hey! So i want to turn off all notifications in the app (no popups or "this is a new track" notifications). I have turned off everything in the android app (which should be enough to remove all notificatiosn imo). but still i get notifications in my androind notifications drawer. so, my question is, how can i remove it?
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled [Soundcloud App - Android] Keep receiving notifications despite all notification ....

I have one Tablet and one Phone both using the Soundcloud app for Android, despite all notification settings turned "Off" on both instances, I still receive at least one to two notifications per day.
These are notifications about artists I follow uploading tracks.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled app does not stop notices.

How do you remove all android notices. Very bothersome

I posted this above but it hasn't been addressed yet so I am going to post it again;

In my comment you can see that I have already implemented your "fix" however as stated above, turning off notifications in the phone's settings disables the soundcloud controls in both the pulldown menu and the lock screen. Not and acceptable fix!
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Push notifications are waking my screen and there is no option to turn them off!.

I am on a Nexus 6p running the most current version of Android.

Soundcloud has recently started sending push notifications to my phone and waking the screen,
I do not want this and there is nothing in the notification options in Soundcloud that turn this off.

I had to block all Soundcloud notifications in the phone's settings in order to get this to stop. However, this also blocks the ability to use the pulldown menu's functions for Soundcloud as well as the lockscreen functionality.

Why are there no options to stop these push notifications from waking the screen?
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Multiple notifications on followers or likes.

It's quite annoying to get the same notifications over and over again. I have this issue since months! The notifications appear multiple times on likes or followers randomly
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Multiple notifications on followers or likes.

It's quite annoying to get the same notifications over and over again. I have this issue since months! The notifications appear multiple times on likes or followers randomly

My issue is misplaced in this thread, I'll reopen it
How is it that using this workaround (thank you for Bateau for calling out what it really is) results in more unwanted notifications?

I unchecked notifications within my settings. Yesterday I got a notification and discovered you had changed MY setting on MY phone. WTF Soundcloud. Disregarding my account settings is bad enough. Changing my application settings on my phone is over the line. Whatever revenue or twisted marketing goal your team has cooked up is not worth f'ing with your community like this.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can't switch off "trending" notifications.

(running SoundCLoud on android Marshmallow 6x on Nexus 5x)

How do I stop the SoundCloud app giving me "trending" notifications? I only care about new material for artists I follow (aka not those guys below)

All the trending tracks I've been notified about are easily discoverable artists: Fiddy, Fetty, The Weeknd

It feels kind of redundant for SC to notify me of these artists as it's more difficult these days to go through life WITHOUT being aware of their output.

I noticed SC has closed a similar thread on this issue but really, it's not at all fixed.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can't switch off "trending" notifications.

(running SoundCLoud on android Marshmallow 6x on Nexus 5x)

How do I stop the SoundCloud app giving me "trending" notifications? I only care about new material for artists I follow (aka not those guys below)

All the trending tracks I've been notified about are easily discoverable artists: Fiddy, Fetty, The Weeknd

It feels kind of redundant for SC to notify me of these artists as it's more difficult these days to go through life WITHOUT being aware of their output.

I noticed SC has closed a similar thread on this issue but really, it's not at all fixed.

Thanks for this, so the only option is to turn off *all* notifications from SC as there's no option in the app to turn off just 'trending' notifications?

That's hard on the artists who update with new content, they rely on followers manually checking back as, because of trending, there will be no update on new content...
This does not work at all.
I have all the notifications turned off & yet I STILL get them & they are incredibly annoying.
I thought that the GDPR regulations meant I had to explicitly opt in to receiving them.
I have never been given the option to do that so the responsibility of disabling notifications lies with you & NOT with me. They should be all set to off by default. By you. Not by me on my mobile device.
Sort it out.
You guys are the absolute worst for implementing IRRELEVANT notifications that CANNOT BE TURNED OFF at the application level. Thanks for allowing you're engineers (or terrible project managers/ owners) to ruin such a great service. I will only come to your site to rip songs going forward. Terrible.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled app does not stop notices.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Please give above troubleshooting tips a try.

-Gina