Question

Illegitimately obtaining MP3s of non-downloadable songs (Android)

• 28 November 2014
  • 5 replies

While playing around with my somewhat old Android device (Android 2.3.5 running what I believe is the latest version of SoundCloud), I noticed that I can move complete MP3s to my computer, essentially allowing for downloading of non-downloadable songs pretty easily. I can do this by moving to the com.soundcloud.android/files/stream/Complete/ folder. I'm not sure if this can be easily fixed, but it seems like somewhat of a problem.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there Mark,

Thanks for posting. Hmm, let's see - I've just tried to reproduce this from over here, but couldn't. I would like to gather some more information in order to further investigate and bring this to our mobile team.

Could you please provide as many of the following details as possible?

- Your phone model.
- If you have any custom roms installed.
- The app version.

Specifics about the problems you are having:
- The frequency of the problem (is such file created every time you play a track? Or just some of the time? - Also, can you provide one song with which you've done that and let us know the exact name and file extension of the file you then found in the Android folder?)

Thank you in advance for the additional information.

Cheers,
Mathis
Hi there Mark,

Thanks for posting. Hmm, let's see - I've just tried to reproduce this from over here, but couldn't. I would like to gather some more information in order to further investigate and bring this to our mobile team.

Could you please provide as many of the following details as possible?

- Your phone model.
- If you have any custom roms installed.
- The app version.

Specifics about the problems you are having:
- The frequency of the problem (is such file created every time you play a track? Or just some of the time? - Also, can you provide one song with which you've done that and let us know the exact name and file extension of the file you then found in the Android folder?)

Thank you in advance for the additional information.

Cheers,
Mathis

Model: SCH-I500 (Samsung Galaxy S / Samsung Fascinate), branded with Verizon but not activated
No custom roms - using default factory settings
SoundCloud version 14.11.03-35

File path once connected to my Linux machine:
/media/marksill/07EF-1918/Android/data/com.soundcloud.android/files/stream/Complete/

Picture of files:

They don't have their .mp3 file extension, but they can be played directly. On Windows it should be possible to add the extension for it to work (but I can't test that here).
Picture of one of the files playing with zero modification:

Link to the song that's playing is https://soundcloud.com/ryantaubert/revolution
This song's file name is 079cbd65c9722f6c25d1a5c541910c82. No file extension, but is definitely encoded as MP3. There is a file for every song in my Likes list, as I listen to that a lot, and also for some others that I found while browsing. In total, there is currently around 700MB of cached files here.
I'd like to say that this is not solved unless SoundCloud is planning on not doing anything about this. I've tested this with my newer tablet which runs SoundCloud version 15.03.12-59,

and I am still able to do this. I also tested it with Windows 8.1's native media player and am able to play the files, both without modification and by changing the file extension to .mp3.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi again Mark,

Thank you for getting back to me about this and for providing all those details. The version of the app you're currently using is old actually - our developers have have changed how this works in new versions of the app. The most current version of our app is 15.03.06-1093 - once you install that, you should not be able to play any new tracks that you've listened to in the way you were before.

Can you try that and see how it goes?

Cheers
Mathis
Hi again Mark,

Thank you for getting back to me about this and for providing all those details. The version of the app you're currently using is old actually - our developers have have changed how this works in new versions of the app. The most current version of our app is 15.03.06-1093 - once you install that, you should not be able to play any new tracks that you've listened to in the way you were before.

Can you try that and see how it goes?

Cheers
Mathis

Sorry for the very late reply, but yes, I can no longer do this.