Answered

Loud static issues

Within the last couple of weeks I have noticed that many of the ads have high volume static instead of the audio. I do not have this issue with any other apps, just the ads on Soundcloud. Is this an isolated issue? Anyone else having this problem? If so, how do we fix it?
icon

Best answer by Carrie Hall 7 June 2019, 17:31

Hi all,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with ads. It would really help us to pinpoint the issues if you could answer the following:
  • Device / OS version
  • Which ad was playing (a quick description will do)
  • Your country (just so we can pinpoint where the ads are coming from)
It would be worthwhile joining the Beta program where we are trialling fixes for similar playback issues, so please try that and let us know if the issue persists.
View original

25 replies

Brian, I have experienced the same problem. It seems to happen when I am NOT connected to WIFI. So that means I experience this in my car, through my earbuds or anywhere there is no WIFI connected. The sound is deafening to ones ears with earbuds on!! I noticed that when I am connected to WIFI at home I still have the static. But when I connect to the WIFI at work, it does NOT play ads with static. Also it is not all of the ads, just the same ad every time it plays. Other ads do not do this. When you find out the problem, please be sure to post it so we all will know! It's very frustrating!!!!!
Userlevel 1
I am having the same issue. For me it happens for video ads specifically, but I am not sure if it is one in particular or more than one. It blasts max volume static in my left headphone and practically blows out my eardrum.
Userlevel 3
Hi all,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with ads. It would really help us to pinpoint the issues if you could answer the following:
  • Device / OS version
  • Which ad was playing (a quick description will do)
  • Your country (just so we can pinpoint where the ads are coming from)
It would be worthwhile joining the Beta program where we are trialling fixes for similar playback issues, so please try that and let us know if the issue persists.
Userlevel 1
I just had this happen twice tonight. Static is very, very, loud - easily audible through earbuds without even wearing them. Honestly, it may be literally harmful. To answer the above questions:
  • Device: Samsung Galaxy S6
  • Ad playing: Both times it was an "XFinity mobile" video add that starts by showing a blue map. Video stutters while static blasts. I paused the ad to write this up. When I played the add again, the issue went away and the ad continued without stutter. Maybe it is related to loading?
Userlevel 1
This is a big problem so please take it seriously Soundcloud instead of bullshitting your way out of it. We are not lying when we say it could literally be deafening.
Userlevel 1
It just happened again. The above posters are right though, after it happens my hearing in my left ear is temporarily damaged, and all i can hear is a high pitch tone and I have a pounding headache. This has been a problem for weeks now. At some point this is just something to pass on to the FCC and have them handle it because it seems like Soundcloud is not taking this seriously.

Device:
Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Ad:
this time it wasn't a video ad. I could not hear the ad, but the image is of a blue best buy/verizon phone ad.
I also paused and played the ad after writing this and the static was not there.
USA
Userlevel 1
Had the same exact thing happen again, only an hour after the last time with the same Best Buy/Verizon ad
The same exact thing happens to me, but I only get blasted with static when I'm on the WIFI at my workplace. It doesn't happen at home or over my mobile network. It started sporadically a few months ago, but now it happens during every ad. I have to close the app for it to stop. The static only comes through the left side of my headphones. Please fix this, as I really like listening to music and podcasts while at work.

Device: Samsung Galaxy J7
Android version 7.0
Userlevel 1
It happened again with the same Best Buy/Verizon ad with the blue background and yellow text.

Device: Samsung Note 5
Android Version: 7.0

My last comment with my device information was not approved apparently, so here is the information again.
Userlevel 1
I just had this happen again, this time when I was connected to my mobile data network. The report in https://community.soundcloud.com/android-230073/loud-static-issues-7431025#post18075102 happened when I was connected to home WiFi. This time, the static continued through the first 10 seconds or so of the next song after the ad finished.

• Device: Samsung Galaxy S6
  • Ad playing: This time it was a video add in spanish for Verizon/Galaxy phone.
This just happened again a few minutes ago. I listened to an hour long mix, then as soon as it ended, and ad came on. My left ear got blasted with max volume static again. Soundcloud, Please do something about this! I can't use your app anymore with it like this.

Device: Samsung Galaxy J7
Android version 7.0
Thanks for the ear rape soundcloud. I have a samsung galaxy halo. 💐🕯️👂🕯️💐 rest in f#cking peace ear drums.
This static with ads happens whenever I have an aux in my phone. So If my phone's connected in the car or through headphones, the static will sound within the first few seconds of an ad playing. I have to disconnect and close then reopen the app. Seems to always happen after the first song plays then doesn't happen again for the rest of the day. Don't think the specific ad is relevant, never bother to look/always immediately stop the app. On a galaxy S6. Seems like this problem has been going on for a while, too long for a music-app...
I am also struggling with this. I cannot overstate how deafeningly loud this static sound is. It is quite possibly the loudest sound I have heard in my entire life and please do not think I am exaggerating, I am not. Attached to this is information including the ad that was playing and my device information.

I am using a Samsung galaxy s6 active and I live in Oklahoma. USA.

This is continuing. It is also now playing on this ad. I have no problem listening to advertisements but this is seriously damaging to the ears. This problem was not present a year ago. I have headphones in, the ad will not continue playing so the timer is also paused while it makes the static noise. It is so loud that for the next hour or so after it occurs I experience tinnitus.

This must be fixed ASAP as it is a legitimat health risk to your users.

android s6. Just happened for the 5th time and I've been with sound cloud for years. It happens only when I have a headset in and it blasts both my eardrums. If this continues and I have any permanent damage I'm going to lawyer up and get retribution. I do not mess around with this, you are single handedly destroying my hearing. Make your product safe for human consumption or face the consequences it's as simple as that, it happens with experian ads for me with the weird surfer dude who has curley hairs talks about some crap I don't listen to because I have to mute every freaking ad you guys put up due to fear of that static.
TThIs just happened to me as I was listening to SLEEP MUSIC BECAUSE I HAVE CHRONIC SLEEP DISORDERS and broke the left side of my FIVE HUNDRED DOLLAR HEADPHONES stop giving us your bullshit and fix this shit I WOULD LIKE TO SLEEP

Edit: can't hear shit out of my left ear now and barely can hear in my right ear. Thanks for crippling me for life and I will always see SoundCloud as a bioweapon
This is happeneing to me, its the 'a killer game of hide and seek, ready or not' ad that always has the static, i keep my volume low but it fucking ear rapes the hell outta me and nearly gives me a heart attack every time, it only happens in the left earbud too. Please fix yo shit soundcloud
I'm uninstalling, the soundcloud app is actually causing physical harm. Allowing this issue to continue for months is irresponsible.

Make a public apology when the issue is fixed so I know when it's safe to reinstall.
Just had this today. SoundCloud is ignoring this issue.

Keep an eye out for a lawsuit. Make sure to document when you've had the issue and any records on hearing exams you've had after having your ears blasted with static.
Thank goodness I'm not the only one with this problem. I thought I was going insane.

The noise that's coming out of these ads is simply absurd and potentially life ruining. I uninstalled the app, because, while it comes up infrequently, it's absolutely deafening. It is possibly the loudest noise to come out of any device I have ever had. I am NOT exaggerating. This is absolutely NOT OKAY. THIS WILL EVENTUALLY HARM SOMEONE, I CAN GUARANTEE IT.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 5/Android 7.0
  • ANY AD. IT DID NOT MATTER. IT IS YOUR APP THAT IS DOING THIS.
It's been happening with me too, I tried to contact them in the "contact support" section and they sent me a generic auto response email. They apparently don't care about their users going deaf. I RIP my headphones out everytime i hear an ad come on, or a pause of silence, just in case. It literally is going to blow out someone's ears. Imagine someone on a motorcycle or something....shocked by this BLASTING noise out of nowhere and not being able to take them off. Does not matter which AD. And they wonder why they're constantly on the edge of bankruptcy.
This is continuing to happen. There is no word from any soundcloud official on this. This is actually physically dangerous and the company is completely silent on it. They recommend that you upgrade to their subscription service as a 'work-around' to avoid the potential hearing damage. This seems highly unethical not to mention illegal. They recommend you try their best program but this is full on the play store and cannot be installed.
This has been happening to me for months and I mostly will not listen to sound cloud on my phone because of this. It only happens when headphones are in and im on a Samsung galaxy 6. This is a serious problem that needs to be fixed. The fuzz is so loud that it absolutely WILL deafen someone. The fact that this hasn't been fixed yet shows a lack of responsibility on soundclouds part. Soundcloud will have lawsuits against them because of this. If someone makes a video measuring the decibels that this glitch creates, compared to the decibels required to cause permanent hearing damage, that video will go viral and will be a PR nightmare for sound cloud. Even if listening to music on half volume, an ad will pop up and create a sound that is as loud as putting your ear next to a car horn. I cannot imagine the decibels generated if listening at a higher volume. I am posting this all over reddit and on any social media I can because this needs to be fixed, and clearly, sound cloud can not be bothered to fix it without a little push. Fix this.
Thank goodness I'm not the only one with this problem. I thought I was going insane.

The noise that's coming out of these ads is simply absurd and potentially life ruining. I uninstalled the app, because, while it comes up infrequently, it's absolutely deafening. It is possibly the loudest noise to come out of any device I have ever had. I am NOT exaggerating. This is absolutely NOT OKAY. THIS WILL EVENTUALLY HARM SOMEONE, I CAN GUARANTEE IT.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 5/Android 7.0
  • ANY AD. IT DID NOT MATTER. IT IS YOUR APP THAT IS DOING THIS.

I have the EXACT same phone with the same issue this is not okay. It's so frustrating that sound cloud hasn't done anything about this, when I posted about this situation MONTHS ago.