Answered

Audio Quality

• 27 February 2017
  • 11 replies

The audio quality of the track uploaded on to Soundcloud is really poor, when compared to the track on my computer.
icon

Best answer by Trick Rick 1 March 2017, 00:13

That's good to hear. It really has been doing my head in. I spend hours, if not days, mixing and eqing everything and it sounds great on Cubase, I then download it to Soundcloud - or Reverbnation - and it sounds awful. No dynamic range, no high or low frequencies.

That's because they encode your music to 128 kbps mp3 format to ensure playback is smooth when streaming. But truth is this was useful 10 years ago. Now mostly everyone can stream high quality content with high-speed internet. It's sad that they don't update this! I totally feel your pain.
View original

11 replies

Userlevel 2
The audio quality of the track uploaded on to Soundcloud is really poor, when compared to the track on my computer.

Is this a question or a statement?
A statement.
Userlevel 2
A statement.

Well, I've got to agree then.
That's good to hear. It really has been doing my head in. I spend hours, if not days, mixing and eqing everything and it sounds great on Cubase, I then download it to Soundcloud - or Reverbnation - and it sounds awful. No dynamic range, no high or low frequencies.
Userlevel 2

That's because they encode your music to 128 kbps mp3 format to ensure playback is smooth when streaming. But truth is this was useful 10 years ago. Now mostly everyone can stream high quality content with high-speed internet. It's sad that they don't update this! I totally feel your pain.
Thanks very much for telling me that I didn't know they did that. I've been thinking for ages that it's my fault, that maybe my audio files weren't recorded properly. Do you know if I created my own website I could have better quality audio files?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Thanks for discussing this here on the Help Community - valuable feedback for our product teams. This right here might be an interesting read for the two of you.

Best
Mathis
Hi Mathis
Thanks very much for the information, I'll give it a read. I really have been getting down/fed up with the quality of the audio when I listen to it on Soundcloud. Now I know what's happening I'll try and do something about it.
Regards

Phil
I totally agree with that statement. I just uploaded a new track (I did not since a while) and I was totally confused by the quality I've got. The encoding totally destroyed my original mix. How am I supposed to use soundcloud as a showcase of my work, if my work is downgraded. What is Soundcloud's staff doing ? I'm really disappointed.
I totally agree. I'm sending stuff to publishers and I'm embarrassed by the audio quality. I'm thinking maybe if you have your own website you can load WAV files. I'm going to look into it. The only problem of course is that starting your own website costs quite a bit of money a month and Soundcloud is free.
Userlevel 5
I totally agree with that statement. I just uploaded a new track (I did not since a while) and I was totally confused by the quality I've got. The encoding totally destroyed my original mix. How am I supposed to use soundcloud as a showcase of my work, if my work is downgraded. What is Soundcloud's staff doing ? I'm really disappointed.

Yep along with downgrading everything else, & now the sounds downgraded from 128kbps to fooking 64kbps lol, unreal why we are all still paying for premium accounts and putting up with this!