Question

Wrongfully accused of copyright infringement.

• 12 October 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi I have copyright strikes but for the wrong reasons. I entered a Spinnin' records remix contest and per contest instructions I uploaded my remix to soundcloud as did many others. The artist wasn't aware of this and filed a copyright infringement claim with soundcloud. I have proof of all of this. If filed disputes but those were rejected. Ho can I solve this.

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hey! Please make sure whether or not your track was copyright striked or copyright detected. If you were striked, that means that you have received a strike on your account by the copyright owner. If it was detected as copyrighted, that means that you did not receive a strike, but it was automatically removed so you didn't receive a strike (meaning the artist did not manually claim your track). Usually, you'll receive a message from SoundCloud if your track was detected as copyrighted.

However, if you did receive a copyright strike, then you should file a dispute with SoundCloud. They will not reject an illegitimate copyright strike. If Spinnin' Records is holding an official remix contest, then the track should not be strictly copyrighted.

Hopefully this helps!
Hi Nate,

Thanks for clearing that up. It might not actually be a strike than after all. I spoke to the artist and he said that I shouldn't have put it on soundcloud. He wasn't aware of the fact that that was specifically wat Spinnin' instructed (see screenshot)

. Now I am rejected for the monetization and figured that was because of a possible strike.

This was the mail I got:

Hi Home of Creation,

It looks like your track

"Whenever (feat. Conor Maynard) Kriss Kross Amsterdam X the Boy Next Door - Home of Creation Remix"

might contain or be a copy of "Whenever (feat. Conor Maynard) [Extended Mix]" by Kris Kross Amsterdam x The Boy Next Door, which is owned by owned by Spinnin' Records (Distribution) in certain territories.

As a result, your track has been removed from your profile for the time being.

– Wait SoundCloud, I think I have the rights to this!

If you think we've made a mistake, you can tell us about it by following the link below and filing a dispute. You can file a dispute if:

• we've wrongly identified the track
• we've correctly identified the track, but you have the rights to post this to SoundCloud - for example, because you are the copyright owner or have permission from the copyright owner(s).

If either of these things apply to you, tell us about it here:
copyright.soundcloud.com/dispute/soun…tes:27153794

To learn more about copyright, please visit our copyright information page: soundcloud.com/pages/copyright.

Thank you,
The SoundCloud Copyright team

I disputed this but was rejected.

Here are all other entries for the contest. https://soundcloud.com/search?q=kriss%20kross%20conor%20remix

Thanks again Nate,

Willard | Home of Creation
Userlevel 1
Badge
Awesome, glad to hear that you didn't receive a copyright strike on your profile!

If Spinnin' Records is accepting submissions via their Talent Pool, then I would send it in through there. They have more than likely geoblocked your territory from uploading anything related to that song onto SoundCloud. Either that, or you can attempt to get your account whitelisted. Good luck on the remix competition! Cheers.
Userlevel 1
Awesome, glad to hear that you didn't receive a copyright strike on your profile!

If Spinnin' Records is accepting submissions via their Talent Pool, then I would send it in through there. They have more than likely geoblocked your territory from uploading anything related to that song onto SoundCloud. Either that, or you can attempt to get your account whitelisted. Good luck on the remix competition! Cheers.

How can you tell the difference between a strike or not?
Userlevel 1
Badge
How can you tell the difference between a strike or not?

Hello! SoundCloud will email and/or message you whether you receive a strike or whether it's simply detected by their copyright database. However, they will let you know whether it was detected by them automatically or whether it was reported by a third party. You can find out more about strikes here.