Question

Auto- play of recommended tracks : option off?

Userlevel 1
When I send a link to one of my tracks, it plays ( once it's done) more tracks automatically ..

It would make sense if it plays more tracks BY ME

let me repeat that :

It would make sense if it plays more tracks BY ME

I send my links to share my tracks only !
I dont want to share tracks of others to my friends

Can u imagine an advert. showing the product then at the end , a recommended list of same products?

I am not saying to remove the recommended tracks on the page
it lets people the freedom to click on them, no problem
Even if it doesn't make sense coz it shows the tracks of people I added... Why are they recommended , it's so different style? doesn't make sense

Example of bad situation :

I send a link of epic music to my friend
She sends me a message

- " wow i loved it, it sounds like club music "

- me : "Wth??? hey sorry friend but it's not my track u listenned, someone else's !"

- my friend : "Oh sorry "

that's kinda embarassing when a friend likes a track and u have to say "oh it's not mine" ....

So yes i know this topic got already mentionned
and please
don't copy paste your answer " algorhythm bla bla"
U can remove that feature easily and hope u won't make it a feature to deactivate after paying.
Coz , and it's not a threat, if it's still like that, i am going to use another site to share my tracks
which is bad coz i do like soundcloud ...

or do i have to remove all my contacts from soundcloud to get a empty recommended list??
or did i miss an autoplay option to unthick ??

thanks

64 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there JosueP,

Thanks for voicing your opinion about that. I do understand your point of view and have forwarded it to the relevant product team accordingly. You have not overlooked anything and seem to be aware of our algorithm - currently, continuous play of recommended tracks is not a feature that can be disabled - sorry.

All the best,
Mathis
We are a church and post mostly sermons. We would prefer that our members listen only to one at a time instead of a continuous play of our sermon tracks. This is pretty frustrating for those who choose to listen, and for the staff who cannot offer them a fix.
Userlevel 2
OPINION!!!!! That really sounds belittling. How is it NOT reasonable for users to ask for the option to turn off the auto-play feature. YouTube got it within a couple of days and now the switch is right there in plain view on the player. WHEN will the continuous play feature be fixed to give us the option? Many times I want to listen to recommended tracks. Sometimes, I absolutely do not. When I am critiquing songwriting or a score or sound track I can't be distracted by monitoring the player so I can pause it before the next song pops on to distract my attention. It is so very frustrating, when listening to a very long piece, to find out that the last ten minutes I just heard was not part of the symphony I was supposed to be critiquing and that last ten minutes of music can never be separated in my mind from the first piece. Forever, I will have a negative feeling toward that song and will never be able to give an objective critique. I held out til the very end before moving to the new SoundCloud because of this very defect. Come on SoundCloud, why would you want to sabotage the loyalty of a segment of your users so they will go with the first utility that comes along that has fixed this. I will never become a paying member on a platform that is run by such an arrogant dictatorship. The END.
Userlevel 3
What's the point of auto-playing recommended tracks anyway? SoundCloud is already a great discovery platform without such annoying features. It makes users feel like they're not in control, and it's not at all obvious that the tracks in the tiny sidebar will be autoplayed after the one visible waveform on the page.

If I want to send a link to my new track, I feel like I have to warn the recipients that some random track will be autoplayed afterwards, and that they have to remember to stop playback (shouldn't be their responsibility!).

I suggest instead that you deactivate autoplay, and make the recommended tracks sidebar more eye-catching, for example by having the "recommended" headline solid black with white text.

Or if you insist on keeping the feature, at least give us the option to deactivate it, like YouTube does.
Userlevel 4
Hi there JosueP,

Thanks for voicing your opinion about that. I do understand your point of view and have forwarded it to the relevant product team accordingly. You have not overlooked anything and seem to be aware of our algorithm - currently, continuous play of recommended tracks is not a feature that can be disabled - sorry.

All the best,
Mathis

Hey how about answering if this is going to be fixed?
Userlevel 2
STOP with the automatic play of "recommended" tracks!!!!! It's driving me crazy! I want to listen to what I want to listen to and NOT other stuff!
Userlevel 3
How about auto-play exemption for all Pro users? 😛
Userlevel 5
How about auto-play exemption for all Pro users? :p
It is such a basic thing it should not be behind a pay wall. Joke or not.
Userlevel 4
How about auto-play exemption for all Pro users? :p
Actually, I wish they would put it behind a paywall.
Then more people would notice how awful this feature is.
Userlevel 5
STOP with the automatic play of "recommended" tracks!!!!! It's driving me crazy! I want to listen to what I want to listen to and NOT other stuff!
Please ask every soundcloud friend that you have to support this thread and submit a request to fix this broken behavior.
Userlevel 2
I completely agree. This is a dealbreaker for me. Having some random, weird track play right after the music I want to share is such a jarring, annoying experience that I'm not willing to use this site until this is fixed.

I would consider upgrading, if a pro account would allow me to NOT have random tracks play when my friends finish listening to the track I wanted to share.
Userlevel 2
Hi there JosueP,

All the best,
Mathis

they won't fix it because it artificially boosts the number of plays that people get on their tracks. I get plays all the time and I pretty certain it's not by the listener's choice.
Userlevel 4
Hi there JosueP,

All the best,
Mathis

Man alive, I had not considered this. So the play counts on all accounts are probably inflated.
The numbers are not to be trusted. Great.
Userlevel 4
We are a church and post mostly sermons. We would prefer that our members listen only to one at a time instead of a continuous play of our sermon tracks. This is pretty frustrating for those who choose to listen, and for the staff who cannot offer them a fix.
They don't respond.
They don't care.
We should leave.
Userlevel 4
Hi there JosueP,

All the best,
Mathis

They don't respond.
They don't care.
We should leave.
Userlevel 4
They don't respond.
They don't care.
We should leave.
Userlevel 4
They don't respond.
They don't care.
We should leave.
Userlevel 2
They don't respond.
They don't care.
We should leave.

They're free. It's another source of amateur online storage/distribution to add to YouTube, Vimeo, et. al.

No point in leaving. Just don't expect anything more than that.
Userlevel 2
They don't respond.
They don't care.
We should leave.

Bandcamp doesn't have many complaints from users that I know. They seem pretty ok with it.
Userlevel 4
They don't respond.
They don't care.
We should leave.

RickNance
No point in leaving? Don't expect more?
My cassette player had an auto play function in 1984. I could turn it off.
I expect more.
Free has nothing to do with it.
Besides, I was going to buy the premium package or whatever it's called.
I was going to give Soundcloud money for their service, to be able to create more playlists for my stuff.
How about then, is it still acceptable if I'm paying for this service?
Don't expect more - man alive. Btw, have you seen the autoplay on/off button on YouTube?
You know, the really, REALLY common sense thing to do.
Userlevel 2
They don't respond.
They don't care.
We should leave.

if you're paying them, then yeah. They should fix it. I just don't really want to bother relying on them in any significant way unless I'm paying them. They're really just a toy.
Userlevel 2
They don't respond.
They don't care.
We should leave.

Hey man, thanks for the kick in the butt. I just set up an account on Bandcamp. It was easy. I've been meaning to for a long time. My stuff's still saved as a draft and I haven't activated it yet, but so far so good.

(also free so far)
Userlevel 1
They don't respond.
They don't care.
We should leave.

Soundcloud you provide a good service but it could be better if you allowed people to disable the "Recommended Song" autoplay feature.
Hi there JosueP,

All the best,
Mathis

Not being able to turn off the automatic play on recommended tracks is totally unacceptable to me. I am going to delete my tracks not and leave SoundCloud.That's a terrible move on your part. Not cool at all.
Userlevel 1
Hi there JosueP,

All the best,
Mathis

Everyone who discovers that Soundcloud plays recommended tracks dislike it. Why can _t Mathis come back with more info!? https://getsatisfaction.com/people/mathis_soundcloud?_ga=1.256407560.281036841.1436904084

All of us need to write more emails to Soundcloud and complain.