Answered

banned for liking too many tracks in a short period of time

Userlevel 2
Introduction/Explanation:

I have never been banned on soundcloud for any reason in the past. Yet in the past 48 hours, I've been banned twice, just for liking songs. The first time, yesterday, was because I unliked and reliked the same song in a short period of time. I did this because of a bug I discovered where old likes weren't being saved to my account and the only way to fix it was by unliking and reliking the track several times successively in order to get the track to "stick" to my account. I was banned a second time, today, this time for two days! because I liked too many songs in a short period of time (I think it was around 250 in 5-10 minutes). The only reason I was liking this many songs in such a short period of time is because I was trying to catch up on liking (and saving for later) the tracks I was able to repost but not like in the time that I was banned the first time. This is extremely annoying to me because all I am trying to do is save the tracks for later, for myself. I am not "spamming" or "unfairly promoting myself". However, issues like these unnecessary bans and disruptive bugs (which really aren't that big of a deal) are starting to make me want to switch back to spotify (which sucks compared to soundcloud) or http://bandcamp.com.

With this being said, I have composed a list of questions that once answered will hopefully straighten things out, prevent me from triggering this ban in the future, and most importantly, ensure my further enjoyment of soundcloud for years to come.

Questions:

1. why exactly was I blocked?
  2. Is the bug (where old likes were disappearing and not staying saved to my account) that indirectly caused me to get banned the first time fixed yet?
  3. How many times did I unlike and relike a track/tracks in order to trigger the first ban?
  4. How many likes and in what time period triggers the second type of "likes" ban I mentioned in the intro?
  5. What constitutes a "high volume of likes from my account" (Is it around 250 likes in 5 mins or something like that)?
  6. How exactly (step by step) can I prevent this ban from occurring again in the future?
Conclusion:

I love soundcloud, it is by far, the best, music service for my tastes. I often spend hours and hours at a time just listening to different tracks and reposting and liking the best ones. Sorry if I sound too demanding; I'm just passionate about this issue and I want to find a solution.

Thanks in advance for any help and I hope to hear from someone soon.

Screenshots:

The second ban

Why I was banned

icon

Best answer by ejcoombe 11 May 2015, 16:13

Hello,

I’m Ed, I work in the Trust & Safety team here at SoundCloud, hopefully I can answer your questions and explain why we have limits in place and why you encountered them.

Our limits aim to encourage genuine interactions throughout the community. When it comes to liking tracks, we have two limits in place to help with that:

• Repeatedly like large volumes of tracks in a short period of time
  • Repeatedly repost or like tracks, which you have reposted or liked in the past
We hope that by having these limits, when a fan Likes a track, the artist knows that it has come from a genuine fan who has listened to their track and really did like listening to it.

Having read through your post, it sounds like the first time you hit a limit, you were experiencing problems with Likes showing on your account and the second time you were collecting tracks to listen to later. I can understand that in both of these instances it does not seem very fair that you have been blocked. But please keep in mind that, the Likes that were being made from your account each of those times may have not seemed very genuine to our systems, which is why your accounts activity was picked up.

1. In an instance where you are having problems using a certain feature, then we’d recommend contacting our support team to let them know. We can then investigate what’s happening, and help you fix the problem. This should prevent you from unknowingly hitting a limit.
  2. If you’re collecting lots of tracks which you want to come back and listen to later, then we’d recommend using our playlist feature. Personally; I bookmark tracks by adding them to a playlist called “Listen Later”. I can then keep adding to that playlist, and come back to it when I have the time to listen to the tracks, at which point I may Like some of them to add them to my collection. This should give you a way to collect a large volume of tracks in a short space of time, without hitting these limits.
We are not aware of a bug like the one you mentioned in your post, so if you’re still not seeing your likes stick after making them - please let me know!

I hope this post has answered the questions you had, as well as helping to explain why your account hit these limits and why we have them in the first place. We are always monitoring the performance of these limits to make sure they're helping rather than hindering the community, and we will be sure to take the feedback in this post in to account.

Thanks,

Ed

View original

14 replies

I think I got blocked from posting in groups. I don't even know. I got a warning for un-following and re-following people. (I follow people who follow me, and like having it organized) After that one warning I got nothing else. I wondered why my newest track didn't get hardly any views, then I realized that it was never actually posting the song to groups.

(Point is: their blocking *seems* a bit messed up.)
Userlevel 2
Hello,

I’m Ed, I work in the Trust & Safety team here at SoundCloud, hopefully I can answer your questions and explain why we have limits in place and why you encountered them.

Our limits aim to encourage genuine interactions throughout the community. When it comes to liking tracks, we have two limits in place to help with that:

• Repeatedly like large volumes of tracks in a short period of time
  • Repeatedly repost or like tracks, which you have reposted or liked in the past
We hope that by having these limits, when a fan Likes a track, the artist knows that it has come from a genuine fan who has listened to their track and really did like listening to it.

Having read through your post, it sounds like the first time you hit a limit, you were experiencing problems with Likes showing on your account and the second time you were collecting tracks to listen to later. I can understand that in both of these instances it does not seem very fair that you have been blocked. But please keep in mind that, the Likes that were being made from your account each of those times may have not seemed very genuine to our systems, which is why your accounts activity was picked up.

1. In an instance where you are having problems using a certain feature, then we’d recommend contacting our support team to let them know. We can then investigate what’s happening, and help you fix the problem. This should prevent you from unknowingly hitting a limit.
  2. If you’re collecting lots of tracks which you want to come back and listen to later, then we’d recommend using our playlist feature. Personally; I bookmark tracks by adding them to a playlist called “Listen Later”. I can then keep adding to that playlist, and come back to it when I have the time to listen to the tracks, at which point I may Like some of them to add them to my collection. This should give you a way to collect a large volume of tracks in a short space of time, without hitting these limits.
We are not aware of a bug like the one you mentioned in your post, so if you’re still not seeing your likes stick after making them - please let me know!

I hope this post has answered the questions you had, as well as helping to explain why your account hit these limits and why we have them in the first place. We are always monitoring the performance of these limits to make sure they're helping rather than hindering the community, and we will be sure to take the feedback in this post in to account.

Thanks,

Ed
Userlevel 2
I was banned a third time (6 days) for the exact same reason as the second time, but this time I actually listened to all the songs before liking them (apparently it didn't help). I feel targeted. This makes me want to stop using soundcloud. Please help.

Can someone please clarify the exact number of likes in a short period of time that triggers this ban. Or, in other words, what constitutes a "high volume of likes"? what does that mean?

Once I know how many likes trigger this ban, I will know when to stop in order to not get banned.
I was banned a third time (6 days) for the exact same reason as the second time, but this time I actually listened to all the songs before liking them (apparently it didn't help). I feel targeted. This makes me want to stop using soundcloud. Please help.

Can someone please clarify the exact number of likes in a short period of time that triggers this ban. Or, in other words, what constitutes a "high volume of likes"? what does that mean?

Once I know how many likes trigger this ban, I will know when to stop in order to not get banned.

Have you been able to receive a response? 😞 Someone advised I listen before I "like" but I've done it and gotten blocked in the past. I don't understand how we're supposed to overcome this issue if there's no proper advice being given in terms of how we can avoid this error? Does that mean that the songs we were banned for "liking" are unable to be liked ever again? Or that will trigger Ed's point of being blocked for "repeatedly reposting or liking tracks we've liked in the past"? (Even if this action is only done once after being removed from a block.) WHY IS THERE NO SOLUTION
Hello,

Repeatedly like large volumes of tracks in a short period of time

Repeatedly repost or like tracks, which you have reposted or liked in the past

In an instance where you are having problems using a certain feature, then we’d recommend contacting our support team to let them know. We can then investigate what’s happening, and help you fix the problem. This should prevent you from unknowingly hitting a limit.

If you’re collecting lots of tracks which you want to come back and listen to later, then we’d recommend using our playlist feature. Personally; I bookmark tracks by adding them to a playlist called “Listen Later”. I can then keep adding to that playlist, and come back to it when I have the time to listen to the tracks, at which point I may Like some of them to add them to my collection. This should give you a way to collect a large volume of tracks in a short space of time, without hitting these limits.

Thanks,

Ed

Hi Ed,

I keep getting my account blocked, and this is due to music I download, has requirements to like a set amount of artists to get the song. I keep trying to unfollow these artists, so as to keep a happy medium and not like too much music. Is there anyway I can just get my account unblocked, and then unfollow a boat load of people? I really use Soundcloud a lot, and find it really frustrating to keep getting blocked. my account is:
https://soundcloud.com/vonaudio0904

Many thanks!

hello,i received a letter or a strange splash screen saying that i am gonna be temorarily blocked ..all i did was follow back people who like my music...I thought it might make them feel good...if there's limit or law against that,I truly apoligize and we cese to do so...i ws truly thinking that that is what i should do y=to make someones day...please explain...plus,a lot of my 'follow backs' have been dropped..and these are friends of mine that I know their music is great and we are just trying to help each other out...please email me and lemme know if this problem is fixed...I love soundcloud and would hate to have to move.
truly
Rasp Haunt
calkutta@gmail.com
Userlevel 1
The idea of these "liking" limits still do not make much sense to me. I was blocked for now the second time after liking a few songs on one page. I did not unlike and go back to like then again or anything like that, which even if I did I don't see the issue in that. I honestly think this policy needs to be looked at
The idea of these "liking" limits still do not make much sense to me. I was blocked for now the second time after liking a few songs on one page. I did not unlike and go back to like then again or anything like that, which even if I did I don't see the issue in that. I honestly think this policy needs to be looked at
Amen to that
I also have just had a warning about following people.
i only follow those that follow me.
I take it it beacuse i havve a free account
True THIS IS SERIOUSLY TESTING MY PATIENCE!
Hello,

Repeatedly like large volumes of tracks in a short period of time

Repeatedly repost or like tracks, which you have reposted or liked in the past

In an instance where you are having problems using a certain feature, then we’d recommend contacting our support team to let them know. We can then investigate what’s happening, and help you fix the problem. This should prevent you from unknowingly hitting a limit.

If you’re collecting lots of tracks which you want to come back and listen to later, then we’d recommend using our playlist feature. Personally; I bookmark tracks by adding them to a playlist called “Listen Later”. I can then keep adding to that playlist, and come back to it when I have the time to listen to the tracks, at which point I may Like some of them to add them to my collection. This should give you a way to collect a large volume of tracks in a short space of time, without hitting these limits.

Thanks,

Ed

I will unlike then like a song sometimes just because I want it at the 'front' of my likes list - I use this as a playlist. Is there any way you guys could make this a lot easier? I don't in any way want to spam people with my nonsense, I just want to be able to put them in some kind of order. Thanks!
I've just received a warning for liking/re-posting too many tracks!? I use Soundcloud to find new music and share that music with other members and post to groups i'm a member of and share via Twitter for tracks I like. I have been using Soundcloud Pro for years and have always loved the facility of liking/sharing music, which I believe supports the artists and helps them reach a wider audience. I've spent years meticulously shaping my account in such a way as that most of the music I now see, is music I genuinely enjoy and want to share on with followers. Really, where is the issue in a paid user like me using Soundcloud in the way it was designed? I'm not sure where to go from here? Do I stop using Soundcloud and just focus on YouTube instead and build my profile and shares in the same way as 'Progressive Astronaut' or 'Sounds of Predrag'? I'd appreciate an answer and not the stock answer you appear to roll out to everyone so far.
When is Soundcloud gonna make a fix for this? 2019 and this is still a problem! At least make the "add to playlist" option more accessible (as quick as the like "function"). I don't know man, there's somany solutions to this it just makes Soundcloud look lazy. Maybe I should go back to pirating...

EDIT: forgot words
This policy seems to achieve the opposite of its own goal.. You want to make sure the artist knows we genuinely like the track? I've had these tracks in playlists that I've been looping for over a year now.. I never "liked" anything because I just added to playlist instead. Recently I thought "I should give them credit" so I started going through my playlists to "like" everything in them since i listen constantly.. Now I have to stop 1/5 the way through. What would be helpful to me is that everything in my playlist is automatically "liked". If I'm adding it to a playlist its because I want to keep listening to it going forward, e.g. I "like" it. Make it a feature flag I can toggle in settings~