Question

Buy link to open in parent browser instead of a new window

• 3 February 2015
  • 3 replies

Currently the buy link (button) on tracks seems to default to opening in a new window when clicked witht he URL assigned in the settings (my store page). Does anyone know if something server side or soundcloud side that can be tweaked to make this link open in the parent browser ?

The scenario is that I have the soundcloud tracks embedded on my site and the buy link is linked to a store on the same site. Opening a new window when wanting to buy just leaves a whole lot of windows open and make a confusing experience for the user.

thanks all!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hey there,

Thanks for posting. Let's see - I believe your website is http://www.underfootrecords.com.au/. correct? If so, I just went there and tried to see if I can reproduce the issue. When I click on the "buy" button on your embeds using the current version of Chrome, rather then opening in a new browser window, it opened in a new tab in the current windows (maybe there's just confusion about the terminology here).

Some browsers offer to customize this (for instance IE has this in its settings), other browsers have this standardized (I couldn't find an option to change this in Chrome straight away).

I hope this helps to shed some light on this issue.

Cheers,
Mathis
Thanks Mathis for such a fast reply

Actually the staging server for the next version of the site is at:
http://www.loadedcreativeis.com/underfoot/?artists=the-gene-maynard-band

The singles down the above page give a good example.

You are correct in Chrome it opens a new tab, in FF it opens a new window. I would like to get rid of both these outcomes and simply open in the same window.

The issue being that the store page (when clicked on the buy button) opens a new tab or widow each time and intern confusing the user with multiple windows when trying to buy a single/s.

The outcome I would like is the buy button to simply open the store page in the same window reloading over the page clicked from.

Cheers
Andrew
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Thanks Mathis for such a fast reply

Actually the staging server for the next version of the site is at:
http://www.loadedcreativeis.com/underfoot/?artists=the-gene-maynard-band

The singles down the above page give a good example.

You are correct in Chrome it opens a new tab, in FF it opens a new window. I would like to get rid of both these outcomes and simply open in the same window.

The issue being that the store page (when clicked on the buy button) opens a new tab or widow each time and intern confusing the user with multiple windows when trying to buy a single/s.

The outcome I would like is the buy button to simply open the store page in the same window reloading over the page clicked from.

Cheers
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for getting back to us, I understand what you are tying to achieve. SoundCloud cannot control how the browser is expected to behave so as Mathis suggested, I recommend doing a search on how to change redirects for each browser.
However, i'd like to clarify that our embeds are essentially like a page within a page. In other words, if you did manage to find a way for no new tab or window to open up then your buy page would be within the dimensions of the embed sooo... tiny. Does that make sense?

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
Gina