Question

Cannot reply to message, because sender only accepts messages from people that he follows

• 17 January 2015
  • 10 replies

Hello,

I just got a message on Soundcloud from someone. I wanted to reply to this message, but I can't. When I click on send, a message pops up: "Unable to send message, <user> only accepts messages from people that they follow."
Is this an intended design? If someone writes me a question he obviously expects a reply. It seems weird to me that such a setting prevents me from doing so.

Best regards,
Tim

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Tim,

Thanks for posting your question to the Help Forum. This is an option that is set by the user unfortunately we cannot override this setting. Perhaps the person did not realise that you would be unable to respond since you do not follow them. You could always follow, answer the message and then unfollow.

Hope that helps!
Gina
Hi Gina,

thanks for your reply. The problem is not that I do not follow him, but that HE does not follow ME. That is why I cannot send him a reply to his message. And I do not see how I can work around this. Do you see any possibility?
I think having sent a message to someone should override this option, otherwise some user having set this option can never receive a reply to a message he sends to someone he does not follow.

Tim
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Gina,

thanks for your reply. The problem is not that I do not follow him, but that HE does not follow ME. That is why I cannot send him a reply to his message. And I do not see how I can work around this. Do you see any possibility?
I think having sent a message to someone should override this option, otherwise some user having set this option can never receive a reply to a message he sends to someone he does not follow.

Tim

Hi there Tim,

Thanks for following up on this. I just checked this on our end. I'm afraid this currently is expected behavior actually, partially, this is due to a spam measure that our Trust & Safety department needed to put in place. I do how this limits you in this specific situation.

I've forwarded this from my end, but I would highly recommend to review this conversation on the matter of feature requests and how to best bring them to us.

Other then that, how about this - why don't you write a comment on one of the other user's tracks and explain why you cannot respond so that user can start following you and open the floor for further messaging? :-)

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mathis
Hi Gina,

Tim

Hi Matthis,

thank you for the explanation. I haven't read the conversation yet, but I am afraid that bringing this in as a feature request is not very promising, since I seem to be the only one who hast this specific problem.

Unfortunately, the other user does not have any published tracks. I really don't see any method of contacting him. Very disappointing. :-(

Cheers,
Tim
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Gina,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Oh no - that's indeed super unfortunate. I wish I could help on this one. Maybe the user has a link to his/her Facebook page or to a different website through which you could try contacting him/her?
Hi Gina,

Tim

Hi Gina,

of course I tried everything finding out some other possibility of contacting this user, but unfortunately I did not find one.
If there is a chance of changing this security option, so that a user can at least receive messages from users he messaged himself, I would really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Tim
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Gina,

Tim

Hi again Tim,

Thanks for getting back. I've already forwarded your query to the relevant team for review, but would still advice you to send the team an email as well (even though it is something that doesn't happen that often, your point is totally valuable).

All the best,
Mathis
Hi,

i've got the same problem. When I try to send a Message, I get the message "Unable to send message, "Persons name" only accepts messages from people that they follow.
Can you please check, whether I am blocked?
Userlevel 6
Hi,

i've got the same problem. When I try to send a Message, I get the message "Unable to send message, "Persons name" only accepts messages from people that they follow.
Can you please check, whether I am blocked?

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately, as mentioned above, its not a block directed at you personally but means exactly what it says. And, unfortunately, if this was, as you are asking, a case that the person you are trying to message has blocked you (which I am 99.9% positive is not the case here), it would breach all kinds of DPA (data protection) rules for anyone to check that persons account and advise you that you are blocked. The only thing that can be said with any certainty is that person wont accept messages from any Soundcloud users that they do not follow. It is something that I have run into on occasions myself & can certainly understand an amount of frustration but it is what it is.

To try and explain it...the reason it is an available option within the message settings is that if you choose to follow someone, that implies you are choosing to put a degree of trust with that person, you chose to follow them so contact from them to you is taken to be fine. If someone is following you...you don't choose for that person to follow you so the degree of trust is essentially not there and therefore your follower, from a very detached & dispassionate point of view, is no different to someone who doesn't follow you at all...this is all thanks to fake accounts, spam messages and the like which Soundcloud are working very hard to clamp down on (which is having an effect, it has to be said, i've seen a dramatic decrease in the spam messages i receive) but there are still those who would prefer only to get messages from users they have put their trust in by following them in the first instance.

Again, as above, I could only suggest looking for an alternative method of contacting the user, a comment on a track if they have any uploaded or any facebook/website links they might have on their profile.

Regards

DJ R.I.P
This is an absurd oversight. There is almost no risk of being spammed by someone that you messaged first. And even if they did spam you in response to your message, it's so easy to block them.

Soundcloud should change it so that a user can opt to only recieve messages from people they're following, but allow non-followed people to reply to a message they send.

Currently if a fan sent me a message, in order to respond to them I have to track them down on facebook or something... ridiculous. And they just sit there wondering why they're not getting a response because the system doesn't even inform them that I can't reply... Come on.