Question

download.html failed - need authoriation

• 6 January 2015
  • 3 replies

When I tried downloading a file, the download menu pops up but it does not download the file. It says download.htm failed - needs authorization. I've been downloading music from soundcloud for a while and the past two weeks this has been the issue for me. Is there any way to fix it?

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Hi nthomas,

Thanks for visiting the help forums :)

This sounds initially like a known issue where songs have reached their download limit but the download button remains visible instead of it disappearing. To cover limits briefly, free user and pro users who choose to make the track downloadable will have a limit as to how many times that track can be downloaded. For free users it is 100 downloads per sound and pro users get 1000 downloads per sound. This issue is known & it is being worked on.

However, In the interests of being thorough, if you could provide a few examples where you are running into this issue (direct url to a few songs from different artists would be awesome, but artist name & song name will do fine) there are a few tell tale signs that would confirm the issue one way or another. First off looking at what kind of soundcloud account the users has &, assuming they are a free or pro user, looking at the total number of plays a track has had, the larger the amount of plays the more likely a track is to have reached its download limit. If the user is a "pro unlimited" user then no download limits apply in which case your issue would be somthing else but I think very likely to be the known issue described above. (I know there is also looking at the amount of downloads, but that stat isn't visible to users, and as a user of soundcloud myself I don't have anyway to check the actual amount of downloads, but you can get a good "law of averages" idea based on the stats that are visible to anyone using the site).

Hope that helps :)

Regards

DJ R.I.P
https://soundcloud.com/j0nh/maroon-5-sugar-feat-nicki-minaj-remix
?
Userlevel 6
https://soundcloud.com/j0nh/maroon-5-sugar-feat-nicki-minaj-remix
?

Hi shammyboi,

Thanks for visiting the help forums :)

I assume you are checking if the track you have given the url to has reached it download limit, well, from my "formula" I describe in my original reply on this thread, I would have to say it has reached its limit... the up-loader is a free user so the 100 downloads per track applies, the track has had over 200,000 plays, something in the region of 4000 likes and over 700 shares so I think it is safe to say that track will have hit its download limit very quickly, especially when you also factor in that it features big name mainstream artists and those stats have been achieved in something like a month at the time of typing this.

Regards

DJ R.I.P