Question

How do I disable the IDIOTIC, INFURIATING autoplay?

• 19 January 2017
  • 66 replies

Userlevel 5
I see threads from a year ago with dozens and dozens of users begging for this. After all this time, is there still no fix? It's absolutely maddening!

66 replies

Userlevel 5
YouTube has AutoPlay but they give users a toggle switch to turn it off.

Indeed.

It's as if Soundcloud's developers are counting on users to say, "I'm annoyed by this, but I'll keep listening." And no doubt some do. But there are occasions on which we may want to listen to just one song. Or one collection. And when that's done, we want to explore further on our own terms. But when I'm constantly bombarded by music I didn't ask to hear, my reaction is, "I'm annoyed." So, I end up leaving the site.

Ironically, if I weren't repeatedly bombarded by autoplay, I'd keep clicking around, and I'd end up discovering more music. Instead, after listening to something I want to hear, I'm constantly then having to reach to hit stop — and ultimately I get frustrated and just leave.

Autoplay's fantastic — when we want it — and it's anathema when we don't.

It boggles the mind that SoundCloud's developers don't get this.
Userlevel 5
Why not? For at least a year (and probably longer), user after user has begged you to simply give us the option to disable autoplay. What would be the downside of implementing the option?
Userlevel 5
Yes. But for many, it also leads to aggravation. So, if some users would prefer not to have it, why continue to force it upon us?
Userlevel 2
Autoplay's fantastic — when we want it — and it's anathema when we don't.

This is exactly why I use Soundcloud for one track or artist and then leave the site.

I don't want to listen to a parade of songs Soundcloud's algorithms think are relevant, it's immensely irritating. On the other hand, I too will click around to the ends of the earth if I'm not forced, hence why I never have less than a few Youtube tabs open.
Userlevel 2
until i got on this forum i assumed naturally that i just couldn't figure out how to disable the continuous play. now i find this is INTENTIONAL on behalf of soundcloud. i am songwriter that needs avenues to send tracks to PR management to shop my material. i cannot ever use soundcloud again if the user hears another song start immediately after the ONLY track meant to be heard. SO RIDICULOUS
Userlevel 1
I avoid using soundcloud as much as possible entirely because of this, I'm literally a lost user
Userlevel 5
Please listen to our feedback on this.. It is infuriating on many different levels because the "related tracks" algorithm is wildly inept and irrelevant. Also, I really do not like to have my ears blown out by the next song which was mixed in accordance of the ridiculous "Loudness Wars" approach. It stinks really.
Userlevel 1
Came here after years of not using soundcloud, listened to one song...discover that autoplay is still the only option... leaving again.
I agree—should be an option, especially for paid users.
Userlevel 1
I discovered soundcloud 5-6 years ago and saw this autoplay "feature". Tried to disable it but couldn't figure it out so I left and never came back. I honestly thought it could be done but I was too lazy. So I google the issue this morning, find this thread and learn that YOU CAN'T TURN OFF THIS FRACKING AUTOPLAY. This is just ridiculous. One of the worst dev decisions I have ever seen
Userlevel 1
There are at least 2 related threads that I could find --

This one from 2 years ago: https://soundcloudcommunity.com/soundcloud-on-your-computer-230066/how-do-i-turn-off-the-autoplay-feature-for-my-soundcloud-6627191

And this one from 1 year ago: https://soundcloudcommunity.com/soundcloud-on-your-computer-230066/how-do-i-disable-that-autoplay-6643321/

Both of them are marked as "Solved" although that's obviously not the case. The one from 2 years ago was marked as "Solved" even though there's not a single comment on the thread from a Mod. So it's apparent that SoundCloud just is not even giving a rat's ass about this issue. They are dismissing it without any comment or reason.
Userlevel 1
Well if you think about it, those tracks some people figure aren't related might not even get a listen because nobody clicked on their track. This way, new artists can be discovered. Still, there is no reason why it shouldn't be enabled by default with an off feature.
Would you rather us turn off autoplay or quit using SoundCloud? Your choices, SC devs, your ad revenue.
Userlevel 1
Last night I to listened to one long track to fall asleep... Oh thanks, I've been woken up by a song you forced me to play!!
Userlevel 1
Echoing everyone else here. These design decisions should be a toggle to give agency to the user, not a forced design decision. This smacks of a marketing decision made in total absence of common sense.

And as mentioned, Soundcloud, look to your peers. YouTube has an autoplay function. This is not a feature, it is a function of the website. The feature is that it can be turned off. This is something that has existed for far too long. Please, give us a switch.
Userlevel 1
I see threads from a year ago with dozens and dozens of users begging for this. After all this time, is there still no fix? It's absolutely maddening!
There are calls for this to be fixed that are more than FOUR years old. I was going to update to Pro today, in the hopes of being able to control the autoplay. But unless that problem is fixed, I will not.
Userlevel 1
You can try our alternative (unofficial) SoundCloud player https://cloud-player.io where you have the option to play only one track
Userlevel 1
I just signed up to quickly mention that I've been actively avoiding using soundcloud for literally years now because of this "feature."
And looking at how many people are complaining here alone, I can't be the only one.

So there you have it: You're actively losing potential customers to this bullshit.
Userlevel 1
Fix this. I used to listen to hours of podcasts on here. Every night when going to sleep. But never anymore because of this bullshit. You're making your user base (paying in this case) seriously mad.
Userlevel 1
Hey soundcloud guys. There is no contact link anymore, you got too big I presume. I will use this blog to complain about this stupid idea to remove the option to permanently disable the autoplay. Since the portal was created as a tool, now it acts as a radio station. I will stop paying for this, although I am a good paying customer for more than 5 years. You're pushing out artists and that's your loss. Cheers!
Same here, I would use soundcloud a lot and would not mind paying for it If autoplay/continuousplay didn't excist. Now I try for a minute and then download the tracks to listen offline. If there is no download option I just don't listen to the music.
Spotify also introduced this unholy feature not long ago, luckily I could switch it off else I would have stopped paying immediately.
YouTube has AutoPlay but they give users a toggle switch to turn it off.

Send your feature requests and feedback here ---> http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2226628-feature-requests-and-feedback?b_id=9644#
The ONLY way to "disable" the autoplay is by setting up your individual tracks via an embedded link. I've put them on my website individually and they only play once and only play that track.

SHARING your track via the sound cloud website link DOES NOT disable auto play.

EMBEDDING your track DOES disable auto play.

Long work around, embed your tracks on a website and then share that website.
Here's my website for a quick reference: http://www.stevenhumesvoiceover.com/styled-2/index.html
After reading these reviews, I will be Googling on how to DELETE SoundCloud from my IPhone. And was thinking about getting a subcription. No way to opt out, means I'm out. Bravo.
I was going to get into soundcloud but this has turned me off from using your service, and im sure many others have and will feel the same.

Peace.
Still no solution for this f******g autoplay issue. Just had my head nearly blown off after listening to gentle birdsong, then suddenly being thrown into a hard rock track.