Question

How do I switch from Flash to HTML5?

Apparently Soundcloud is using HTML5 to play songs and finally ditched Flash, which is great.
However, while some songs play fine others require my browser to unblock flash.

How can I permanently use HTML5 instead of Flash on Soundcloud ?

I am using Firefox 38.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Vincent,

Thanks for writing into the help forum. I'm afraid some parts of the site rely on Flash still to ensure different browser requirements. I'm afraid there is no way to use only HTML5 for all functions.

Thanks again,
Gina
Thanks for the reply.
That is sad to hear, flash is a real pain in the a..
Not sure what browser requirement you are talking about though, unless you mean obsolete versions of IE.
Userlevel 3
HTML5 & CSS3 Support for various browsers:
http://fmbip.com/litmus
Then just ditch those functions if one's got no flash and just play it.
Hi Vincent,

Thanks for writing into the help forum. I'm afraid some parts of the site rely on Flash still to ensure different browser requirements. I'm afraid there is no way to use only HTML5 for all functions.

Thanks again,
Gina

This is ridiculous, please be fast to get an open standard, you can't presume people use one of the most dangerous software ever produced, see hacked team flash bug-
Hi Vincent,

Thanks again,
Gina

Hi, How can it be classed as HTML5 player if it still requires any Flash?
We are trying to add Soundcloud into our site and it works in iPad / Chrome / Firefox / etc with Flash Disabled.
So I am confused why the same content will not run in other modern Mozilla / Webkit Browsers.
(They are all either Blank or asking to install Flash)
Hi Vincent,

Thanks again,
Gina

You're really going to have to get on that, unless you want to go the way of Friendster and Netscape. Flash is dead, and it's horrible zombie corpse is not something you should be keeping around.

Off to find a service that can handle HTML5.
This is ridiculous. In this day and age of the world wide web technologies, relying on a proprietory, buggy and unsecure software (especially when there are better, open and safer alternatives available), that's just bad judgement.
Unfortunately for me it means I can only use soundcloud on my phone or tablet.
Relying on Flash is somethings that needs to be fixed.
html5 and css3 have been the web standard for possibly more than two years, how is it possible the web sites still use this outdated technology? Please fix it soundlcoud, you are awesome, but running flash is ruining our experience.
Any updates on this now Adobe has suggested to get rid of Flash?
apparently not and soundcloud still clings to ancient technology, flip sake is it a hamster on a wheel chasing a piece of cheese that powers this site?
Gina, can we get an update on this? You're basically the ONLY website I still use that forces me to update flash. It's really depressing, your service is so forward-thinking but your software is archaic.
I've been running Soundcloud with flash blocked by default since I started this thread. At the beginning some tracks required flash to be played and some not, and Soundcloud was bugging me with notification to enable flash.

Even though Firefox still asks me whether I want to allow flash for the site or not, I have not encountered any problems in the recent months while having flash blocked all the time.

My guess is Soundcloud still requires flash for older uploads which weren't converted.

Anyhow, it seems to be working fine without flash ever since.
I've been running Soundcloud with flash blocked by default since I started this thread. At the beginning some tracks required flash to be played and some not, and Soundcloud was bugging me with notification to enable flash.

Even though Firefox still asks me whether I want to allow flash for the site or not, I have not encountered any problems in the recent months while having flash blocked all the time.

My guess is Soundcloud still requires flash for older uploads which weren't converted.

Anyhow, it seems to be working fine without flash ever since.

I simply cannot use soundcloud in my opera browser without downloading and installing adobe flash and that just aint gonna happen. Its amazing the number of sites that still use this technology. Big chess fan and all the live streams are streamed in flash, so sad I cannot enjoy them but change takes time.