Question

How to search by genre????

• 20 October 2016
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
So what happened to browsing by content? The discover tab only gives me 100 songs that sound like Alan Walker! (because I played a few). He's good but I need to be able to EXPLORE and the new explore tab quite frankly sux. How can I discover new and unknown people when sound cloud keeps deciding for me? Is there a better way to explore? You want to explore the world you don't stay on the freeway. I don't want to hear what's on Soundclouds "freeway"

5 replies

Userlevel 3
I agree entirely.... Soundcloud's most inexcusable act as a startup is how it deals with spammers and those who game the system.

When you search by "Genre" you're essentially searching by hashtag and Soundcloud does nothing to verify via crowdsourcing our claimed hashtags, or for that matter our claimed genres. So all the spammers / those who game the system do is simply add a hashtag for as many genres as possible even when their music clearly is not in that genre. There you go, Soundcloud now has no way to discover similar styles of new music.

Only thing worse then this disease of being unable to discover new music from unsigned artists via genre is the usual overly-aggressive way Soundcloud goes about prescribing a cure.

For example back in the golden era of Soundcloud new aspiring musicians could get tons of follows and loads of legit new people to their music simply by following lots of people who seemed similar. But then the spammers abused that process so Soundclod decided on the worst possible cure, which was to limit people's ability to unfollow or follow "large" numbers of people and if you hit their limit they'd suspend your ability to follow and unfollow for a week...

And if you were like me and discovered that you had hundreds of terrible musicians in your stream because you were still refining how you do discovery/networking/promoting and you needed to clean up your stream, the simple act of unfollowing hundreds of people took several weeks, not to mention making it impossible to build up plays numbers and fans thru the follow function in an efficient way ever again. So then instead of containing the spammers to follow and unfollows, which most of us can tolerate, their ill-planned solution forced the spammers into spamming via our Soundcloud inbox.

In the same failed solution Soundcloud tried to address the many people on here who have complained about spammy messages in their inbox by limiting the amount of messages that everyone can send. Thus, Soundcloud again destroys Soundcloud's networking potential for legit musicians who want to discover new music, generate plays and new follows in an efficient way.

Time and time again, rather than Soundcloud being strategic and only going after the worst spammers in the industry standard practice of wack-a-mole, so they don't destroy the network of the greater whole, they've always chosen the nuclear option and dropped a twenty kilo-ton boulder ontop of all profiles, as if we're all moles, thus legit users who want to network can't do so and spammers continue to give them more reason to limit users even more.

If there really is an executive at Soundcloud who truly cares about the future of unsigned artists on their massive network they need to speak up and start replying to these complaints because at this point their silence, their unwillingness to communicate with us on any meaningful level, is proof that they don't care about us and we're going to have to migrate elsewhere.
Are any updates on this? I want search by genre to discover artists I don't know but I can't. If I search "trance" I get songs with any genre, and if I search "#trance" I only get tracks and artists with the word trance in the profile name or title, which is not useful because almost all tracks that have "trance" in the title are mixes.
Exactly. I can’t even find the option to search by genre.
This is no good!!!
Userlevel 1
This is crazy that you can't do this! How does one discover music on this platform? And without that ability, what use is the platform?
When are the going to fix this crummy platform?
Didn't it used to be better?