Question

I'm ready to be signed by a label. How do I go about that?

• 18 May 2015
  • 5 replies

Ive been producing for a few years now. My DAW is FL Studio 11 and my primary VST is NI Massive. I build, design, and polish ALL of my own sounds from scratch so everything you hear in my tracks is 100% original. I NEVER use loops (nothing against people who do). If you listen to the tracks on my page chronologically, you'll hear how I have rapidly progressed with my abilities. I actually am "homeless" and don't have the money to promote or buy really nice hardware/software so I am very limited and I feel held back. To do what I do with what I have, there's no denying that I have the potential to become the next Bassnectar once I have my hands on a professional setup. Anyone who could help me out or give me some advice would be my hero.

Thanks!
-KB

https://soundcloud.com/kiingbooziebass

https://www.facebook.com/kingbooziebass?fref=ts

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

I suggest adding your tracks to groups, following people whose music you enjoy and leaving genuine comments on their tracks. All three of these things can lead people back to your profile and if they enjoy your music they will add and leave comments for you as well!

Additionally, here is a great guide for how to use SoundCloud to your advantage: http://on.soundcloud.com/creator-guide

I hope I was able to help!

Cheers
Mathis
Userlevel 5
Hey there...
Keep doing what you are doing man. FLStudio, together with massive... This is all you need, and it seems to me you are doing a good job.
I learned on FL Stuidio, and I love the program. I only changed my daw, cuz Ableton came ( limited version) with the APC40, and all the NI software was on a good sale ( bunch of presets for massive incl. massive, tons of samples and so on) when I boght my Maschine. I even have pro tools that came with the audio interface ( and seriously, it sucks . perhaps its a great software in a big studio environement, but from my point of view , compared to Ableton, NI-Maschine, FL Studio... pro tools is just bs) . Also, I didn't have enough money to buy FL before, so I wanted to use a legal version of software and hardware for my music once I felt I kinda knew what I was doing, which made me buy the apc 40 and the maschine because those came with a piece of hardware too...
The reason I am sharing this is, to make you aware that you have everything you need if you are able to do the music you do already... Focus on playing shows as much as you can and building up/attracting a following.
All 'professional' musicians and producers I have heard speaking on the topic, say the same thing...:
If you have success on your own, no matter how little, labels will want you, because they know that you are doing your job on your own and therefor you have an idea how 'the industry' works. In that case they know, they don't have to teach you and/or kick you in the ass to do your thing.
On the other hand, once you are doing it on your own, it is questionable if you would even need a label...
I hope that helps somewhat... Just wanted to give you a heads up man. Keep it up!

Greetings.
IK

PS: What Mathis suggested is a good way of promotion on soundcloud. I personally am going to read the article he shared,as I haven't read this one yet. With your following of more then 2K, I would try to reach 5K or 10K if I were you. Labels ( especially the online based once) would start paying attention to your activity/account with this following on soundcloud ( provided it's not fake accounts of course). And if you can back up your self having a following online, with regular gigs in the 'real world', I think it would only be a matter of time before you stop calling your self 'homeless'.

PS2: Also, if you have some chillout, ambient, and/or hiphop tracks you would like to promote, hit me up and I'll send you a few addresses of groups where you can share your stuff. I mean there are plenty of groups out there, but the ones I am talking about are moderated, so once your tracks are approved, they kinda stay on top until new tracks are added.
I'm not a music creator but I do follow record labels very closely. From my observation, it does seem that record labels do keep an eye on smaller communities, so Mathis's advice is very good. Just be sure to not overdo it and spam every one of your releases.
You should keep an eye on your preferred labels as well and follow them closely. Sometimes they'll open submissions for a short time. They usually ask for your best unreleased tracks, (a few of them also ask you to use Soundcloud for submissions) so it may be best to reserve some tracks until this opportunity comes if that's your strategy.
I've been making music for over 10 years now, im 24 and about to be 25, i've gotten no where in that 10 or more year timespan, if it really is that easy and you guys think one day it's going to take off and i'll be able to get myself out there no matter how much i advertise and everything and all i have already tried to do, even if i have my music on spotify, tidal, deezer, itunes, google play music, and still i've gotten no where, then do tell me the real answer to how i am suppose to make it? you can't be negative and say i am not trying due to the fact that i have been pushing my music to all these places, and maybe some won't show up for you right now but will be there eventually, but still, if you have a legitimate answer to tell me how i am suppose to seriously be recognized, if i should be looking for some kind of label, if i should be talking to a certain someone to gain connections with certain people or a person that can get me to where i need to be? Do you understand where i'm going with this? if you have the answers then let me know because i have no idea who to talk to. --- infact i even go as far as to promote my music over the internet consoles where there are people from all over the world on, for example pc, xbox, ps4, and will tell these guys hey i make music, check it out, if you like it spread it, discords, teamspeaks, i've went all out, made a website, literally i am still not growing, no one has tried to contact me and be like "Hey.. we like what your doing, come work with us" nothing of the sort has ever happened.
Do as many shows as you can. Get in touch with your local open mic venues and do shows for free until someone pays you to do them. Once you consistently get paid shows, you will be on the radar to get signed.