Question

I need to know an efficient way to unfollow artists.

Hey Guys, I'm trying to go through and reduce the number of people I am following. I understand I can do that from my 'stream' however, I want to do a substantial cull and the quickest way would be to do that through my 'following' page. Is there a way to do it, that is more efficient then me having to be redirected to their page to unfollow them? Thanks!!

10 replies

andyallwood wrote:

try unfollowspy.com I've just used it, and have removed a lot of people from my follow list

Wondering if there is a limit to how many unfollows you should do in a day with this program, so as not to be flagged by SC...
Wow 3 whole years and still no reply? fucking bumped. jesus Soundcloud. you might not have gone under that one time if you just listened to the consumer...
Userlevel 1
Mathis wrote:

Hi there _thoreau_,

Thanks for posting. I'll try to provide some info around this for you to find the best way to go about this.

To begin with, please note that we had to put limits on specific actions into place to prevent what is considered spammy behavior on SoundCloud. For instance, we have implemented a limit in response to the community's request to curb behavior where an account follows, unfollows and then re-follows the same account(s) again in a short period of time in order to unfairly boost their own followings.

These limits are in place to address community complaints about accounts overusing, or using features in a way other than as they were intended. We hope you can appreciate why we felt it necessary to put these limits in place.

Thus, an extensive "spring cleaning" type of unfollowing might not the best way to go about this. Here's what I'd do: When listening to the tracks in your Stream and hearing something that you don't like, and would thus rather not follow that user any longer, scroll over the username. After a second, a small window will show with the username & their profile image. This window also contains the button that says "Following" - clicking on this button will unfollow that user and their tracks will be removed from your Stream.

Doing it this way will a) save you a bunch of clicks to get to each user's profile, b) help to not end up in a block, and c) will feel like a more natural part of your SoundCloud "workflow" rather then a task to which you need to dedicate a lot of time.

Hope this helps :-)

Cheers
Mathis

i have no reason to un-follow people who don't follow me back. I am not in it to get popular, I just want my stream to be the best music the world has to offer. When It gets full of crap, I have to go through and remove most of those commercial accounts to get back to the more "authentic" music that is at the cutting edge. Just give me an easy way to remove commercial accounts, or accounts that repost more than 80% of their content.
Mathis wrote:

Hi there _thoreau_,

Thanks for posting. I'll try to provide some info around this for you to find the best way to go about this.

To begin with, please note that we had to put limits on specific actions into place to prevent what is considered spammy behavior on SoundCloud. For instance, we have implemented a limit in response to the community's request to curb behavior where an account follows, unfollows and then re-follows the same account(s) again in a short period of time in order to unfairly boost their own followings.

These limits are in place to address community complaints about accounts overusing, or using features in a way other than as they were intended. We hope you can appreciate why we felt it necessary to put these limits in place.

Thus, an extensive "spring cleaning" type of unfollowing might not the best way to go about this. Here's what I'd do: When listening to the tracks in your Stream and hearing something that you don't like, and would thus rather not follow that user any longer, scroll over the username. After a second, a small window will show with the username & their profile image. This window also contains the button that says "Following" - clicking on this button will unfollow that user and their tracks will be removed from your Stream.

Doing it this way will a) save you a bunch of clicks to get to each user's profile, b) help to not end up in a block, and c) will feel like a more natural part of your SoundCloud "workflow" rather then a task to which you need to dedicate a lot of time.

Cheers
Mathis

Ha I find it ridiculously ironic you seem to have some kind of ethical stance on spammy accounts when it comes to unfollowing and following when you have none at all for more commercial accounts that use a blatant amount of spam plays and comments in order to look overtly popular! A lot of them are even featured accounts. Accounts like all the Spinnin' Records accounts. Yeah thats right, you know it and so does everyone else!! All you have to do is check out the comments accounts to realise (and listen to the quality of the music and go figure!). I'd say unfollowing people that dont follow you back is actually an ok thing to get round your limits compared to buying your way into your 'charts'.
Userlevel 2
There are tons of people I'm following that I never actually chose to follow. I can't just get rid of them?
try unfollowspy.com I've just used it, and have removed a lot of people from my follow list
Userlevel 1
I would like the option to unfollow all accounts that I was forced to follow by a third party app using the API, which I agreed to in order to get a free download.
how does unfollowing all of your artists in the following screen require more dedication to time versus streaming the songs and unfollowing from there? Is there anyway for you to have a quiz or access code to let those that are serious about their Soundcloud be able to unfollow in the following screen? Or create an unfollowing screen. My opinion in regards to unfollowing your stream. Let's say there are about 50 accounts that post a song every 4-8 hours. Then we would have to deal with trying to "hover over the username and wait for the screen to pop up to click the unfollow button." Thus, juggling with only 50 accounts that may take hours to remove when there are about 300 more accounts to unfollow. How is this more time efficient? When having an unfollowing screen or having the unfollowing option in the following screen, we can thus hover over each account that we don't want to follow with one click away. Having to scroll through the screen (slight lag) in stream and hovering over the names (small print) move up to unfollow box. Takes double the time when all of the artists/accounts are not laid out in front of you. I am going through the same thing, and this is taking me too long to refine my account in order to better take care of my account following those that are accustomed to my ear. And NO, I don't want to start a new account since that would take even more time. So please provide us an option to better our accounts, so that we can provide you better satisfaction as customers. thank you
Userlevel 2
Dislike, if there's a limit on how may artist a paying customer can follow, there needs to be a "Sping Cleaning" way to unfollow artist.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there _thoreau_,

Cheers
Mathis