Question

I've been getting these annoying spam bots in my likes and followers... They come in hoards of 5-20.

• 22 October 2015
  • 80 replies

So every day I come over to my account to check my notifications. Pretty much every time I open my notifications, I get like 10+ Notifications from these bots with an icon saying "VISIT EZFOLLOWERS.XYZ AND GET 10,000 PLAYS NOW!" with yellow text, a blue background , varying colored stripes at the bottom, and with a black dot at the upper right. I'm not interested in fake views. I'm sick of these, because I go to my notifications hoping for a comment or something like that, and what do I see? THAT FREAKING BLUE ICON TIMES 20. I'm definitely getting crazy here, but I've had it with these. I know the people who work for this website are trying to get rid of spam followers, but these specific ones come in hoards, and it would be nice if they could try to focus on getting rid of them to improve the experience for the people who use this site to upload.

Here's an example of what I've had happen. Once I got 20 of these crowded on one track, but currently there are 7 on this, assuming they haven't been deleted yet.

80 replies

They are scraping every song that is uploaded and liking. Smdh...
Hitting you too, then... Gahhh I'm just really losing it because I have a really short temper-
I made somewhat good experience in blocking those "users": go to their profile, hit three-points-icon which is at the right side of the enevelope icon, choose "Block [user]", and also tick both checkboxes.
Blocking four of them per minute should get rid of 100 of them whithin half an hour of click-work. I think their number will decrease over time when you proceed like that every now and then.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi all,

We are very aware of this incredibly annoying issue that is hitting the platform hard. We have a pretty good method of detecting the batches once their accounts get activated but we haven't managed to block their access from signing up without blocking legitimate accounts. Keep reporting as this ensures that none get passed us but also know that our Trust and Safety team is trying to get one step ahead so this ugliness doesn't show up on your accounts.

Thanks for everyone's patience,
Gina
Hi all,

We are very aware of this incredibly annoying issue that is hitting the platform hard. We have a pretty good method of detecting the batches once their accounts get activated but we haven't managed to block their access from signing up without blocking legitimate accounts. Keep reporting as this ensures that none get passed us but also know that our Trust and Safety team is trying to get one step ahead so this ugliness doesn't show up on your accounts.

Gina

Thank you so much for replying to this. Actually I have an idea that may work for a short while, maybe if there is any way to block certain icons from being used? Like the icons that these bots are using, all of them seem to have very similar icons, being exactly the same on the top with a different stripe on bottom, but if you made it so only the section with the caption is blocked, maybe it could stop at least some of these bots from making their way to our tracks, until the problem can get completely taken away? It's just a dumb idea, I know, and many others have probably said this, but I just wanted to let it out.
Yeah wth is going on
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi all,

Gina

Hi there Subaru,

Thanks for your suggestion. We'll make sure to forward those to our Trust & Safety team. They continue to work on methods to prevent spam / bots from happening in the first place.
I'm a Soundcloud newbie and have been using this site for only three months or so, and even I am already annoyed by these. Like the original poster mentioned: you hope for feedback but all you get are fake subscriptions. There is only a way to block them, which is pointless because of the short-lived accounts, I assume. But is there a way to actively report them and for the Trust & Safety team to actually use such reported cases? I could imagine some soft of a pattern recognition algorithm that analyzes the behaviour of new accounts. If a member just created her account just hours ago but already liked hundreds of tracks without listening to any of them, then surely it's a bot. Or a really annoying troll which should be banned anyway. By the way, the suggestion to analyze the user images or icons is a superb one. With free OCR tools you surely could identify those ezfollowers accounts with fairly high precision.
Hi all,

Gina

They are tough to track because their spam is in their jpg attachment. Here is one example:
"i1.sndcdn.com/avatars-000184167102-xr24pt-t200x200.jpg" The jpg name changes among each spammer (it seems), but the il.sndcnd.com part stays the same. Block all users that have that address in any uploaded jpg.
Hi all,

Gina

It would take more server-side work, but you could use OCR to read every user icon as it's uploaded, and block it/take further actions if it contains text along the lines of "VISIT EZFOLLOWERS.XYZ AND GET 10,000 PLAYS NOW!", and not be affected my image url (btw Kevin I think that ALL user icons are stored with a similar url (as that's on soundcloud severs I assume) and blocking urls with il.sndcnd.com would bock everyone_), or the color of the background (as I had a dozen of these bots on one of my uploads and the background was a tan color instead of blue).
Hi all,

Gina

Oh yea -- you are right. My image has il.sndcnd.com in it! Need a another approach!
They just tried to get me! Damn haters!
Hi all,

Gina

Gina, I've only had music uploaded on my account for a few days, and this morning is the first time I encountered these bots. I accidently followed one before realizing it was a bot, but Soundcloud won't let me unfollow one of them. I can only block, so I did and reported every bot I got as spam.
I got a similar load of these last night when I posted some new tracks. I've blocked them and reported them all for spam but I want to get rid of their likes- I have like 20 likes on my tracks which have zero plays! It's ridiculous, how can I remove these likes as they are just spam and mean nothing?
First time for me, but I just uploaded a new track, same deal, 13 likes from spam accounts, each one having the same JPG image. I blocked them and reported them as spam. Is there any way to delete the bogus "likes"?
It started as one... a single spam account, now everytime I upload a new track, 10-15 of these bastards immediately like the track and follow me, it's annoying as poo... I try to block every one as soon as they follow/like...
How to I rid the bogus likes ? .... for some reason, the listing of LIKES contains the spammers owner names, and I have blocked each one, and checked both boxes to also report the spam, but the bogus likes are STILL there, and the bogus owner names are STILL THERE .... Change the scripts to allow US to boot and erase bogus likes .... I could easily erase every one of them if you would just let us control our environment a little more .... give us a check box by each like, and a DELETE button to delete them, if we so choose .... It's better than the system as it stands now .... Go check my likes for my latest upload ... pure spam ....
I just got a dumb hoard of 30
I am experiencing this too - I posted a song about 5 minutes ago and already it has 26 likes (see pictures) - and no plays. It's quite frustrating as I don't want to be seen as someone who buys likes but when this happens...ugg.

Yep same problem here, 21 likes from them in 3 minutes,, and at the same time 21 followers,, and yah,, soundcloud is going to get problems

1* my follower counter does'nt work correctly
2* play counter does'nt work correctly
3* deleting 4 tracks cuz i uploaded a track from 3 minutes and i had 4 minutes left ( now i have 16 minutes left ) and even now i can't upload i uploaded with the classic one

( the 3th problem is the most problem for me ) get it often
but the 2nd problems 1 & 2 is through that crazy EZfollowers )
I started to get them as well, as of 25th October 2014. meep
sorry, meant 2015
Just checked my latest upload this morning, all the fake likes from the SPAM bots are gone. Thanks to whoever it was in admin that did this! 🙂
Hi. Same thing happened to me today on a new upload: 1 play, 16 likes, and a bunch of spam followers.
Just had this problem too as I uploaded a new track. E-mailed SoundCloud to report this and will now go to blocking them.