Question

I've been getting these annoying spam bots in my likes and followers... They come in hoards of 5-20.

• 22 October 2015
  • 80 replies

Show first post

80 replies

Hi all,

We are very aware of this incredibly annoying issue that is hitting the platform hard. We have a pretty good method of detecting the batches once their accounts get activated but we haven't managed to block their access from signing up without blocking legitimate accounts. Keep reporting as this ensures that none get passed us but also know that our Trust and Safety team is trying to get one step ahead so this ugliness doesn't show up on your accounts.

Thanks for everyone's patience,
Gina

Hi Gina, all of these comments were 5 months ago but having become relatively active in the past few weeks, clearly not much has changed. Surely the answer is some character recognition type security... and/or I don't get this problem on Facebook or LinkedIn so what do they know that we don't?

Thx

FunkiNova
As much as they are annoying, I actually enjoy having them like my tracks. I know they're fake, but come on, they're the only ones that have liked/followed.
fuck off, they are annoying.Period.
Hi all,

We are very aware of this incredibly annoying issue that is hitting the platform hard. We have a pretty good method of detecting the batches once their accounts get activated but we haven't managed to block their access from signing up without blocking legitimate accounts. Keep reporting as this ensures that none get passed us but also know that our Trust and Safety team is trying to get one step ahead so this ugliness doesn't show up on your accounts.

Gina

Make them need a captcha at signup/login! IT'S NOT THAT HARD GINA.
Userlevel 1
They are scraping every song that is uploaded and liking. Smdh...
Same issue here. I was excited when I had plays and likes only minutes after uploading my tracks, then dismayed to find that all of these "likes" were nothing more than spam bots, apparently scraping or scanning for uploads then creating this false like and play of my track. All they want is to try and sell me "fake" likes and traffic for my songs, which would only cost me money and give me no real fans at all.
Userlevel 1
Hi all,

Gina

Hi Gina,

I can say that I never had this problem in the past (year or so ago). But today I uploaded 3 tracks of mine, and all three had "likes" and "plays" within minutes from what I thought were legitimate users. But when I clicked on these supposed "fans" I could see that all of them were just simply marketers, trying to sell me "likes" and "fans" for my soundcloud account. I'd rather have no fans than these scam fans, thanks.
As much as they are annoying, I actually enjoy having them like my tracks. I know they're fake, but come on, they're the only ones that have liked/followed.
Thats ridiculous they clearly dont give a f about our tracks..
Maybe we all should just be forced to leave a comment of constructive criticism on our tracks before following or bothering anyone.. or just go away 🙂 likes are great but lazy its not really feedback. As for these users / bots / whatever they are.. they use the same pictures all the time even if they are different its pretty obvious to a HUMAN. They must be earning something somewhere or its just pointless. You need physical people to go looking and delete them all daily. Seriously if you wish to give me a job I will do it daily you can pay me @ paypal ! ? 🙂 lol
Userlevel 2
To SoundCloud : look at this person robot : the 512 reposters are spammers like her it. Delete them and you will a little be clean the world.
Gina,

Isn't it possible to, ok it's brute, but isn't it possible to block new signups for some time untill the admins find a way to stop them forever, I think that would be much more pleasant for you admins and focus on a system preventing this crap... so you don't lose your mind on constantly removing new spam accounts, cuz the bots will always stay ahead this way.

and when the signup is closed we get rid of the spam likes/shares/comments everybody happy.
I actually am getting both the picture accounts and like and follows from people who commonly have female pictures with a single uploaded track labeled how to get free likes and plays. I got over 200 songs and I really need to know who is real and fake as I create more content 😨
Yeah, I had to block and report more than 10 today.
This will get annoying quick..
If you are going to make us block manually, can we get a UX improvement for autoselecting 'report as spam' and permanent block based on the last set state ?

Thanks..
Userlevel 1
I'm sick of the fake followers and likes I keep getting every time I upload a new track. Please sort this out Soundcloud, it's been happening for months now. Even blocking them doesn't remove their likes from my tracks.

Its been 9 months since SC bothered replying.. my main activity on SC this last year has been to block and report all SPAM bots. Whether the term spam bot is accurate or not we dont care.. we know what we mean and we all can tell from the photo who is a spam bot.. always a gorgeous female.. The main problem is the sites that are there allowing us to buy plays and likes etc.. they have no sense of shame but this is life.. sure that may be all legal but its really POINTLESS.. I even used it once to see if it works and wtf is going on... yeah I did get my 10000 likes or whatever in hours ... [by machine no doubt] but I felt pathetic and deleted the track 🙂 what is the point when they are not genuine? thats some stupid psychology.. artists know you paid for the likes they can tell by your profile and track plays etc... maybe the average user will not know and think WOW ! click play.... but to artists.. youre an idiot and desperate. Those sites need to be bombed and deleted. lol
In the last three days I've had probably 30 bots follow and all like the same three tracks. It's pretty bad.
Me too. 20-30 in the last few days. Same three tracks. They are all ostensibly female. Most have account photos but no tracks or activity.

In the past I have noticed the occasional spam follow/like (usually with a link to a dating/sex site), but they'd only crop up 2 or 3 times a year. The sudden trend of bot activity over the last few days is something I've never experienced before. What's going on?
I hate to be that guy, but I literally just don't have enough time keep up with these bots so I'm just gonna try out Bandcamp for a while. Their model seems to work with the new music business a lot better.
For me at least, this problem has now stopped. No more daily spam-likes. And my 30 new 'followers' have disappeared.

Good news!

However this solution came about - thank you!
Cannot understand... What is a problem to block persons having "get more followers" in their profile? Or having tracks titled "click here to get more followers"? It looks like SC does just nothing about that.

Just searched for tracks entitled "click here to get more followers". I tired scrolling them - there are hundreds of them, maybe thousands.
lately it has not been as bad.. I might have to block 1 or 2 now.
Time to build a machine learning team to tackle this spam. It should be doable to put some behavior metrics alongside spam reports and get a pretty reliable system in place.

Even possibly doing something a 1 day cool off period between signing up and sending messages, or a required listening/commenting ratio would be doable.

Or shit, just disallow people from commenting on or liking tracks that they have not listened to personally. :)I really doubt the bots are actually streaming any music...
Hell yeah I feel you
I have had this problem since at least 2011-12 and I have come to the conclusion: soundcloud does not care. If soundcloud does care, please prove me wrong! Or state your case and why I should believe it as a paying user. Because from a long time users perspective, and technical background, I can not name one evidence of counter-measure that I've seen in my soundcloud experience on soundcloud's part. Anecdotally, bot users are still counted as users when platforms talk figures with other business parties, so it works from a profitability standpoint of showing off growth, "this year we saw 024582398 new users favoriting 952385928293859 tracks," and I would guess bots still do it because some people are actually interested in paying to boost their music, or whatever is going on there.. Another thing I heard once is that sometimes a writer buys 50% of their own books just to stand out from other new books. But if I was writing books I'd still just care about writing the book. Anyway, whatever's going on here, it sucks for users and it would be nice if soundcloud stood for something.
So every day I come over to my account to check my notifications. Pretty much every time I open my notifications, I get like 10+ Notifications from these bots with an icon saying "VISIT EZFOLLOWERS.XYZ AND GET 10,000 PLAYS NOW!" with yellow text, a blue background , varying colored stripes at the bottom, and with a black dot at the upper right. I'm not interested in fake views. I'm sick of these, because I go to my notifications hoping for a comment or something like that, and what do I see? THAT FREAKING BLUE ICON TIMES 20. I'm definitely getting crazy here, but I've had it with these. I know the people who work for this website are trying to get rid of spam followers, but these specific ones come in hoards, and it would be nice if they could try to focus on getting rid of them to improve the experience for the people who use this site to upload.

Here's an example of what I've had happen. Once I got 20 of these crowded on one track, but currently there are 7 on this, assuming they haven't been deleted yet.

every track i upload gets liked by these "sound viral" bots. the only difference is that theyre using orange.
HEY THIS IS PREETY COOL BUT AYE AYE AYOU SHOULD CHECK OUT MY TRACK ITS A WHOLE VIBE soundcloud.com/cartiergleam/finer-things ฏ๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎ฏ๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎ฏ๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎