Question

I've been getting these annoying spam bots in my likes and followers... They come in hoards of 5-20.

• 22 October 2015
  • 81 replies

Show first post

81 replies

Cannot understand... What is a problem to block persons having "get more followers" in their profile? Or having tracks titled "click here to get more followers"? It looks like SC does just nothing about that.

Just searched for tracks entitled "click here to get more followers". I tired scrolling them - there are hundreds of them, maybe thousands.
I have now emailed to trust <at> soundcloud.com. This is the first response I got. It is not helpful.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey there,Thanks for taking the time to write back in about this.
However, I have just reviewed the accounts that you're referring to here and and related accounts and they don't seem to be showing any of the signs we typically associate with fake accounts. They have sign up IP addresses that are individual to them, normally fake accounts are made en masse from a single or limited range of ip addresses. I also couldn't see that they have engaged in anything that could be spammy behavior in terms of the tracks they have liked or reposted
If there are any other accounts that you're concerned about please let us know.
Best, Tom
Time to build a machine learning team to tackle this spam. It should be doable to put some behavior metrics alongside spam reports and get a pretty reliable system in place.

Even possibly doing something a 1 day cool off period between signing up and sending messages, or a required listening/commenting ratio would be doable.

Or shit, just disallow people from commenting on or liking tracks that they have not listened to personally. :)I really doubt the bots are actually streaming any music...
I have now emailed to trust <at> soundcloud.com. This is the first response I got. It is not helpful.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey there,Thanks for taking the time to write back in about this.
However, I have just reviewed the accounts that you're referring to here and and related accounts and they don't seem to be showing any of the signs we typically associate with fake accounts. They have sign up IP addresses that are individual to them, normally fake accounts are made en masse from a single or limited range of ip addresses. I also couldn't see that they have engaged in anything that could be spammy behavior in terms of the tracks they have liked or reposted
If there are any other accounts that you're concerned about please let us know.
Best, Tom

I responded to Soundcloud with this email:

Please see the list below. It shows the subjects and date/time received for all ‘like’ notifications we received on October 27. I believe that all these people are either spammers or their sound cloud accounts were setup and triggered by some kind of automated bot process. I believe this to be the case because we never have gotten more than 1 or 2 likes in a day, and if you look at when these in the list were received they are tightly bunched together indicating an automatic process. In addition, look at our plays for October 27, you will notice a similar patterned play setup. All the tracks were played an even number of times yesterday. This just wouldn’t happen if the tracks were played by humans. <<<note -- in the email back to souindcloud, i included a list of the usernames from the 600 of the spam like emails i got yesterday.>>>>
lately it has not been as bad.. I might have to block 1 or 2 now.
Hell yeah I feel you