Question

[IDEA] Soundcloud Desktop Application

Userlevel 1
Hi i'm a program/application developer and i am a big Soundcloud fan since 2013.

Ever since i got introduced to SoundCloud i signed off my Spotify account and started using SoundCloud. Music helps me through my studies so i don't get distracted and instead focus.

Problem is i have to get to the web to be able to hear my music. Web browsers tend to use much RAM and my laptop i use for my studies cant handle so much.

So i started developing a Windows Application for listening to my music.
If you like the idea of a Desktop Application then i will continue on it.

Link to Beta version: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36524555/SoundCloud.Desktop.zip
Stay tuned for more. - Faxity

47 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Meenkentes,

Unfortunately, a desktop app is currently not something on SoundCloud's roadmap for the unforeseen future. 😕 I will pass on your feedback to our product team. There are two things that might make for a workaround, or at least an improvement of your current workflow.

1. When you're on SoundCloud.com, hit "h". This will provide an overview over all of the keyboard shortcuts you can use on SoundCloud.
  2. There might be way to turn a website into an app under Linux. I haven't tested this myself, but if it works, let the community know. 🙂
Even though this thread is quite old already, I want to restart the [idea] of this post again.

Especially, since there seems to be an official (even though it is beta it seems) Desktop app for Windows 10. I'm a little bit jealous as a Linux user. Every third party player has the problem of not having a proper "automatic" auto play for similar music. Also, customized global keybinding is nonexistent (especially customized, since some systems simply do not have multimedia keys). And also maybe a problem is the fact, that artists can prohibit their music on third party apps.

At least I wish for an official (first party) SoundCloud Desktop app for Linux. Besides that, I'm still very grateful for the Web Player and thankful for this nice environment of music.
Hi

I'd like to have a UPLOAD app for soundcloud. I upload all my news reports (local radio station, Guovdageainnu Lagasradio) every day, and I need a simpler, faster way of uploading files to my account. I run OS X.

1. Automatically uploading to soundcloud when I move file to a local folder of my choosing (called soundcloud upload).
2. Uploading several files at the same time, batch upload. Not more than 4-5 files necessary.

Maybe this is possible to do in Automator? Anyone who knows more about this?

Nils Martin Kristensen, Guovdageainnu Lagasradio
Userlevel 1
We also build a native SoundCloud player available for iOS and Windows. You can get it here: https://cloud-player.io/#/desktop-app.
Userlevel 1
It would be very cool if simple SoundCloud desktop app avalible for Win/Mac/Linux designed with taking into account the low consumption of CPU, RAM resources of PC.
Yes i am developing a new version of the application. But i haven't gotten so far into it as i'm studying for some exams right now and some other projects.

As i have a Mac myself now to exclusively code on i want a new version as the current version is cluttered and has some problems.

But the new version will support Mac, Windows and Linux with a new modern UI and more features than the current version 🙂. Maybe i will be putting out a developmental version before the summer but then i will be writing here so i can get some bug testing and support from you guys (and gals).

Stay tuned / iFaxity
It would be very cool if simple SoundCloud desktop app avalible for Win/Mac/Linux designed with taking into account the low consumption of CPU, RAM resources of PC.
Userlevel 1
Hi Izze,

Thank you very much for your interest in SoundCloud. I have to be honest with you, we had a Mac desktop app and it was not popular enough for us to continue to support it. A Window's desktop app, i'm afraid would have a similar faith. However, if you are into developing things and you love SoundCloud then keep an eye on this.

Thanks again for being part of our community!

Cheers,
Gina

Do you mean a seperate application for messaging within SoundCloud PM? If you mean that i'm not sure it can be done. It's really limited what you can do in a program with SoundCloud integration. *Some* stuff that are on the website cant be done anywhere else. However it can surely be done somehow.

Anyways i'll look into it. (please try to write what you mean more in depth)
Userlevel 1
Hi Izze,

Thank you very much for your interest in SoundCloud. I have to be honest with you, we had a Mac desktop app and it was not popular enough for us to continue to support it. A Window's desktop app, i'm afraid would have a similar faith. However, if you are into developing things and you love SoundCloud then keep an eye on this.

Cheers,
Gina

Please Add An Additional App For Soundcloud Primarily For Chat/Messenger believe me you will not be sorry
Userlevel 1
I'm switching website hosts and the website will be down for some time. Until then the updater and installer will not work as they get all resources from the website.

I will post here later or edit this post when this get fixed.

I will also post a guide how to enable developmental versions of SoundStreamer so you can download the latest version to test cool new stuff. Will be very helpful to me as i can locate bugs and test on multiple users.
Until then please enjoy the application 🙂.

EDIT:
Website is up again!

Hmm. Don't know why explorer.exe crashes. May be something weird with windows.
I will keep working on it. I'm even creating a whole new version of it for mac & windows as the current one is hard to maintain by myself.

Thank you for supporting and using SoundStreamer. I would be happy if you let others know of it as well so more people can enjoy it with all of us 🙂
I'm switching website hosts and the website will be down for some time. Until then the updater and installer will not work as they get all resources from the website.

I will also post a guide how to enable developmental versions of SoundStreamer so you can download the latest version to test cool new stuff. Will be very helpful to me as i can locate bugs and test on multiple users.

EDIT:
Website is up again!

@iFraxity Thank you that you helped me!

The Installer still crashes explorer.exe.
BUT I tryed to install it on my other Win 10 laptop and it worked fine!
Transfered the Data with USB Stick and threw it into the AppData -> Local folder. Now it works also on my main PC!

I Like your "SoundStreamer" und already using it!
Hope you will keep working on this!
Userlevel 1

EDIT:
Website is up again!

You're not the first user to have this problem. I got some messages from others that also had this error.

Simply put. I messed up the website and the installer couldn't download the files for the installation. It should be fixed within 30 minutes.

When i detected the error i was away for a week and didn't have a computer with me.
Now that i'm back i've fixed the problem.

Enjoy the application 🙂 (in 30 minutes).

EDIT:
Website is up again!

Thanks@iFraxity for your fast answer!

I have Windows 10 installed and the
.NET Framework is up to date.

Sadly I have no error message for you :(
(I also tryed download it again, same thing: only loading no window pops up and my explorer is crashing...)
Userlevel 1

EDIT:
Website is up again!

Hey@Red. I've not heard of this sort of problem before. If i would have some kind of error message with it i could have known exactly.

If you can tell me your windows version you have i can look into it.
But first try to install this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42642. I think you need to have windows 7 or newer to install it.

EDIT:
Website is up again!

Hello@iFraxity

I have a problem with the installer.
When I start the installer it does nothing or the explorer.exe crashes, when it does nothing I have to restart my explorer.exe because its "running", but it only has the loading icon.
I already tryed my best to fix the problem but it wont work for me.
I hope you can help me! Really want a SoundCloud Desktop application.

(Sorry when my English is kinda bad. Greetings from Germany 😃 )
Hi man, thanks so much for this app, I love listening to music while gaming but chrome just uses too much RAM, so this app really came handy.

I just have one complaint, it does not have a shuffle button when you're listening to your likes, I was wondering if that would be hard to implement? Because I love that feature on the soundcloud site

awesome!
Userlevel 1

EDIT:
Website is up again!
Userlevel 1
Hi man, thanks so much for this app, I love listening to music while gaming but chrome just uses too much RAM, so this app really came handy.

I just have one complaint, it does not have a shuffle button when you're listening to your likes, I was wondering if that would be hard to implement? Because I love that feature on the soundcloud site

Yeah that could be good. I could also add the artwork on top there (or in the background sort of). I just have to work on that and i will probably post a development version on it so you can test it out.

Thanks for contributing to the project Alejandro!

I was thinking on something a little like this, but I'm not the best designer

Userlevel 1

Yes. I would also like a shuffle button. One of the problems i'm having with it is that i don't know where to put it. I have been working on one on the developmental version.

I want to add it to any playlist, likes, stream & my tracks.

One of the solutions is this:

Having the shuffle next to the playlist. Aswell as other quick actions.

What do you think of this? I'm not the best at UI/UX but if you have any other ideas then just tell me. Otherwise i will roll with this.

Same, I really like the shuffle button. plz add to the app. It would be awesome! 😃 😃

Userlevel 1
I'm changing the name of the application to something other than "SoundCloud Desktop" because i can't use the SoundCloud name in my app. So I'm still working on a new name and i'm creating a logo for it too.

Post suggestions for names if you have some catchy names. Currently i'm thinking of "SoundStreamer" or something along the lines of that.
Also if you want to you can post your suggestions for features that you would like to add. Or
tell me about bugs you've found.

The website is still http://scdesktop.us.to.
If you want to PM me my SC profile is: https://soundcloud.com/faxity

I'm very sorry but i work with the SoundCloud API. They dont allow 3rd pary logins as you said.

Maybe i'll make a workaround. Until then you can only use your soundcloud login email and soundcloud login password (ask soundcloud for this type of help because i'm not fit for that type of support).

I'm very happy that you like this application. It will become better and better in the coming months.
I'm changing the name of the application to something other than "SoundCloud Desktop" because i can't use the SoundCloud name in my app. So I'm still working on a new name and i'm creating a logo for it too.

Post suggestions for names if you have some catchy names. Currently i'm thinking of "SoundStreamer" or something along the lines of that.
Also if you want to you can post your suggestions for features that you would like to add. Or

I'm very much interested in this program, thankyou so much for developing it.
The only problem is when I login to Soundcloud, I use my google account. Is there a way to make your program accept google accounts as well as soundcloud accounts?

edit: Ah nm, I just read you responded to this earlier in regards to 3rd party accounts. I currently don't have a soundcloud account, and moving everything over would be quite an undertaking. I'll continue to watch this I eagerly await the time it's able to do this. Again thankyou so much for such a great program ^_^
Hi Izze,

Cheers,
Gina

Maybe you shouldn't of made one for the Mac since they hold a small % of the overall market. The PC by far has the biggest sales statistic due to the greater variety of brands, as well as public familiarity. Why the heck develop for the minority group first and then decide it'd not work for the majority if the minority weren't interested? That's not good business sense.

Even now when PC sales are imploding and Apple sales are exploding, they fall far far short statistically when it's just apple vs everyone else: http://bgr.com/2015/07/11/mac-vs-pc-sales-2015/

That's a mere 7.8% of the retail market in 2015. Ok so this is just 2015 right? This isn't a good example of how many people own a PC to a Mac? No problem. How about the information extending from 2005/2006 for both to 2015: http://www.statista.com/statistics/263444/sales-of-apple-mac-computers-since-first-quarter-2006/ and also
http://www.statista.com/statistics/203712/global-unit-shipments-of-pcs/

See if you added all those together, the PC market would absolutely dominate by so much. Fact is, far more people own PCs than they do Macs. Why on earth would you even use the popularity of a Mac application to give a forecast of a PC application?
Userlevel 1