Question

Is anyone else out there who is not pleased that Sound Cloud has stopped giving html code link to tracks

• 23 February 2015
  • 11 replies

Is anyone else out there who is not pleased that Sound Cloud has stopped giving html code link to tracks? I have a website that I, now, cannot put my music on. Thanks Sound Cloud for your consideration - I am a prime user and pay £80 per year precisely for this option. James

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi James,

Thank you for visiting our help forum, I know it's super frustrating when there's a change in a product that negatively affects your use. You absolutely were not alone in your frustration, there were many users who used html links in their profile to promote their music and that's what we are here for - to promote your music.

Sadly, spammers and other malicious users abused the availability of html links. The security of our users is of the utmost importance and in this case, the amount of potential harm was not something we could permit or ignore. You can still add links to descriptions, but they will display as full URLs rather than displaying text that links.

Again, it sucks that we had to do this! We never imagined it would be used against us and our users but that was the case and the reason we removed html code links.

On a positive note, we are always working on brand new features for users, we'd love to have you stick around in our creator community.

Best wishes,
Gina
What's the difference if people can abuse HTML they can abuse HTML 5 and your other links - I have two options here - I can pay for a new web site design or I can look for a new provider who will supply HTML links and a player - I think that the problem is not security but a dumbing down - to provide links to Facebook - this always happens with companies who see their bigger market as enthusiasts and amateurs and ignore professional artist - who in the main are people who really need your service to promote their work to make the meagre living that we do - I am not impressed - I thought a company like yours would support the profession - but as soon as you have sucess and join the big co status you ignore us - I am looking into other options - no doubt your co will continue to prosper for a while but I think I should remind you of what happened to MySpace when it dumbed down James
Posted on Facebook about this and so many professional musicians are of the same opinion - you are doing us a real disservice - this is not about security it is about directing people to sound cloud directly - composers and musicians and some of the worst paid people - we rely in our websites and we thought we had a reliable friend with sound loud which is obviously not the case - you Are exploitative like so many other companies who are happy for music to exist because you make millions but don't feel you have a responsibility to the people who actually make it - great - you carry on while we look for another outlet - I pay )£80 a year for this and you have just taken the reason away for why I should pay this - you are obviously making more money for selling personal info than fromSubscribers to your pro package - which incidentally, cannot be called Pro because you don't cater for us - j
Stop listening to your accountants and start thinking about the users who gave you your success j
NO I DONT THINK IS ANY BODY DONT PLEAS WITH YOU AND YOUR WORK I LIKE SOUND CLOUD VERY MUCH THANKS
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there James,

I'd like to follow up on this to really understand what exactly it is that is so essential for you to need html editing in your track descriptions. Or, am I missing something. I am somewhat confused here - You can still embed your tracks on your personal website to give your listeners the opportunity to listen on your personal website straight away. Also, you can still provide a link to your personal website, among other sites you might have across the social network landscape on your public profile.

From what I understand, you would like to make sure there is a link to your website on every single track that you post, namely in their descriptions. Is this correct? If so, then yes, this is the one thing you won't be able to do any longer, for the given reasons that Gina has provided before. Trying to enforce traffic on SoundCloud.com directly by removing html compatibility to be a driver for this couldn't be further from the truth though - sorry.

Either way, I'll make sure to pass on your query to the relevant product team, no doubt. We do value that you're voicing your opinion on that.

Cheers
Mathis
Userlevel 1
Hi there James,

I'd like to follow up on this to really understand what exactly it is that is so essential for you to need html editing in your track descriptions. Or, am I missing something. I am somewhat confused here - You can still embed your tracks on your personal website to give your listeners the opportunity to listen on your personal website straight away. Also, you can still provide a link to your personal website, among other sites you might have across the social network landscape on your public profile.

From what I understand, you would like to make sure there is a link to your website on every single track that you post, namely in their descriptions. Is this correct? If so, then yes, this is the one thing you won't be able to do any longer, for the given reasons that Gina has provided before. Trying to enforce traffic on SoundCloud.com directly by removing html compatibility to be a driver for this couldn't be further from the truth though - sorry.

Either way, I'll make sure to pass on your query to the relevant product team, no doubt. We do value that you're voicing your opinion on that.

Cheers
Mathis

"I'd like to follow up on this to really understand what exactly it is that is so essential for you to need html editing in your track descriptions. Or, am I missing something."

Yes. You are missing something. I am a subscriber to over 200+ podcasts and ALL of my favorite podcasts have HTML show notes with clickable links in their show notes. This makes it extremely easy for me to click through to topics discussed on the podcast directly from my phone/podcasting app without having to navigate to another external website or search the internet. Not to mention, many of the top podcast hosts already allow interactive, html show notes that makes it super convenient for podcasters and listeners alike.

Imagine a simple, hour long podcast where 3-4 major topics are discussed with at least 5-6 different references to external media. Most podcast listeners multitask while listening to podcasts. Do you really expect them to remember all of those references till they get home and do 'additional research' OR, wouldn't it be great if the listener simply pulls out the show notes with one swipe and simply click through to that link? Again, this is easy to check. Go and download the top 10 podcasts on iTunes and see how many of them are doing html show notes.

By the way, did I mention I am a SoundCloud Pro user and a podcaster? I have first hand experience with this annoyance and have emailed SoundCloud 3-4 separate times since last year. I thought iTunes/RSS had a CDATA[...] tag specification to stop malicious use of html by escaping characters etc...Also, if 'maliciousness' is such a problem, how do you explain the popularity of HTML/Interactive show notes?

It's very clear that SoundCloud is still primarily focused for 'musicians' and not podcasters, but if you guys are charging for a premium product, I'd like to have a couple of basic features as this.

By the way, here is a copy of a email I sent to Soundcloud on April 24 2015:

------ start -----

Hey there ---

I've been using SoundCloud for a while now.

Can you please forward these suggestions to your engineering team and If possible, let me know of the possibility of them being implemented in the future?

1.) Multiple RSS Feeds For Premium Accounts -- I realize that people could easily abuse this feature by hosting 50 different podcasts within one account, but I think it would be a good selling point if you include at least 2-5 separate RSS feeds on all premium accounts. This way, if anyone wants to host another podcast or audio stream on a RSS feed, they could do it all within their SoundCloud account. We would also LOVE to have multiple RSS feeds to experiment with other shows/audio streams.

2.) Intuitive/Better Android App -- The SoundCloud android app is not the greatest experience. Also, considering that most people browse the web on their phone, I am surprised that we don't have a fully featured App on my phone. I don't have access to Stats, I cannot do quick edits of Sound Files etc.... Can we fix this stuff in a future release?

3.) Geographic Stats + Detailed Audio Stats -- The SoundCloud stats are decent, but I'd love to see a visual (world) map of all of my listeners instead of a boring bar graph. I was thinking a world heat map where I am able to filter the following data points: Global+Total Downloads / Downloads Per Show / Traffic Sources etc..... Also, it would be super useful if we are able to see the precise location of an audio track where a listener dropped off when streaming. For example, the "play count" stat is very deceiving because I could theoretically hit "play" then close my browser but my account registers that as a "play". It's much more valuable to see where listeners are dropping off on a particular audio track. YouTube's algorithm accounts for "watch time" so people can't pad the stats by merely "refreshing" their page. How about "listen time" for sound cloud? Also, I should be able to apply filters to remove certain stats, Meaning: I should be able to have a setting that will ignore MY traffic from SoundCloud stats so that stats aren't "skewed" by my own activity. Google Analytics lets one do this.

4.) Pre-defined Templates for Track Uploads -- If I am a podcaster, I have to edit all of these settings for EVERY episode: Enable Downloads, Disable Stats, Hide Comments, Add a Cover Image, add a "amp;show_playcount=false" tag to my embed code etc....If I am releasing an episode everyday, I have to do all of the above tasks everyday and likely, I am going to miss something eventually. Why not have a "default" settings option where I am able to select all of my optimum settings so I don't have to deal with redundant tasks?

5.) Private followers and Likes -- This is not a HUGE need, but I realize that some people would like to make their "followers" and "likes" collections private. The feature should be available nevertheless.

6.) Enhanced/Interactive Show Notes -- I don't need anything fancy. All I want is the ability to have detailed show notes, use lists/bullets and hyperlinks. Having to redirect listeners to our website to see detailed show notes is a huge inconvenience. A lot of podcasts hosted elsewhere already have these meta data (links, bullet point show notes, paragraphs etc..) and it makes the listening experience much more enjoyable/fun/convenient.

---- end ----

Thanks so much!