Question

Is there a way to hide reposts of other users in my stream?

Userlevel 3
This repost-thing is getting a bit out of hand for me. i'm currently following only 49 people and i'm interested in what sounds they upload, but in my stream there are about 50 reposts every day, so it's very difficult to identify the sounds uploaded by the people i follow. is there any way to hide/exclude all reposts from my stream?

117 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hey there dan,

Thanks for writing in about this. At this time we don't have current plans to enable a feature to hide reposts from the Stream. I do get your point though, no doubt! I have forwarded your email along to our developers to review as they look for ways to improve both the listening and creator experience on the platform.

Cheers,
Mathis
Userlevel 3
Hey Mathis,

thanks for your reply and your effort by forwarding this! Keep up the good work with soundcloud :)

Greetings!
Userlevel 3
I too would welcome such a feature. I'm mostly interested in the original content of those I follow and the reposts push that content out of view.
Userlevel 3
I don't use the Stream feature any more. Its just full of reposts I have no interest in. All we need is a way to filter out reposts in the Stream, this would be a much-used feature I am sure.
Userlevel 1
Personally I don't like the new Soundcloud I prefer the oldest version in all way
Userlevel 2
We need this filter for sure
Userlevel 2
I endorse this sentiment, and agree wholly. Hiding reposts on my stream is definitely a feature I would have turned on ninety percent of the time. This isn't tumblr.
Userlevel 3
Please Please Please!!!!! I'm inches from unfollowing many talented producers because they repost a lot, and the Reposts are actually making soundcloud nearly unusable as I scroll and scroll and scroll to find the original content. I've even considered leaving soundcloud all together to focus on band camp. Hiding reposts is an ESSENTIAL feature. Please please please.
Userlevel 3
Hey there dan,

Thanks for writing in about this. At this time we don't have current plans to enable a feature to hide reposts from the Stream. I do get your point though, no doubt! I have forwarded your email along to our developers to review as they look for ways to improve both the listening and creator experience on the platform.

Cheers,
Mathis

expediate this. You are losing users by not having this feature. by my limited knowledge it doesn't seem difficult to implement either. "IF=Is.repost AND User.preferences=no.reposts then Post2stream=NO." Pressure somebody to put this feature in, soundcloud is slowly losing me as a user based solely on the lack of this feature.
Userlevel 1
stream turns in trash. goodbye
Agree
Userlevel 3
tl;dr: I wrote a script that does this, at the bottom
Hey everyone in this thread, I hope you get notifications cause good news!
I realized i was having the same thing annoy me, so while we wait for soundcloud to do their thing and make this a feature, I've written a script that does this for you - not in the best way, but itll do it.

Essentially this script will do two things for you:
1) Remove all reposts from your stream's view so you cant see them and you will only see original posts
2) skip any reposts so that only original posts are playing the entire

IMPORTANT: scroll down a bit so that songs are loading on to your screen.
The music player is separate from the view, and the only way that the script knows if the a song is a repost is by checking it in the view, so if you scroll down a bit first and load songs, the script will work better
ALSO leave the stream page open

LASTLY: for those who don't know how to run the script, go to the stream page, press F12, a little window should popup, go to the tab called 'console' and just paste it in there and press ENTER
I've tested this only on chrome, tell me if you have any problems

Enjoy :)
Noam

THE SCRIPT:

(function() { var skipButton = document.getElementsByClassName("skipControl playControls__icon sc-ir skipControl__next")[0];
var skip = [];

function repeat() {
var posts = document.getElementsByClassName('soundList__item');
for (var i = 0; i < posts.length; i++) {
if (posts[i].innerHTML.indexOf('Reposted') !== -1) {
skip.push(posts[i].getElementsByClassName("soundTitle__title")[0].getElementsByTagName('span')[0].innerHTML);
posts[i].parentNode.removeChild(posts[i]);
}
}
var check = document.getElementsByClassName("playbackSoundBadge__titleContextContainer")[0];
console.log(skip);
if (check !== undefined) {
var curSongHolder = check.getElementsByTagName('a')[1];
for (var i = 0; i < skip.length; i++) {
if (skip[i] === curSongHolder.innerHTML) {
console.log('gah');
skipButton.click();
}
}
}
console.log('run');
setTimeout(repeat, 300);
}
repeat();
})();
Seems to work on Firefox, thank you so much. Hopefully Soundcloud will implement this soon.
Userlevel 3
Seems to work on Firefox, thank you so much. Hopefully Soundcloud will implement this soon.
thanks for letting me know, and no problem! it gave me a reason to procrastinate hw
I realized i was having the same thing annoy me, so while we wait for soundcloud to do their thing and make this a feature, I've written a script that does this for you - not in the best way, but itll do it.

1) Remove all reposts from your stream's view so you cant see them and you will only see original posts

The music player is separate from the view, and the only way that the script knows if the a song is a repost is by checking it in the view, so if you scroll down a bit first and load songs, the script will work better

LASTLY: for those who don't know how to run the script, go to the stream page, press F12, a little window should popup, go to the tab called 'console' and just paste it in there and press ENTER

Noam

THE SCRIPT:

(function() { var skipButton = document.getElementsByClassName("skipControl playControls__icon sc-ir skipControl__next")[0];
var skip = [];

function repeat() {
skip.push(posts[i].getElementsByClassName("soundTitle__title")[0].getElementsByTagName('span')[0].innerHTML);
}
}
var check = document.getElementsByClassName("playbackSoundBadge__titleContextContainer")[0];
console.log(skip);
console.log('gah');
skipButton.click();
}
}
}
console.log('run');
setTimeout(repeat, 300);
}
repeat();
})();

wow, thanks so much! it's weird how you've figured this out but soundcloud hasn't, haha. i second the working in chrome. thanks again!
Userlevel 3

Noam

THE SCRIPT:

var skip = [];

function repeat() {
}
}
console.log(skip);
console.log('gah');
skipButton.click();
}
}
}
console.log('run');
setTimeout(repeat, 300);
}
repeat();
})();

Great - thanks for this. Its so simple, I hope SC will take it up now.
Hey there dan,

Cheers,
Mathis

This should be an option. There should also be a mute function to keep certain profiles from appearing on my stream. Some people I want to support by following their page but I really don't care for their genre and I don't want it popping up on my feed, but I don't wanna hurt any feelings by unfollowing them. I use soundcloud really to hear new music, but there has been a social media aspect to it. If that is the case then let us mute people we pretend to care about.
Userlevel 3
Works great in Firefox for me too. Thank you very much, Noam! This should be such an obvious addition to the stream. I follow 376 profiles, so I don't need any extra push to discover more music, if that's SoundCloud's intention.

One feature I really miss from the old SoundCloud stream is likes from people I follow: "A, B, C and X others favorited this track", which was a great discovery tool. I would love to see something similar for likes+reposts combined.
Userlevel 1
So I take it you guys don't want anyone to repost your music
Userlevel 3
So I take it you guys don't want anyone to repost your music
That's not the issue. We just want to see what's being uploaded by the artists we follow. I'm following 376 profiles, and although they make good music, their reposts are usually not of interest to me.

I think it would be better to have a separate stream with likes+reposts from people I follow.
Hey there dan,

Cheers,
Mathis

Yes, this should definitely be a feature. I don't even bother looking in my stream anymore, because it's all reposts I couldn't care less about.
I agree we need a feature to be able to switch them on and off. When I search a particular artists page, I am only interested on the content on there profile page, not songs they have re-posted. Even if the reposts or there favourites were in a secondary tab? I still like to know what they have liked. Reposts make the stream page basically like social media now and its exhausting.
Userlevel 1
Hey there dan,

Cheers,
Mathis

You should think about including this feature, now my feed is full of junk from people who believe that their reposts are good. I have to admit, that I don't know if its because I am following the wrong people, or because people are just in a frenzy trend to repost everything
Userlevel 3
totally agree, sometimes i enjoy browsing through the reposts of the artists i already follow and discover a great new tune or artist

but it would be nice if soundcloud leaves the decision to the user if there are reposts in the stream or not 🙂
Userlevel 1
I'm a year long Soundcloud listener and I'm spending less and less time hearing NEW stuff. My feed is so clutterede by reposts. I like the stuff the people I follow create, not the stuff they like...

And I'm finding new music elsewhere more and more.....

This is a HUGE issue imo.