Question

Limit on how many tracks you can add to a playlist / set

• 6 November 2014
  • 29 replies

I'm very fond of playlists and only now have I realized that it caps playlists at 200 tracks, which is unnerving because most of my playlists have more tracks which I am now unable to see or play. Is there a way to bypass this or does Soundcloud plan on extending the maximum number of tracks permitted in a playlist?

29 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Thanks for posting. Currently, only 200 tracks in a playlist can be displayed. However, if a playlist does contain more then that, all tracks will be played, only this cannot be displayed at the moment. Our developers are looking for ways to improve this in the future though.

Hope this helps to shed some light on this! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks & all the best,
Mathis
Thanks for the reply! The issue seems to have been resolved - that was quick! Now if this is extended to the mobile app, I'll be a super happy camper.
All the best
Hi there,

Thanks for posting. Currently, only 200 tracks in a playlist can be displayed. However, if a playlist does contain more then that, all tracks will be played, only this cannot be displayed at the moment. Our developers are looking for ways to improve this in the future though.

Hope this helps to shed some light on this! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks & all the best,
Mathis

This was posted 5 months ago and I just ran into this issue on the mobile app. I can add over 200 tracks to my playlist on the browser app and listen to them, but if I access SoundCloud from my mobile app I can't see any tracks that are in the list after 200. Will this ever be fixed or should I start a new Playlist? Frustrating!
Hi there,

Thanks & all the best,
Mathis

I too ran into this exact same problem ever since i last updated soundcloud
Hi there,

Thanks & all the best,
Mathis

its still only 200 on the website version, ugh
No its not
No its not
I just hit my limit on the website, and I can't add to the playlist that is 200 long.
This needs to be fixed SoundCloud. I'd like the display to basically be unlimited. It's my workout playlist, and I like to view which songs I play. Give the users the choice without limitations...
PS. How in the world is this a 'solved' issue? It's not a solved issue. Reposting...
I'm on a computer right now (but I use my phone a lot) and I just added my 500th track and it looks like that's the cutoff. Is there a way around it or will it fix soon?
I'm having a 200 tracks limit on my deskop version here, terrible problem solving from you guys.
Hi there,

Thanks & all the best,
Mathis

i have like 360+ on my playlist how?
Hi there,

Thanks & all the best,
Mathis

That's not the problem. The problem is accessing track 201+ within the playlist. That's broken.
Hi there,

Thanks & all the best,
Mathis

I can confirm that I cannot seem to play any tracks after track 200 on my playlist. I was able to play tracks beyond 200 on my playlist just a few days ago. I am also a free user. If this is expected behavior, then it seems upgrading is the only answer.
Hi there,

Thanks & all the best,
Mathis

Update: I am now able to see and play tracks beyond 200+ and did not need to upgrade my subscription. I wonder if this will continue to be the case. It is very odd to have such a quick turnaround in my opinion.
Hi there,

Thanks & all the best,
Mathis

i only have 168 but when i add new tracks it tells me to create a new playlist and my playlist with 168 doesn't show up when adding
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Thanks & all the best,
Mathis

Hi there,

We've received a few reports about this from other users as well. Though 168 tracks doesn't seem to be too large (quite large, but not too large), we've found that if playlists get too large, the system fails to display them in the "add to playlist" dialogue. If you split the playlist, you should be able to have the playlists displayed again.

Our engineers are currently looking how this can be improved in the future. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be an easy fix due to a number of dependencies tied to it.

Hoping this helps to at least shed some light on why this is happening.
Hi there,

Thanks & all the best,
Mathis

I think the bigger problem might be that if you have multiple windows of Soundcloud open in the browser and add tracks to the playlist, it erases what you have added in another window unless you refresh the window, this seems like a serious problem.
Hi there,

Thanks & all the best,
Mathis

Also It doesn't refresh tracks on the app without logging out and logging back in when tracks are added when logged in from the browser.
Hi,

I'm having a similar issue with the mobile application, there was one day that it stopped showing all new tracks I' m adding through web app. I've tried logging out, re-installing the app, nothing worked!
To make it clear: I can see tracks in a list through the web app, than I cannot through the mobile app, all the newest.

Thanks and congrats for this dope app!!
PS. How in the world is this a 'solved' issue? It's not a solved issue. Reposting...
exactly!! I've been waiting for a solution for almost a year.
Just hit the 500 song limit myself.

I think a lot of people would not need the super long playlist functionality if there were more options for sorting and shuffling songs. I would just like to be able to shuffle / randomly listen to a variety of songs from a search result or all songs with a specific tag. If the shuffle button would appear at the top search results or even just the top of a tag page (https://soundcloud.com/tags/tag) OR EVEN if there was just some way to get the songs on the tag page to be in a different order, then I wouldn't have to bend over backwards to try to figure out how to listen to a random variety of all songs tagged with a specific tag.

It's 2015! Clouds are the future! Tagging is the future! So why does SoundCloud have these arbitrary limitations?
Hi,

I'm having a similar issue with the mobile application, there was one day that it stopped showing all new tracks I' m adding through web app. I've tried logging out, re-installing the app, nothing worked!
To make it clear: I can see tracks in a list through the web app, than I cannot through the mobile app, all the newest.

Thanks and congrats for this dope app!!

im getting the same issue but with a limit of 120 tracks...
I'm hitting a similar problem with a sonos controller android mobile and windows platforms, where it does not display more than 100 songs from a 113 long soundcloud playlist. sonos blame my soundcloud account, but I guess this is a coding error either in the sonos controller or the APIs used to access the soundcloud playlists.
Just hit the 500 song limit myself.

I think a lot of people would not need the super long playlist functionality if there were more options for sorting and shuffling songs. I would just like to be able to shuffle / randomly listen to a variety of songs from a search result or all songs with a specific tag. If the shuffle button would appear at the top search results or even just the top of a tag page (https://soundcloud.com/tags/tag) OR EVEN if there was just some way to get the songs on the tag page to be in a different order, then I wouldn't have to bend over backwards to try to figure out how to listen to a random variety of all songs tagged with a specific tag.

It's 2015! Clouds are the future! Tagging is the future! So why does SoundCloud have these arbitrary limitations?

I was able to have 500+ songs in my playlist. I'm not sure how, my only guess would be because of the fact that I add my songs from my phone or tablet. It's weird because when I try to add songs from my computer it tells me that I have reached the 500 limit but in my playlist I have around 560 so I'm not exactly sure how this works.