Answered

Multiple browsers "Not Responding" after scrolling well into my feed.

Show first post

51 replies

@Rhythmicity Your work here is really appreciated. Just hoping soundcloud soon realises the magnitude of this issue. Keep up the good work!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

This is just to inform you that we've reached out to our engineers and let them know about both this issue as well as this topic right here in particular. Unfortunately, there isn't much more I can do to help with with immediately, but rest assured it's been documented & forwarded on our end.

Thanks again & all the best
Mathis
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi,

We have found what could be the source of this problem and will be rolling out a fix in the next few days. I will update this thread once that has happened and we can check the problem has gone away.

Thanks for your patience!

Tom
Userlevel 4
Badge
Tom,

Thank you very much for your response and the update. I hope that the fix solves the issue.

I apologize for my frustration that has shown through from time to time on this, but I have to say, the customer service has been exceptionally poor in regards to the problem. Communication has been abysmal, which is particularly ironic in the case of Twitter support; Twitter is a service designed to send quick and succinct messages.

I think perhaps the Twitter support crew get so used to the 140 character limit that they forget they can read beyond that point in a normal document. I'm quite serious.

It's clear to any human with common sense that there was substance to my complaint. I understand that you are assaulted with "Help! It's Broken! Fix it!" all day, which is why I thoroughly explained, tested and documented the issue from my very first post to eliminate all of the simpler causes. Yet, there was no communication for weeks at a time which is intensely frustrating.

The "your browser cannot handle your stream" response was insulting from a technical standpoint, of course, but exponentially worse was the finality of that answer given the amount of effort I was putting in on my end. Had I simply been told that the issue had been passed on to the next person for review, I would have left you guys alone to do your job.

A month is absolutely not an unreasonable amount of time to fix a code problem. What is unreasonable to to have only a single, dismissive point of contact with your customer during those 30 days.

It's also important to ask what would have happened if I didn't start complaining, because I most certainly was not the first. There are lots of other people reporting this error in the Community forums, and their efforts amounted to nothing. Some complaints didn't even have a moderator post in them.

In closing, thank you all for your time, but seriously, take a second look at customer service.

Regards,
Matt (Rhythmicity)
Sorry, I can't access my Soundcloud. Need help !!!

------------------------------------------------------------
My Website: http://appnaz.com/android/rastreio-correios-br.com.delxmobile.correiosrastreio
My Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allison.hadid.12
Userlevel 4
Badge
Sorry, I can't access my Soundcloud. Need help !!!

Hi,

We have found what could be the source of this problem and will be rolling out a fix in the next few days. I will update this thread once that has happened and we can check the problem has gone away.

Thanks for your patience!

Tom
Userlevel 4
Badge
We have just rolled out an update which will hopefully fix this issue. Please refresh your browser, and let us know if there are still any problems.

Thanks,
Tom
Userlevel 4
Badge
Tom,

I'm sorry to say that I see no change in SC behavior. The error is still occurring exactly as it did before. My computer has been rebooted, cache cleared, and the one test that negates all of those prerequisites - the incognito window - still has the error.

Here's my main account (https://soundcloud.com/rhythmicity) at only 22 hours back in my feed. You can see mousedown timeouts of 16,000ms, 22,000ms, etc..

Here's the "test" account (https://soundcloud.com/user-406012235). I halted my tests when you reported that you had a fix in the works, but as of my last test, I was able to scroll back only four days in my feed before getting the timeouts. Today, I can still only scroll back four days. Mousedown timeouts of 3,000ms+ are where the browser starts to go unresponsive.

For the next fix, you guys are welcome to log into either my main account or the test account to see if it has worked. All you need to do is scroll back either 24 hours on my main account, or four days on the test account, and try to play music. If you cannot move between tracks without the browser hanging, your fix has not worked.

Thank you,
Matt
Userlevel 4
Badge
We have just rolled out an update which will hopefully fix this issue. Please refresh your browser, and let us know if there are still any problems.

Thanks,
Tom

@Tom JenkinsonNow is the time when you come back to say you acknowledge your fix was ineffective, and you are working on something new to fix the problem.

I've been on this planet 42 years, worked a number of different jobs including customer service and IT, and I've been using computers since roughly 1983. I know my stuff, guys.

I have never, ever had such a poor customer service experience as I am having with you, tech-related or otherwise. How can you possibly be so dismissing of what is clearly a huge issue for your users? You offer a free service with glaring defects, and no support. Would it make a difference if I was paid?

So - like I am pulling teeth - are you guys still awake on this? Hello? You acknowledge the problem or?

I get that funny feeling I'm going to have to kick this into overdrive again. Last stop I was at 700 follows with four days of accessible error-free data. You guys find that acceptable, do you? I notice that MrSuicideSheep follows 2,000 people so I am sure they are having the issue as well. I can try to get them onboard, and I am sure I can find many other users that have hundreds of thousands or millions of followers to check for this problem.

HELLO?!?!?!
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hey @Rhy I understand the previous fix didn't fix this issue, it did however fix some others. This problem looks like it is more deep in the code base and is going to take a bit longer to figure out.

It is in our issue tracker though. We have not forgotten about it.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hey @Rhy I understand the previous fix didn't fix this issue, it did however fix some others. This problem looks like it is more deep in the code base and is going to take a bit longer to figure out.
It is in our issue tracker though. We have not forgotten about it.

Yes, that's fine. Yet, you see what your customers need to do to get a response from you. It could not have taken that much time for you to respond to me just now. Should that not have been done days ago, when I posted my findings?

I could understand if I was asking for a 35-page report each time you guys posted here, but all it takes is "Yeah, we know, we're on it." Really.

Plus which, that answer is very diplomatic and non-committal. You say the error is "in your issue tracker"... does that mean you are actively working on a fix? Are we still at an investigative stage? Do you still consider the issue so localized that it is going to be a year before it gets to the top of the "fix it" list? Don't misunderstand me - I am not asking that this error get special treatment. If it warrants a year wait before a fix, so be it. I, and others like me, just want to know what is going on.

Unknowns like these are what prompt me to keep spreading the information and keep attempting to get more people to report the problem. As I mentioned, I do honestly wonder what would happen if I could get Mad Decent or Diplo or someone of that stature to acknowledge frustration with the issue. Bet you then it would be fixed very, very quickly.

I hope you guys are paying attention to the fact that this is a new issue. It popped up out of nowhere approximately one week before I made my first post here. That ought to give you a good idea of where to start looking for what broke your site.

You can take a single look at my activity from your end and see I have been following more or less 2,000 for about two years now. No problems (outside of one with Firefox, on their end), no delays, no timeouts, no hassles. Until five to six weeks ago.

I am just trying to help. I know I should have confidence in your troubleshooting skills, but... can you blame me? You didn't even test your last fix in regards to this error before you pushed it live.
🆒🆒🆒🆒🆒🆒🆒🆒:S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S
Userlevel 4
Badge
@rhythmicity-7794358 we did test before, but we were not able to reproduce the issue, and still can't. After scrolling a long way down the stream the UI starts to lag slightly, but it is still usable, and we are not seeing the mousedown error you mentioned, even on your test account.

I'm looking into if there is a way we can remotely take a look at you machine, to see exactly what you are experiencing.
Userlevel 4
Badge
@Rhythmicity we have another fix in the pipeline. Hopefully it will be deployed next week. I will update here when that happens.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hey fam,

I made this video earlier today to illustrate the issue, which I sent to Tom at his request, but I would like to include it here so every possible detail will be present in this thread.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-2i0aUUimkFa0dFc1ROWGlTcDA

Edit: I made a mistake in the video at about the 3:00 mark. The annotations should say "1000-2000ms", not "3000-4000ms". My bad =)

I had to sacrifice some quality for file size, but if you actually download the video rather than stream it, the quality (to me anyway) is a bit better, allowing you to see some of the smaller numbers.

I'm going to make a shorter video of how quickly the error can happen (versus taking 10 minutes to "fail", as above), and that one will be much better quality and no more than a minute or two long.
Thank you Rhythmicity for raising this in a great tech way... and all your awesome work towards fixing this! I'm not that tech oriented (yet) but tech enough to know basic trouble shooting, and found this thread (yay). I mostly listen to soundcloud on my iPad, and have often had issues with tracks taking a while to load (like up to 90 seconds), it's been worse in the last few weeks. Today has driven me to mixcloud. I can't play any track at all on my iPad, the little loading wheel just keeps spinning, so tried on my Samsung iPhone, it was dropping out every 20 - 30 seconds. Wondered if it was a network issue. Turned the router off, waited a bit, turned it back on. Same issues, won't play anything on my iPad still and keeps dropping out on the Samsung phone. Mix cloud is working perfectly (but there's no where near as many awesome people and mixes!!) That's great there's some tech wizzy enough staff trying to help fix this now.
Cheers, Entropy
Userlevel 4
Badge
Thank you Rhythmicity for raising this in a great tech way... Cheers, Entropy
Hi =)

You're quite welcome, and on that note, thanks so much for posting here. It's a shame, but if you take a look at some of the other support requests lingering around these forums, a lot of them get no response or update. I don't know if that's because the tech people went immediately to private messages with the poster (which is possible, but not a good choice; future site visitors wouldn't see any solution.) Or, was the person with the request completely ignored in the hopes they would either self-resolve or go away? I don't know.

Anyway, I think one of the main reasons we are being helped is because of the public response we have had. I got dismissed by Twitter and Email support, so this thread is basically it. And so, I thank you again for your support!

It's been a bit of a bumpy road on this one, but just a few hours ago SC had confirmed another fix is imminent (first one had no effect). So, hopefully this time next week the timeouts will be a thing of the past.

All the best,
Matt
Userlevel 4
Badge
@Rhythmicity we have deployed the other fix now, so if you refresh you should get it.
It seems to be working for me, Thank you!
Userlevel 4
Badge
@Rhythmicity we have deployed the other fix now, so if you refresh you should get it.
Indeed I did! Looks like you guys have fixed this one. I cannot get the browser to fail in any manner as I described before. Performance seems smooth, exactly as it was about six weeks ago.

Well, it's been an interesting six weeks. Thanks to all involved, both the users that came in to add support, and the devs who actually implemented the fix. Unfortunately, I must stand by what I said about SC's customer service practices. This entire thing would have taken two weeks instead of six, had there not been communication issues from the get-go.

But anyway, it's water under the bridge. Thanks again all. I consider this issue resolved, if the mods want to mark the thread as such. 🆒

All the best,
Matt Franco
Rhythmicity
https://soundcloud.com/rhythmicity
Sadly, it doesn't seem to be fixed for me. Still becomes laggy after playing a couple tracks in a row..
Userlevel 4
Badge
Sadly, it doesn't seem to be fixed for me. Still becomes laggy after playing a couple tracks in a row..
There are quite a few reasons why you might lag or have delays in playback. Fortunately, the particular error that this thread was discussing has definitely been fixed.

If you are getting the buffering sign between or during tracks ("..."), that's not this error and more likely a connectivity issue. Support will ask you to reboot your router and computer, and test again in a "safe mode" window (see below), so try that first, then create a new support thread for your problem and list your findings.

If you're not getting buffering, but instead getting an actual freeze of your browser (which is the problem we were having here), then we can see if the culprit is this error by opening a "safe mode" window:
  • Chrome: Ctrl+Shift+N
  • Firefox or Edge: Ctrl+Shift+P
Then, open the console in your browser by pressing F12, and do the following:
  • In Edge or Firefox, click the "Console" tab.
  • In Chrome, click "Default Levels", and select "Verbose".
3. Use SoundCloud until you get a delay, then look at the console. The error this thread discussed was producing Javascript timeouts ("mousedown handler", "click handler", etc.).

You can compare your console output to the various screenshots in this thread. I'm quite sure you won't be seeing a mousedown or click handler timeout, but you might want to take the information you do find and open a new thread on it. If by any chance you are seeing mousedown or click handler delays in excess of a couple hundred ms, let us know here.

All the best,
Matt
Hi, I know it's been a year but I hope I can get an answer here, otherwise I'll start a new thread.

I've been using Soundcloud for a couple months now, and I'm having the same problems.
But I saw on Rhythmicity's video that the browser is working normally, the only problem seems to be the buffering and the playback while in my case, after using SC for 5-10 minutes the browser itself is progressively slowing down, and it takes me 10 seconds to change a song or open a page. And then it just crashes altogether, no response or anything. So each time I have to open the page I'm on in a new tab, listen there for like 10 minutes and then do the same thing all over again.
Also, I've just started using SC, so it's not like I'm following 2000 artists, right now I'm at 130. And I'm not even going far on the stream, just listening to a playlist, or even a song.

I'm using Google Chrome on MacBook, so I tested around a bit, and I'm getting the same results in normal mode and incognito. When I'm logged out though, there is no problem. I've also tried Firefox and everything works fine there, logged in or not, but I really don't want to have to open 2 browsers just to listen to music, or log out in Chrome and then log back in if I want to like a song or follow someone.

It's really annoying, I've tried the same thing on a friend's computer, everything's fine.
Is it my computer, or its OS? Is there any solution to this?
Hi Rhythmicity,

Hmm, sorry to hear this has been an issue for you. We're not getting a lot of reports about this being an issue that's currently affecting a larger group of users. Just a thought - a) have you tried to turn off your router for a few minutes, then turn it on again, give it another few minutes to restart, then try again? Also, if your device is a laptop - any chance you could test this on a different network?

Let the community know how it went.

Cheers
Mathis

i have this too and it's been happening to me for an entire year so far, very annoying