Question

My name does not show when searched from another computer.

• 19 November 2014
  • 4 replies

I want people to be able to find me. My Artist/Display name happens to be "IS!!" Pretty different but thats what I want. As a URL I wanted that name as well, but SoundCloud did not like the exclamation points I assume. Anyway ,when I search my display name in SoundCloud from another computer it will not bring me up. Pretty Frustrating.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi,

Thanks for posting to the forum. If you search your permalink 'isisisis' then your account does show up. Our search algorithm looks at url over username first since we stopped using unique usernames on the platform.

Does that make sense?

-Gina
in the url the search engine is looking for the first letters and if so why a guy that don''t even have the word "brave" in his url is first in the result ...and i'm not even there myself in the 500 results with the word "bravedjmusic" as url....
ty gina
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
in the url the search engine is looking for the first letters and if so why a guy that don''t even have the word "brave" in his url is first in the result ...and i'm not even there myself in the 500 results with the word "bravedjmusic" as url....
ty gina

Hi -brave-,

Thanks for seeking further clarification. Our search relies on an algorithm called ‘Discoranking’ (which stands for “Discovery Ranking”) which returns the most popular results first. Discoranking pulls the search results based upon a variety of variables including the wording of your search and the popularity of profiles.

Each track and artist has a "DiscoRank" that is calculated by a wide variety of factors. These factors include, but are not limited to; the number of likes, reposts, and followers associated with specific tracks and accounts. Not only does the number of your own followers give you a higher DiscoRank-- we also consider how many followers your followers have and so on. The more “influential” the network of followers you are associated with, the higher your DiscoRank will be. As you can imagine, this network could go on forever!

All of these factors work together to give the most popular and relevant results for a search. For example, even if you input an exact Profile URL into search, there may be profiles which have a wider network of popularity which will rank higher than an exact word match.

It is important to note that an account’s Display Name is just one of many variables which affect your position within search results; your popularity remains the dominant factor in Discoranking algorithms.

Therefore, the fact that more than one account can now have the same Display Name will have no impact on search results.

I hope this allows you to understand the search results you're seeing more comprehensively.

Cheers
Mathis
ty gina

So in my case, i obviously have a higher DiscoRank than the other search results that pop up first when you search my DJ name in soundcloud, i show up as result number 8. What that could be?