Question

My profile picture/logo won't fit! HELP

I've been trying to size down/crop my logo I want to use for my profile picture, and it either only ends showing a fraction of the logo or completely warping it and making it blurry. How do I size down my logo to fit in the profile picture???

Help would be REALLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Steve

Here's the logo for the profile by the way:

Also, this as well for one of my tracks:

14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
I don't think I have seen anyone with artwork that isn't square. have you tried using a square image?
Unfortunately I don't have a good image editing program, and I cant seem to make the images more square without it getting really messed up. I know technically I would need to make the images just smaller overall, and then fit them into a square size/frame, but I don't know how to do that. Any tips ?
Userlevel 5
Badge
gimp is free for windows. preview on Mac can resize. if that fails, there's plent of free web based image editing sites. such as http://webresizer.com/resizer/
Thanks for the replies, but its still not working. Can you tell me EXACTLY what I need to do? I went to the resize/crop features and typed in 800 pixels x 800 pixels and its still not coming out right. I don't understand how to make a rectangular imagine fit into the 800x800 square frame in these image editors
When I go to upload the "edited" image to my soundcloud it just comes out more blurry and distorted then before, and still only shows a zoomed in version of it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong?
Problem solved! OKAY. To anyone out there that finds this and is having trouble with profile pictures as well, here's EXACTLY what you need to do. You need to have the option in your image editor (I downloaded Gimp) to first open up a 800 x 800 template. Then you can open your image WITHIN the template and resize it according to the desired dimensions. If its not within a template of your desired size, the cropping tool/scale won't be accurate = won't work.

I knew the image needed to be 800 pixels x 800 pixels, but you cant go about achieving that by just resizing the image itself and cropping it, it will be warped and/or cut off if you do. If you just type in those dimensions in Mac's preview editor on an image, nope doesn't work. Big NO NO. I don't know why Soundcloud and/or other sites say to do it this way.

I appreciate the help again though Dopelabs,

Take care y'all
Userlevel 6
Hi there,

Im no computer art expert so a "step by step" guide will be a little out of my depth & would depend on having an amount of knowledge using whatever program you are doing your art with. Certainly turning an oblong image into a square is always going to make the end result look rather odd because you are having to lose the "aspect ratio" and squashing everything from left to right

A basic possible quick fix I would suggest is to start out with a plain white square (or just get any square picture & completely fill it or paint it in white) at 800x800 and then paste or insert your logo & have it sitting in the middle of the square, centered from top to bottom & run it at close to the left to right sides as you want (i should imagine most art/pic editing software will allow you to load a new image to place over the picture you are editing). This shouldn't look too bad for you logo as its plain black text with white background, how well it will look for the tune art, only one way to find out on that, it may be worth trimming the sides of that art to make it a little squarer.

I hope that helps a little :)

Regards

DJ R.I.P
Userlevel 6
Problem solved! OKAY. To anyone out there that finds this and is having trouble with profile pictures as well, here's EXACTLY what you need to do. You need to have the option in your image editor (I downloaded Gimp) to first open up a 800 x 800 template. Then you can open your image WITHIN the template and resize it according to the desired dimensions. If its not within a template of your desired size, the cropping tool/scale won't be accurate = won't work.

I knew the image needed to be 800 pixels x 800 pixels, but you cant go about achieving that by just resizing the image itself and cropping it, it will be warped and/or cut off if you do. If you just type in those dimensions in Mac's preview editor on an image, nope doesn't work. Big NO NO. I don't know why Soundcloud and/or other sites say to do it this way.

Take care y'all

just my luck, took ages typing my own suggestion while watching tv at the same time, and you obviously come up with pretty much what I was typing..lol! teach me to take my time typing 🙂

Take care y'all

Haha no worries, yeah I guess I figured out the same way. I appreciate the reply though ~!
Userlevel 5
Badge

Take care y'all

yea sorry i didnt get back to you i had to leave for work... but it looks like you got it sorted 🙂

Take care y'all

Hey guys!

I made an updated template for facebook and soundcloud cover designs. To get one click on the link below. All I want in return for my time is a little follow on my sc page that will unlock the download for you. Thanks in advance.

https://www.toneden.io/itsjunker/post...
Hey guys!

I made an updated template for facebook and soundcloud cover designs. To get one click on the link below. All I want in return for my time is a little follow on my sc page that will unlock the download for you. Thanks in advance.

https://www.toneden.io/itsjunker/post...

Take care y'all

excuse me but i'm having the same problem and could someone please just answer the OP's question? it's obvious that he/she wants to know the MAXIMUM aka PERFECT PIXELATION for the avatar, and so do i. is there something about the website's use of the term "at least" which i (and maybe also the OP) am somehow misinterpreting? because i'm pretty sure what SoundCloud is saying, whether they mean to or not, is "it can't be any smaller than this pixelation, but no larger than 2mb". that statement borders on nonsense to me, those are two different parameters. can someone just please say what the maximum, "perfect" size is for a Soundcloud avatar, IN PIXELS? thank you in advance. i see people mention "500x500" here and "800x800" there, none of these are even close to what Soundcloud told me when I tried to upload my picture, the first number was over 2000 or something, then somewhere else i saw "1000x1000", well thats nice but it isnt the "2000ish-x-whatever" you told me before... i have been googling this for almost a couple of hours now and that is INSANE, this information s extremely forthcoming pretty much everywhere else; please someone just say the perfect PIXELATION size, please. thanks in advance.