Question

My "recommended" tracks are too much different from the music I do.

• 27 February 2015
  • 19 replies

Hi,
I have this problem. I make chill house/tropical house music but once I made EDM/Electro House tracks (until sept. 2014 circa). I read that the "recommended tracks" algorithm works on what other users listen, but even if I removed all my old Electro House tracks, the recommended part redirects to the same hard EDM tracks by months.
What can I do to have music that fits with my genre on the recommended?
Thank you,
Francesco

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hey there Francesco,

Thanks for posting about this. I'm sorry to hear that the recommended sounds don't fit too well for you right now. The tracks are selected by an algorithm that returns recommendations through a network of relations and interactions on SoundCloud (for example a user liked a track, a user followed another user, a track is reposted etc.). The recommendations for a track can be both directly or indirectly related to tracks in this network.

Unfortunately, there's not a way to remove recommended tracks from your individual sound's page at this time. Our developers are currently working on ways to improve the related sounds feature to be more relevant to your profile and uploaded sounds. I will go ahead and forward your concern about recommended tracks for our engineers to consider, as your interest in SoundCloud and your ability to use it properly is important to us.

I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience and understanding regarding this issue.

Cheers
Mathis
Userlevel 1
same, as with followers, it says based on plays, more like they chose the opposite to what i played. And all of these have tons of followers anyway, if they're popular i've already heard of them so its a bit pointless...why does soundcloud put the most played and followed first, when its more about discovery? benefits those who are already popular rather than letting those discover them, another system i suggest is maybe a 'quality' stat rather than popularity...that is something like likes and shares PER plays.
Userlevel 2
The "recommended tracks" feature definitely needs to be removed or at least the option to deactivate it. We have another thread open about this problem that's been on going for months now, even though they've marked it "solved." Soundcloud appears to be modeling their business strategy after Myspace and Digg. Doing their absolute best to lose their paying members.
Userlevel 1
I only hope its not the contemporary myspace, after it destroyed itself for good that it's modelling itself on, ten years when myspace was at the forefront i don't remember that kind of thing.

As for popularity i don't know if it is the spammers situation, a lot of these are bands that get radio play etc. would seem to have no reason to do this. massive attack and thievery corporation are on there now (That's also a rare occasion i kind of like them, but as i liked portishead and a few trip-hop artists, its very much likely i've heard of these very obvious ones and just not too bothered---this is the most correct prediction it have ever given as well)
I got to agree... please do something to stop it. The recommended tracks on my list, are *olds weird jazz-fusin wanna-be zappa-esque demos* that I used to intensively listen to because I landed the gig at the time. To be honest those demos are poorlu recorded and honestly, not my taste (I got out of this band real quick).
Now I got songs from that guy all over the place. Why would you recommend to me songs I alread listened to 'til my ear got bloody?!!!!
Good lord. Hopefully I'm not paying, hey.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled my playlist gets intrupted by someones elses music.

I made a playlist and it does play all the way through it links to someone elses soundcloud
Userlevel 1
Yikes. I hope they improve the recent changes!!! April 2015. Getting "recommended" tracks now, same on every new track of mine, and they all are unrelated to my music. The previous way was kind of boring but at least it made relevant recommended tracks.
I make and listen to EDM and dance-pop. Since a few days ago, SoundCloud started suggesting me an Arabic folk song, two Hawaiian music creators, and an acoustic waltz. I have never browsed anything except EDM and dance-pop on SoundCloud before.
Userlevel 1
Ok in recent days, the horrible recommended tracks have come back, along with xyzfollowers.xyz. Can't the soundcloud people realize that they are giving spammers tools to get worse and worse? Now the bots are controlling my recommended tracks.
Related or Recommended Tracks = ( _° __ _°)
It's obvious that the so-called "algorithm" is either very bad or just a joke : none of the " recommended/related tracks " coming right after my own tracks have anything in common with my music : my last upload is a Set with only 80's commercial pop songs and the "related tracks" are... underground tech House. On Youtube, not only you can stop the automatic play, but their algorithm is not a fake like the supposed SC one : when you listen to an artist ( for ex> Lady Gaga), the related tracks on the right column are 90% fine (ie Lady Gaga). Whereas on SC, it's just a hoax> Anyway, I am not listening to Soundcloud anymore. They are just treating the users like sh...
If this 'algorithm' is the best they can do, then they must be desperate. Whichever of my tracks plays it's always the same, awful, 'recommended' track that follows on. Recommended by a moron. Look at the Genius feature on iTunes - that works. For a music site Soundcloud seems to have no idea about music.
Userlevel 5
If this 'algorithm' is the best they can do, then they must be desperate. Whichever of my tracks plays it's always the same, awful, 'recommended' track that follows on. Recommended by a moron. Look at the Genius feature on iTunes - that works. For a music site Soundcloud seems to have no idea about music.
Yet another reason to make autoplay optional.
For themHey there Francesco,

The tracks are selected by an algorithm that returns recommendations through a network of relations and interactions on SoundCloud (for example a user liked a track, a user followed another user, a track is reposted etc.). The recommendations for a track can be both directly or indirectly related to tracks in this network.

Mathis

The algorithm you describe sounds more like a random thing. Or your algorithm has a very unsynced rithm 🆒

Let me demonstrate that is no algorithm whatsoever by asking a simple question:

If I would delete all my likes, followers,comments, everything, would that reset or change my related tracks?

Thank you!
been years and this still hasn't been fixed. came here because my trap songs are being followed by some really badly mixed progressive house/bigroom? which is just so weird.
been years and this still hasn't been fixed. came here because my trap songs are being followed by some really badly mixed progressive house/bigroom? which is just so weird.

Well, I have a motorcycle sound as a related track. YES, A MOTOR FUCKING CYCLE sound from a radio talk. And then the stupid worse mixed sound ever heard.

I saw that other artists don't have this problem. The related tracks are relevant to their content.
I also asked Soundcloud HOW this algorithm of their work. Who is the factor that changes the related track? ME or the LISTENERS? My tracks that I listen to and like or repost or the tracks that the people are liking and listening to and whatever that also like and listen to my tracks ?!?!?!
I am so confused that I start asking stupid questions like this.
I also have this problem, I make trap now but I still get TV show theme recreations in "similar tracks" and the vibes don't mix
Similar to earlier posting of "Related Tracks":

Programmer here. Email to me and I'm happy to remove Related Tracks free of service! This "feature" is easy to fix, just delete it. The presence of a non-amenable "Related Tracks" smacks of a random algorithm and / or internal power-play judgements of what constitutes worthy music - a sign of immature leadership.

This evening, a cartoon with the face of number 45 is the next play after a tribute to an endeared teacher and mentor in "Inquisitive Discovery, A Reflecting Sunset". In the morning, I was talking with my son describing a switch from Google Play to Soundcloud.

Seriously, "say something, i'm giving up on you ...". I've trusted Soundcloud and today received funds to actually begin a paid membership. If you want only master's posting songs, there are plenty of cemeteries to choose from (hmm well... they are likely unable to subscribe, at least temporally) to which by the way Bach in his time played "too many notes". Zero-judgement and self-guided simulated annealing paths are optimum.

Ya, it's your candy-store (a Walter Cronkite quote) but it's my experience.
4 years past and Soundcloud developer did nothing related this complaint. Obviously they won't do.