Question

No more equalized volume?

• 3 April 2015
  • 8 replies

Hello, I am running Windows 8.1, on Firefox 36.0.4.

Ever since the new "flat" design took hold about a couple days ago, the volume of the songs is all out of wack. Ill be listening to a song at a decent volume, and then when the song changes, the next song will either be blasting loud, or really quiet. Keep in mind the volume control is still at the same volume. It doesnt matter where the volume slider is, the next song can either be loud or quiet. I have not changed anything about my setup or audio drivers, and the same thing is happening on my laptop. This very much annoys me because when Im lets say, playing a video game, and I'm listening to music, and then Ill have to exit the game and risk crashing it because the next song literally blasts my headphones, and hurts my ears. There used to be almost sort of a "Loudness" equalization, before the update. All song would be increased in volume, or decreased, to stay the same volume relative to the volume slider. I would very much like some help on why this is happening, or if this is going to be like this forever. thanks in advance.

8 replies

I'd like to know about this too. I wanted to listen to speech tracks as I'm falling asleep (meditation) but some of the tracks have low volume recordings or static noise so it's slightly more difficult to hear the speaker, and some are clearer and louder. If I set the volume high enough to barely hear the quiet tracks, the louder tracks startle me when they come on. If there was a setting to normalize the volume across all tracks that would be great.
Is volume normalization available now? or anytime soon?
I hate the fact that I need to change the volume constantly upon song change

Best,
-J-
Userlevel 1
I also just found this happening to me today 26/03/2018 - been using soundcloud everyday for past 5 years, this is a really annoying update, please fix it or show me how to fix it in settings if possible.

thanks

T R O L
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there EXO,

Thank you for posting. The design changes didn't have any impact on our audio engine actually. Thus, I'd recommend to start with our basic troubleshooting steps outlined here to see if this helps already.

Also, I will go ahead and forward your query about normalisation to the relevant product team.

Hope this helps already! If you have further questions, please let us know and we'll take another look together.

Cheers
Mathis
This is happening with me too...Haven't touched any settings recently.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
This is happening with me too...Haven't touched any settings recently.
Hi there,

Just to clarify, we haven't changed how tracks play back on SoundCloud - there has never been normalisation, and it is up to the mixing / mastering of the track that a creator uploads how loud the track will sound when streamed.

I will make sure to forward your feedback to our product team. However, I recommend to send us an email with your feedback and / or feature requests. Please review this convo to learn how to best forward this at this time.

Cheers
Mathis
I also just found this happening to me today 26/03/2018 - been using soundcloud everyday for past 5 years, this is a really annoying update, please fix it or show me how to fix it in settings if possible.

thanks

T R O L

I'm also getting this and its driving me insane having to lower my volume every song
Userlevel 4
Badge
The volume resetting should be fixed now. Please refresh or restart your browser. Thanks