Question

not available in canada ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

why in this last week are thing becoming not available in canada THIS IS STUPID whats the point of soundcloud when it wont allow you to listen to things

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi,

Any creator can chose to limit the availability of their own content.

-Gina
Userlevel 1
I feel your frustration H3RO. In the past couple of weeks, many of the songs in playlist that have been available for years, are suddenly no available to fellow Canadians.
Not sure what kind of changes Soundcloud is up too, but I don't see how this is a bright business idea.

But, I do have a temporary solution for you H3RO. You can get around this by using TunnelBear, or adding TunnelBear to your Chrome browser. It will set your IP to the US, or any other country for that matter.
Just be aware that the free version is limited to 500mb per month.

If anyone else has another free option for fixing Soundcloud's poor business decision, let us Canadians know.

Cheers!

And a big two thumbs up to you Soundcloud execs
I've also noticed this. Came out of nowhere. Most of the affected tracks are stuff from professional artists, not so much small amateur ones. Big time BS. Canada always gets the shaft
Userlevel 1
I see where this is all coming from. It is part of Soundcloud's decision to move from a free service to a subscription service with "Soundcloud Go".
Which to no surprise is getting a lot of backlash, the following quote is from an article:

"Users have been quick to point out that Soundcloud has been providing a service nearly on par with Spotify and Apple Music for years with no cost to listeners. While this is a valid point, Soundcloud has completely betrayed the trust of listeners with the aforementioned geolocks and preview limitations. Even some creators are taking note, and they’re not happy"

You may read more at: http://www.youredm.com/2016/03/31/people-already-fighting-soundclouds-new-changes/

Should be interesting to see how this will pan out. And what new companies or startups well rise to fill this space.
I understand your frustration as well, being a Canadian myself. I just found out and it definitely may be a poor decision on the artists or Soundcloud's part. Since having found out, I've removed any and all blocked songs from my likes, which is a shame since I had to remove all the songs by two of my most favorite duos. I just don't understand why an artist would limit their audience rather than aiming to create more fans worldwide.

Spotify isn't available to Canadians and I really hate to see Soundcloud going in that similar direction.
I've also noticed this. Came out of nowhere. Most of the affected tracks are stuff from professional artists, not so much small amateur ones. Big time BS. Canada always gets the shaft
ugh it's so true... so much frustration!
This is not about creator's limiting availability, it is about the new service. And since Soundcloud Go is only rolled out in the US, all other countries now find alot of tracks are suddenly unavailable. I'm surprised a moderator does not know this.
I understand your frustration as well, being a Canadian myself. I just found out and it definitely may be a poor decision on the artists or Soundcloud's part. Since having found out, I've removed any and all blocked songs from my likes, which is a shame since I had to remove all the songs by two of my most favorite duos. I just don't understand why an artist would limit their audience rather than aiming to create more fans worldwide.

Spotify isn't available to Canadians and I really hate to see Soundcloud going in that similar direction.

yeah tottally
Hi,

-Gina

That is fine, but they should only be able to do that to people who haven't added the song to a play list or liked it BEFORE they decided to make it a preview/not avail. Why is it fair that they get my like count and a repost for a song I can't even play?? Super annoying and frustrating.
So they get to use us for likes/re-posts and once they "make it" they strip access from playing songs. Bad design move SoundCloud. Make them set restrictions when they upload the song to begin with.
This seems to be a filter of some kind.
I just noticed it with one of my own productions for the empire theatre (Belleville Ontario) for when Danny Fernandez played it. The file name was called, "dannyfernandes".
"Not available in Canada" to people I'd sent it to when it first ran on the air. I just changed the file name (in Soundcloud, under basic info) to "dfern" and those people can now listen again.
I discovered this problem only last week after using Soundcloud for roughly 10 months mostly at my work. I then tried to play tracks from my playlist at home and found most of them were 30 second previews. I tried to wrap my head around what was going on and realized that the Internet connection I use at work goes through an American provider whereas my WiFi at home goes over my local Canadian ISP.

Solution: Connect to a US-based Internet proxy service or VPN (i.e. Unblock-Us) or change your Domain Name Server (DNS) address to a US provider.
I am in Canada, I just uploaded MY OWN tracks and I can not hear them!!! This is sooo ridiculous!!!!
Hi,

-Gina

I never seen that option. I don't see the point in that too. The reason you upload a song is to be heard. This is just not a good move on the artist part. If it is them doing this.
I think everyone is pretty disappointed by this. I've been a pro soundcloud user since the beginning, and I'm about to end my relationship with soundcloud over this exclusionary action. pretty sad.
Hi,

-Gina

Yeah, it's against the spirit of globalization and unity. It's discrimination ! And it only pisses off the fans that an artist would do such a thing.