Question

Playback buffers / stutters on waveform player, but NOT on bottom player strip

I've noticed a new problem with Soundcloud that started within the past month or two, and I've been using Soundcloud for years, almost from the beginning I believe.

I'm getting a bad stuttering when I click on the waveform players for tracks. It sounds like a buffering issue where the track is not downloading fast enough to track the clicks I make on the waveform - whereas historically, I've never had this problem with the site. One of the pluses of SC is that the tracking was always fast enough to scan through tracks to get a feel for whether I like it or not.

The longer the track is - a full DJ set for instance - the worse the problem is, which made me think that it was a buffering issue, that the sets were no longer downloading fast enough to keep up.

However - tonite I tested to see whether I had the same problem when I used the player strip that is on the *bottom* of the page .. and I do not. When I use the strip on the bottom of the track to scan through the track, there is no buffering issue and no stuttering, even on long DJ sets.

Note that I do not have any real multimedia problems with other sites of this nature, using the same laptop, same browser, same everything. Just SC. Just recently. And ONLY with the waveform player.

Relevant system specs:

- Win 10
- Firefox 41.0.1

15 replies

Having the same problem, looks like it might just be firefox though, tried on pale moon and no problems.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Josh,

Thanks for reporting this and providing such detailed infos. Interestingly, we have another convo going on right now here, where a multitude of users are experiencing similar issues when they skip through the tracks, especially longer tracks.

These issues have been reported to the engineering team, however we haven't heard back from them so far, and we also weren't able to reproduce the issue from over here in the way the users explained them.

The bottom player might be a good workaround, and also a good factor for our engineers to isolate the issue further.

Cheers,
Mathis
Agree! But i've the issue on the "strip player" and with shorter tracks as well (Firefox41.0.1). Tried it with IE11.0.9: No Problems.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Agree! But i've the issue on the "strip player" and with shorter tracks as well (Firefox41.0.1). Tried it with IE11.0.9: No Problems.
Hey TreasureHunter,

Any chance you're running extensions in your browser such as Adblock or HTTPS Everywhere? If so, please try disabling these, restart your Firefox, then try again.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers
Mathis
Thanks for the prompt reply .. No, no add blockers or other plugins that might interfere with the stream that I can see here.

In Firefox Dev Tools Network tab the server ec-media.sndcdn.com shows some high download times, as high as 32000ms. I don't know what you consider normal for that metric.

(eh, just noticed you were asking treasurehunter but yeah .. )
I now can also add that I tested this in Microsoft Edge and the problem is not there. The tracks and especially the longer DJ sets scan smoothly with no stuttering. FYI
Same same! Disabled all(!) ad ons: still jittering.
I now can also add that I tested this in Microsoft Edge and the problem is not there. The tracks and especially the longer DJ sets scan smoothly with no stuttering. FYI
EDIT: And just to make sure we're clear, this doesn't solve the issue. Firefox is my main browser. I do not use and don't plan to use Edge
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thanks for the follow up Josh,

Sure thing this is a work around for the moment being, and also a matter to isolate the issue further.

If you can please take a screenshot of what the console is saying when you're reproducing the issue and attach it here so we can forward it to our engineers.

Thanks for the help & continuous follow up.

Cheers
Mathis
Hey is there solution for the problem? Actually SC works quite nice and smooth with Firefox.

Edit:
Umm.. No.. After a Play-Pause-Play it happens again. But the stuttering was shorter than the last times.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Just checking in - after some investigation, it appears that playback issues might have been rooted on the browsers' end. Since the issue was originally posted, the developers of the browser have provided updates. Currently, it looks like this caused new issues for Safari users, however Chrome and Firefox users should be all set.

If this is not the case, please let us know.

Cheers
Mathis
Hablo español, pero es cierto stutters al reproducir, como en segundo 6-7, ahora estoy usando firefox 45.0.1, como si se produjeran en el cache un retrazo o salto, uso flash 21.0.0.197, en la version 44 de firefoz ear menos notable pero con esta es terrible, menos evidente en el modo botton pero pasa. lo he probado en win 10 y win xp
Hablo español, pero es cierto stutters al reproducir, como en segundo 6-7, ahora estoy usando firefox 45.0.1, como si se produjeran en el cache un retrazo o salto, uso flash 21.0.0.197, en la version 44 de firefoz ear menos notable pero con esta es terrible, menos evidente en el modo botton pero pasa. lo he probado en win 10 y win xp
despues de intalar la versión 43.0.1 de firefox he probado varias veces y hasta ahora no sucede, al parecer problema de este navegador, en chrome no pasa.
Userlevel 5
getting this issue all the time,it just seems this place is getting worse by the week,going downhilldotcom!
Userlevel 5
bufering dot dot dot buffering dot com