Playback pauses randomly up to 500ms on Safari

• 29 April 2017
  • 8 replies

Something that bugs me a lot are the random stops that occur while playing a track. They are quite short, on average a quarter second. But they are very noticeable when listening on high volume.
I have a 50 MBit/s internet connection so I doubt that there is a network problem.
Lately I did a test where I let my phone (SoundCloud app) and my laptop (Safari) playback the same track.
I started both at the same time and after just 15 minutes the laptop lagged behind by about 12 seconds because of the random pauses.

It's a bit hard to find the source of error when it occurs randomly but I think the pauses occur when the playback buffer is empty.
If anybody knows how to make the playback load data more aggressive, please tell me.

Also, does anybody else have the same problem?

8 replies

I have the same problem and would like to see it resolved.
Got the same problem - small glitches of sound most noticeable while playing a mix. This issue persists only in Safari v.10.1(12603.1.30.0.34), no issues in Chrome v.57.0.2987.133 on the same tracks.

Running both browsers on macOS Sierra v.10.12.4.

This bug is really annoying, I prefer to use safari because of ability to control playback with touch bar, but ending up listening SoundCloud in Chrome :/
Is there any needed information I could provide to fix this issue?
I feel like the lag occurs more frequently when the window isn't in the foreground. Maybe this has something to do with App Nap, a macOS technology that throttles down CPU activity when the tab / window isn't visible.

More interestingly, I've left the Safari dev console running and I found this out:

Every time the lag occurs, the Server responds with a 403 Forbidden HTTP Status.
Here's how I interpret this:
- The player is about to run out of buffered audio
- The player requests more audio so that it can keep playing
- The server returns 403 Forbidden and doesn't provide audio
- The player has no buffered audio left -> it plays nothing and requests more audio again
- The server finally sends 200 OK and sends more audio
- The player plays again

All of this happens in under 500ms.

This is an example what Safari logged:

https://cf-hls-media.sndcdn.com/media/3033128/3192788/F0WLLazhF31T.128.mp3?Policy=eyJTdGF0ZW1lbnQiOlt7IlJlc291cmNlIjoiKjovL2NmLWhscy1tZWRpYS5zbmRjZG4uY29tL21lZGlhLyovKi9GMFdMTGF6aEYzMVQuMTI4Lm1wMyIsIkNvbmRpdGlvbiI6eyJEYXRlTGVzc1RoYW4iOnsiQVdTOkVwb2NoVGltZSI6MTQ5NDc3MTY3N319fV19&Signature=z0F2~6qKGHHn9s~TUtyzvLsl8SuBXU5XhlT5Op8Vc37x4EPhnhpCC9wZgvN5jAIhrUErrG91xMF1kId605idNwz-I2Z~b5B19zIG5pav3Z-UioF9dCxroVSPJChpCWboAQVMz0H72~mjwJgpwmrMIcvPuLVpXBNEJKOEl0JUGugn2hhDBzx-eekAJ53dkl5Ftkauww08qh~t2hbFC12QPmkaAUBIcaKDnxLTVGbALpUwpEw3q4AfgyF3~SU1KsQ~dLOn3KgX8p6yX0u7X3hQ31NejGNai5IVzMbyVUg-tE29Jq2Fn3I14po1t04Z4mJLkvjkG8oq140QAor3dHqfkQ__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJAGZ7VMH2PFPW6UQ

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden)
Same problem here and can support your analysis terorie - it happens less frequent if safari is in the foreground and is the active page.

Tried to play a continuous mix on Youtube using Safari - no pauses even though it was in the background on a non-active page for 1h:35m. So the issue must be the soundcloud/safari combo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
HI everyone,

Has anyone of you tried any troubleshooting steps yet?

1. Clear your browser's cache and cookies (http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/home/), close the browser window, and open a new one

Next, please follow these steps:
  • If you've installed any plugins (AdBlock, Flashblock, Hola VPN, HTTPS everywhere, VLC Web plugin) on your browser, please disable them, as this may help. Plugins can often block SoundCloud from working properly. Additionally, please disable or allow for an exemption on any pop up blocker, firewall, or antivirus on your computer.
  • In the event that you are still experiencing difficulties, you may also want to try a different browser (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) to see if the issue continues. This way we can confirm whether or not this is a local issue on your browser.

Let the community members know how this went / what you were able to observe.

Cheers
Mathis
I have the same problem. It's not a cache / cookie issue, since I've had this across several devices, always on Safari with MacOS.
All browser plugins are disabled also.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Please can you let us know if this is still an issue, and also the version of safari you are using, from Safari > About Safari ?
I haven't had this issue lately, I forgot to keep the thread updated. I am still using Safari with the same plugins.

So I guess this is resolved?