Question

Please Fix Search

• 18 March 2015
  • 5 replies

Soundcloud has just the worst search engine, please do something about it. I can search for a song by its exact name and have no results anywhere close to what I typed, like none of the words match. From now on if I want to search for something I'll google the name and add soundcloud to the end because im sick of these bizarre results.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hey there,

Thanks for posting about this on the forum. I'll try to explain how our search currently works. Our search relies on an algorithm called ‘Discoranking’ (which stands for “Discovery Ranking”) which returns the most popular results first. Discoranking pulls the search results based upon a variety of variables including the wording of your search and the popularity of profiles.

Each track and artist has a "DiscoRank" that is calculated by a wide variety of factors. These factors include, but are not limited to; the number of likes, reposts, and followers associated with specific tracks and accounts. Not only does the number of your own followers give you a higher DiscoRank-- we also consider how many followers your followers have and so on. The more “influential” the network of followers you are associated with, the higher your DiscoRank will be. As you can imagine, this network could go on forever!

All of these factors work together to give the most popular and relevant results for a search. For example, even if you input an exact Profile URL into search, there may be profiles which have a wider network of popularity which will rank higher than an exact word match.

It is important to note that an account’s Display Name is just one of many variables which affect your position within search results; your popularity remains the dominant factor in Discoranking algorithms.

Therefore, the fact that more than one account can now have the same Display Name will have no impact on search results.

I hope this allows you to understand the search results you're seeing more comprehensively.

All the best,
Mathis
Hey there,

Thanks for posting about this on the forum. I'll try to explain how our search currently works. Our search relies on an algorithm called ‘Discoranking’ (which stands for “Discovery Ranking”) which returns the most popular results first. Discoranking pulls the search results based upon a variety of variables including the wording of your search and the popularity of profiles.

Each track and artist has a "DiscoRank" that is calculated by a wide variety of factors. These factors include, but are not limited to; the number of likes, reposts, and followers associated with specific tracks and accounts. Not only does the number of your own followers give you a higher DiscoRank-- we also consider how many followers your followers have and so on. The more “influential” the network of followers you are associated with, the higher your DiscoRank will be. As you can imagine, this network could go on forever!

All of these factors work together to give the most popular and relevant results for a search. For example, even if you input an exact Profile URL into search, there may be profiles which have a wider network of popularity which will rank higher than an exact word match.

It is important to note that an account’s Display Name is just one of many variables which affect your position within search results; your popularity remains the dominant factor in Discoranking algorithms.

Therefore, the fact that more than one account can now have the same Display Name will have no impact on search results.

I hope this allows you to understand the search results you're seeing more comprehensively.

All the best,
Mathis

Well the problem there is that when someone tries to search for a song that they have previously liked or reposted, they wont be able to easily find it. There should be a function to search through the likes playlist, or any other playlist
Hey there,

All the best,
Mathis

Quotations should be implemented to allow the user to search for exactly word-for-word the song title or artist they are looking for.

Except that would totally fuck Soundcloud's future ad revenue. _sian I____, they're not going to listen to you. SC has gone 100% corporate and does not give a shit about it's userbase anymore.
Hey there,

All the best,
Mathis

I think your 'Discoranking' system is unfair and totally biased towards popular artists!! Why don't you make this fair to everyone and return songs/artists based on exact search matches? You are basically keeping the underdogs down and increasing the gap between the music elite such as Guetta and Avicci etc and the rest of the users.
Hey there,

All the best,
Mathis

The way your search engine works, it has created a whole underworld of fake accounts, fake hits and fake representation of what people are actually liking and following. I had 4 accounts follow me within 2 hours, all created by the same person and touting his own tracks.

Maybe SoundCloud doesn't care about being fair? Maybe there are all kinds of 'Benefits' that SC gets from this biased system?