Answered

positioning artwork

• Tour manager*
  • 13 replies
We need to be able to reposition artwork in the visual players. The song artwork is square so we tend to put imagery in the center but the visual players are rectangular. Obviously, I don't have to tell you the problems this brings visually. Any artwork that's centered now gets aligned to the bottom and looks horrible. we need to be able to move and maybe even scale artwork for this. until this is addressed, I still can't use the visual players. Frankly, this is something that needs to happen. thanks!
icon

Best answer by SoundCloud Community Support 22 January 2015, 14:42

Hello everyone,

Track pages on SoundCloud are now being updated. Taking into account the feedback you had provided including this conversation, the track artwork now maintains square properties. Also, the track description now appears underneath the waveform and is thus more prevalent to the listener again.

We highly appreciate each individual contribution to the above conversation.

Cheers,
The SoundCloud Support Team
View original

59 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi,

Thanks for sharing your concern about the artwork. We haven't had too many requests for this particular change however we will keep an eye on this. If this grows into a consistent request then we can take it into consideration for future updates.

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Cheers,
Gina
ok. so scaling. if that's the case, can you ell me the exact dimensions i should scale the art before hand so that when the visual player is no upscaling the image? I've tried a bunch of sizes. Even when I have a width of 880 (the playlist player with a width of 100%) it still upscales the image and looks pixelated. Thanks for your time.
Hi,

Thanks for sharing your concern about the artwork. We haven't had too many requests for this particular change however we will keep an eye on this. If this grows into a consistent request then we can take it into consideration for future updates.

Cheers,
Gina

+1 on this concern. we upload all our programs as playlists, and each program has its own visual... on the resized photo, nothing is visible, neither the picture, nor the logos that we have to have on the visual images... the playlist has become ugly 😞. Please Gina, help us 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi,

Here's an update for you two and anyone else curious about this 🙂. We've had some discussions with the web team surrounding square artwork being blurred or cropped in the rectangular area on track pages and visual players and looks like this is definitely a vibe in user feedback so they are looking into solutions!

In the meantime, we will continue to scale the image you use up from 500 px so uploading the highest quality image you can will make your images look good and even better in the future.

Hope this helps and thanks again for voicing these concerns.

Cheers,
Gina
Excellent! I won't bother changing anything right now. I'll wait until a solution is released and then update all my cover art. It's really cool that you all are so on point. much appreciated. FOR REAL.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Some new annoying features.

I think 'track info' is the most important info an artists could tell you about their work so I don't understand why it is now located on upper right corner where you can hardly see it. Also when you click 'read more' a new window popups and that makes reading and following tracks very hard. You know when you wanna listen different parts of the mix and also see the tracklist at the same time.

Transparent waveform over the huge picture makes it sometime difficult to see comments and also kinda distracts eyes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi all,

I merged these conversations because these concerns (image cropping and hidden track info) are the two major concerns being voiced after our track page layout change. As mentioned before, the web team is looking into how this can be improved. To give you all realistic expectations, this unfortunately won't be an overnight change. The team will take into consideration all user feedback/ suggestions and then move forward with what solution makes most sense and is doable. Following, the proposed solution(s) will need to be built, tested and then finally implemented publicly.

Thanks again for all the input, it's awesome to have this interaction with you all. I will try my best to update this thread as progress is made.

As always, please let me know if you have any further questions. :)

Best,
Gina
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Some new annoying features.

I think 'track info' is the most important info an artists could tell you about their work so I don't understand why it is now located on upper right corner where you can hardly see it. Also when you click 'read more' a new window popups and that makes reading and following tracks very hard. You know when you wanna listen different parts of the mix and also see the tracklist at the same time.

Transparent waveform over the huge picture makes it sometime difficult to see comments and also kinda distracts eyes.

Ux design is tricky. It almost demands user feedback before the design can go forward or backwards. I agree though, it's wierd how info is being decoupled from the player. It almost feels like the team is making changes for the sake of change. Then again, they might have reasons for doing this that have not been revealed yet. Personally, I think the player is the most important piece of soundcloud. Breaking it apart seems ill advised.
Hi,

Cheers,
Gina

Gina, I am speaking up and asking Soundcloud to provide different sizes and shapes for the player. It would be nice to have options since every website has different layouts and I would like to have a smaller player, perhaps one with no image, one square, etc. to match the layout of my website. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi,

Cheers,
Gina

Hi,

Thanks for contributing to this conversation. May I recommend that you express this feature request in our contact form? The reason I ask is because the convo here focuses on the recent change made to the track view page on SoundCloud.com. Your request is absolutely related however also touches upon a greater general request to introduce new players to embed elsewhere.

To give you more information on feature requests, we collect and count all requests that come in through our contact form (there's a 'Subject' drop down menu with an option for 'Feature Request'). The top requests are then forwarded onto the relevant teams.

Again, I appreciate your participation in the forum but I also want to make sure your request goes where it counts most.

Let me know if you have any further questions :)

-Gina
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Update 🙂

Just heard one of the proposed solutions, i'll try my best to describe. Imagine the track page as is with the increased rectangular image that not too many are fans of. Now what if that got blurred a bit and on top was the same square artwork/image that was attached to the track. This would go to the right of the rectangle and to the left a text overlay would go with the track info. Super long track info would end with 'Read More.' Info on upload date and one tag would also appear. The waveform would then go under the rectangle.

This addresses keeping the integrity of the square image and also bringing to focus the track info.

Can you picture it? Thoughts?

-G
I would really have to see a mockup. It sounds busy and overly complicated honestly. What happenes when we embed players with different dimensions elsewhere? It will end up looking crazy.

On the other hand, if soundcloud support png's with transparency, a square overlay could be real cool.

I still think your best bet is moving and scaling. Or, separate artwork for the player and album icon.
Update 🙂

Just heard one of the proposed solutions, i'll try my best to describe. Imagine the track page as is with the increased rectangular image that not too many are fans of. Now what if that got blurred a bit and on top was the same square artwork/image that was attached to the track. This would go to the right of the rectangle and to the left a text overlay would go with the track info. Super long track info would end with 'Read More.' Info on upload date and one tag would also appear. The waveform would then go under the rectangle.

This addresses keeping the integrity of the square image and also bringing to focus the track info.

-G

Or, you could make he player the application. Text boxes over the artwork as well as a logo placement overlay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Update 🙂

-G

That's the idea-ish. Sorry but I cant share the mock up 😞. Also, just to clarify this is only for the track view page not for embedded players.

-G
Update 🙂

-G

To bad to don't have nda's for stuff like this. this is one area of testing that as a user, I can contribute.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Tracks Art-Covers, partially opened when we try to watch them?.

Since couple of weeks Soundcloud did again something that we dont get, Once again we can see that all those engeneers are not artist or labels..

Did you noted that when now we want to watch the artcover of a track we cannot see it?? It does not show up as before?

Soundcloud, what is the point for us to make beautifull art-covers if they can't be watched???

The artcover is cutted up and down... Bravo...

If you dont know what I am talking about have a look on the picture.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Moutarde,

This thread is directly related to your post, you'll read that we are fixing this at the moment. Again, feel free to browse past conversations before posting.

Best,
Gina
Update 🙂

-G

I'm running a radio skills workshop and what comes to our radio reportages published on SoundCloud the most important things is the track info. It should be readable immediately when one opens the track (as it used to be). Thus I definately vote for the proposition where the track info is shown right under or partly over the image.

Or, why not give the profile owner an option to select whether in his/her tracks the picture is more dominant or the text? Two layouts to choose from.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Update 🙂

-G

Hi WYC,

Thanks for adding your vote and use case in this thread. We have continued to receive several emails over the track page change. I hope you can appreciate that we are doing our best to take it all into consideration before we move on with another change. I will definitely communicate this to the team.

For yourself and everyone else who has contributed here, I have to set an honest expectation and let you know that this is going to take longer than we had anticipated because of the volume of feedback we're still getting. The last thing we want to do is make a quick change and then be in need of a solution again.

Please know your efforts to raise concerns are not in vain. We're listening and communicating these concerns.

Thanks again for being part of the community,
-Gina
He Gina,
Have been reading through this thread and was wondering if there are any updates to these issues. I saw a remark stating that if you upload high quality images, the images would not become pixalated. I have tried to attach almost every kind of image in high res that i have and all become ugly and pixalated. Also when i browse through my stream there seems to be no users who have high quality images on their tracks.
I would agree with the other users that the following items be fixed as soon as possible :

- artwork low quality pixalated problem
- option to move and position artwork
- track info below track instead of hidden in the corner
- or option to upload both square images for feed and rectangle for player + page itself.
I look forward to your feedback and hope this will be fixed as soon as possible.

Best,

Unders
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
He Gina,
Have been reading through this thread and was wondering if there are any updates to these issues. I saw a remark stating that if you upload high quality images, the images would not become pixalated. I have tried to attach almost every kind of image in high res that i have and all become ugly and pixalated. Also when i browse through my stream there seems to be no users who have high quality images on their tracks.
I would agree with the other users that the following items be fixed as soon as possible :

- artwork low quality pixalated problem
- option to move and position artwork
- track info below track instead of hidden in the corner
- or option to upload both square images for feed and rectangle for player + page itself.
I look forward to your feedback and hope this will be fixed as soon as possible.

Best,

Unders

Hey Unders,

Thanks for your feedback and for reading through the thread. As I commented above the change to this layout resulted in a lot of user suggestions. We're not taking the next steps lightly, we want to make sure we take into consideration all emails, tweets, and forum posts before we make a change. I don't have an update other than we are trying to come up with the best possible solution given the feedback we've received.

Please don't think that this is going unnoticed or that we don't care. While we can't guarantee that every single user will be happy with any change, we want to do everything possible to make sure the next update doesn't have the same overwhelming negative response.

Thanks again for your words. I will be sure to share them with the team.

Cheers,
Gina
Hi,
Had a hard time finding the track-info. I had uploaded a new track yesterday and added some description and track-list to the track-info section. I verified that it looked fine when clicking the track-info and the full track-list was shown in the popup.
But today the track-description is gone. That includes the description and the track-list. The track-info section is empty. So somehow all the text I entered yesterday has been deleted.
That looks like a bug.
Could you please look into this?

All the best
Spotless Mind
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi,
Had a hard time finding the track-info. I had uploaded a new track yesterday and added some description and track-list to the track-info section. I verified that it looked fine when clicking the track-info and the full track-list was shown in the popup.
But today the track-description is gone. That includes the description and the track-list. The track-info section is empty. So somehow all the text I entered yesterday has been deleted.
That looks like a bug.

All the best
Spotless Mind

Hi Spotless Mind,

I believe you're referring to the track "Spotless Psy & Trance Mix 11-14", correct? I've looked into this and indeed don't see any description text. I currently cannot see anything obvious that could have overwritten your description, but I'll continue to investigate what might have been the root cause to this. Apologies about the inconvenience.

Can you try to enter the description again (maybe a shorter version, or a text of which you have a backup) to see if it disappears again? We haven't received any further reports by other users, so the issue you're experience appears to be unique to your account or your track.

Hope we can help out soon!

Cheers,
Mathis
Hi,
That looks like a bug.

All the best
Spotless Mind

Hi Mathis,
Thanks for your quick reply. Yes thats the track I uploaded.
I have added the track description and tracklist again, and will monitor it 24/7 and let you know if it disappears again :-)
Hopefully it stays this time!

All the best
Spotless Mind
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi,
That looks like a bug.

All the best
Spotless Mind

Thanks for the heads up! I sure hope the same, but do let me know should this happen again.

Cheers,
Mathis