Question

Repeating Notifications

• 19 November 2015
  • 25 replies

Userlevel 2
Hello Gina and Mathis,

I am a Soundcloud Pro user having an issue where notifications I have already viewed are showing up again. For example, my notifications tray will have the orange circle and I'll expand it to find that "Goldpaw is following me." Later that day, on the same computer and in the same browser (cookies have not been cleared) I will see the same notification marked as unread that "Goldpaw is following me."

I have my login credentials saved via Soundcloud, so each time I visit the page I am logged in. These are not separate log in instances. Often times I will have a notification, view it, go to another page or track on Soundcloud, and the notification is there as though I did not view it.

Respectfully, it seems I am not the only one having this issue nor am I the only one frustrated with it. It is not related to browser cache as I have not cleared my cookies or temp internet files. It happens on the same computer/same browser/different computer/different browser it makes no difference.

I hope you can advise a solution in short order and not some canned reply that my issue will be escalated to such and such department. Literally no other site I use that offer notification features have this problem. In fact, on other websites when I view a notification on one device it will be marked as viewed across all devices. Why can't Soundcloud offer this?

25 replies

Userlevel 3
Hi Noqturnal,

This is currently a little bug within the notification system. Your notifications sit in your browser's cache, so they might sometimes reoccur due to this bug. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon. For now, if you clear your cache/cookies it might temporarily help you out, Just as long as you don't mind relogging-in to your online services and accounts after the cache gets wiped.

Sorry about that,
Andrew (Alias AM)
Userlevel 2
Hi Noqturnal,

This is currently a little bug within the notification system. Your notifications sit in your browser's cache, so they might sometimes reoccur due to this bug. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon. For now, if you clear your cache/cookies it might temporarily help you out, Just as long as you don't mind relogging-in to your online services and accounts after the cache gets wiped.

Sorry about that,
Andrew (Alias AM)

Actually, as I stated in my original post, it is not cache related. I tried with and without clearing cookies and I also tried incognito/private browsing modes and I still experience this issue across several browsers and three devices. It's almost as though you didn't read my post and that makes me frustrated as a paid user of this service.

Hopefully, now that you know that it is _not _cache/cookie related and that _it happens regardless of cache/cookies being present or cleared,_ you can implement a fix in a timely manner.
Userlevel 3
Hi Noqturnal,

Sorry about that,
Andrew (Alias AM)

Noqturnal,

I apologize for the inconvenience. I did in fact read the entirety of your post, and this was the fix that temporarily worked for me when I was having the issue, which is why I offered it to you. I read that you didn't clear anything, so I thought maybe you should, since it worked for me.

As I said, this is currently an issue Soundcloud is working on. As a Headliner, I cannot do much about technical issues and fixes. However, I will do my best to work and find a solution that works for you! Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

Again, Sorry for the Inconvenience,
Andrew (Alias AM)
Userlevel 2
Hi Noqturnal,

Sorry about that,
Andrew (Alias AM)

I'm curious who exactly you are, Andrew. Do you work for SoundCloud? I noticed you have 71 posts which doesn't seem like much for a moderator. Can anyone reply to issues on here or is there some kind of customer support team that handles these inquiries?

You say that you can't do much and then in your next sentence you state that you will find a solution. Which is it? Can you point me to a statement from the SoundCloud development team that this is being worked on?
Userlevel 3
Hi Noqturnal,

Sorry about that,
Andrew (Alias AM)

The headliners are a small group of community members that dedicate themselves to trying their best to help in any way they can. The reps and mods that post on here are actual representatives/Employees at soundcloud. I'm doing my best to try and duplicate the problem.... Using different browsers and using old computers I have, since you said that it happens across different computers. I'm trying my hardest to find a solution with the resources I have.

You actually commented on the post that regarded the problem. https://www.soundcloudcommunity.com/s...

I'm sorry for the trouble, I hope you can understand if I personally cannot find a probable solution. Hopefully, in the future, the issue can be and will be resolved.

Andrew (Alias AM)
Userlevel 2
Hi Noqturnal,

Sorry about that,
Andrew (Alias AM)

So you're saying that you can't duplicate the issue? Here is my experience:

1) I open SoundCloud to my profile (log in credentials are saved).
2) I have an unread notification. (Someone has followed me/commented on my track/etc)
3) I read the notification/click on it/etc.
4) The notification alert goes away.
5) Next time I visit SoundCloud from any device using any browser, the old notification reappears marked as unread.

I have also tried:

1) Visit SoundCloud
2) I have an unread notification.
3) I read the notification/click on it/etc.
4) Notification goes away.
5) I close my browser and open a new SoundCloud tab in incognito/private browsing.
6) Log into my account.
7) Old notification is there and marked as unread.

From my experience with this issue, it occurs regardless of whether or not cookies/browser cache are present. Hopefully, with this information you can duplicate the issue.

To be honest, I appreciate your replies, but I'd like to see this addressed by a moderator or a member of the SoundCloud development team. I have seen promises made across multiple threads that this is being investigated, but the threads date back as far as 8 months ago such as this thread which has several replies from users saying they have the same issue.

It seems to me like SoundCloud has been avoiding the topic and giving vague replies like "thank you for your patience we will have the development team look into it further," but 8 months later there's no update or fix. This is problematic considering I pay to use this service and it's concerning to me to see users being put off like this by the moderators.

Respectfully,
Noqturnal
Userlevel 3
Hi Noqturnal,

Sorry about that,
Andrew (Alias AM)

Thanks for that info mate, sorry for the bother. I'll use that to help me duplicate the issue. Sounds like a strange one indeed... One of the reps will likely see this post, since our conversation is keeping it on top, so no worries. For now though, I'll keep doing what I can to help. If I can't duplicate the issue and solve the problem, then I'll leave it to the employees.

Andrew (Alias AM)
Userlevel 2
Hi Noqturnal,

Sorry about that,
Andrew (Alias AM)

I'm sure I'll receive a reply from a moderator any minute now. Lol thanks for your effort, man.

Cheers,
Noqturnal
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Noqturnal,

Sorry about that,
Andrew (Alias AM)

Hi Noqturnal,

Humor, I like it 🙂 Now, this has been an issue for a while, no doubt. What we do when we receive bug reports from our users is indeed forwarding them to the engineering team that owns the relevant service, and provide the number of impacted users who got in touch about it. The team has to decide where to set the priority.

I understand your frustration, and will make sure to pass on your... no wait you don't wanna hear this. Well, you know what I was about to write.

Honestly, it is something that I have noticed with my own accounts, too, so I'm hoping as much as you do that this can get addressed.

Cheers
Mathis

P.S.: Oh, about the moderation - the help forum is a public forum, and we're encouraging users to help each other as much as possible. Gina & Me are moderating the forum and try to get back to all new queries in a timely manner. Plus, Alias AM already explained what the headliners do quite well.
Userlevel 2
Hi Noqturnal,

Sorry about that,
Andrew (Alias AM)

Alright well chalk me up as another user frustrated with this notification business. I appreciate your humor as well and it's diffused my frustration a bit. Hopefully this gets addressed sometime this year. Is there anywhere I can more formally submit this as some kind of bug report?

Thanks,
Noqturnal
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Noqturnal,

Sorry about that,
Andrew (Alias AM)

Hi Noqturnal,

Consider this bug report submitted. I have reached out to the relevant team. Given this bug has been around for a minute, I don't want to set your expectations too high for now, but I'll make sure to follow up with the team again soon to see where this is going.

Best,
Mathis
Hi Noqturnal,

Sorry about that,
Andrew (Alias AM)

Hello,
I have the exact same problem, I simply want to report that the bug has apparently not been corrected yet. I guess it's probably time to fix it now ?
Thank you for your consideration.
Userlevel 2
Hi Noqturnal,

Sorry about that,
Andrew (Alias AM)

You would think so wouldn't you? I'm sure if we just keep being patient...
Hi Noqturnal,

Sorry about that,
Andrew (Alias AM)

What about getting the same notifications in different browsers (but always logged in), for instance desktop browser, laptop browser, maybe even a tablet browser (all Firefox in this case).
Userlevel 2
This issue is still not resolved, by the way, so please change this from solved to pending or open.
This is STILL an issue for me and it's bloody annoying!

Every time I visit Soundcloud, the exact same notification is waiting for me and has been for weeks.
Userlevel 2
It's obvious that soundcloud does not care about this issue. Just don't renew your Pro subscription if you have one. Why pay for a service when the company makes it painfully obvious that they can't be bothered to fix a simple notification bug for their paid subscribers?
Userlevel 2
@Mathis What was the result of your follow up?
lol "solved"
Userlevel 2
@Mathis Any update for us regarding your follow-up with the development team?
I still get this problem.

This is really annoying and poor that it's still happening after 2 years.
Just give us an option to clear-all-notifications and be done with it.
3 threads about the same issue on the first page, with a combined 83 replies and 3,520 views -- yet they are all marked as solved? Something is amiss, as this issue is clearly still affecting users.
Same here. Waiting for the fix. Crazy as it's soundcloud and they should have their act together with something as minor as this. This has been going on for a very long, long time. I use Safari and maybe it don't on Chrome, but don't feel like switching just for this. I may switch anyways... Safari seems to be behind sometimes.
I came to this thread hoping there was a solution to this "3 year old" issue. As someone just starting to gain a small following, it is exciting to log-in to this service, like many social services, and find that maybe someone liked or discovered your track. I'm replying to this thread because that's not the case - like everyone else, I continuously see the same notification(s) and it's super disheartening.

The intrinsic reward of logging in thinking you may have reached a new listener just gets shot down with the same notification.

I agree with the above - if you can't fix the problem then please implement a new "delete notifications" option so we can permanently delete these ongoing notifications.

-Thank you for starting this thread and I feel for you @Noqturnal