Question

Search engine Issues with my Originally unoriginal name.

• 8 March 2015
  • 8 replies

It's not the biggest issue for most people but when i tell people to find me on soundcloud i fought pretty hard to get the title skepsis without any add ins or annotations of any kind. So when i tell people to search for me on soundcloud i wanted it to be as easiest as possible since there is an atrocity of skepsis's on soundcloud. Ranging from 2 different "official" skepsis's and skepsis* and skepsis(.) I feel because my name is Skepsis it should pop up first when searched for. I feel this has drastically reduced the amount of followers and fanbase i could have had over the past few years i've owned operated and even paid for using the services of soundcloud. i really hate complaining but it's just gotten to a point for me where i feel i need to ask why i'm 5th from the top when i just type my name plainly into the search when theres noone else with that specific username. anyways yeah i dont mean to complain i would just like to be the first search option when thats the only thing i'm searching for.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Skepsis,

Thanks for writing into the help forum, no need to apologise for complaining, this is a legitimate question. So our search algorithm does not run off of only a word match, it also takes into account popularity of the profile and activity. I searched for your name and saw that it came up third when I filter the search to look for only user profiles. The first result is a profile that has about 1700 followers and the second account only has 174 followers but it has 74 uploaded tracks.

Does this help you understand why you are not the first result? Let me know if you have any further questions about this.

Best wishes,
Gina
I understand it's looking for things related to the name with the most followers and i would assume downloads and everything come into play. The issue i have is that i'm specifically searching for the name Skepsis without any add ons i believe it should be coming up first. if i wrote skepsis and then hit spacebar it i would hope it's trying to see i'm looking for something else rather then what i just typed. my issue is though my url is "http://soundcloud.com/skepsis" so i still feel i should be coming up on top for searched items. When i click on everything i get shoved even further down. people don't even have the time to watch an entire 3 minute cat video so as if they'd scroll down when 4 other guys named skepsis with the word official beside it are right there to click.

Anyways it sounds like i'm complaining a lot again. I would like some suggestions other then buying followers on how to get my url in the search with less effort, constant scrolling and clicking about so the people i ask to check it out don't click on some other guys profile. i feel i've already lost a LOT of followers in the past 5 or so years i've owned the account.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I understand it's looking for things related to the name with the most followers and i would assume downloads and everything come into play. The issue i have is that i'm specifically searching for the name Skepsis without any add ons i believe it should be coming up first. if i wrote skepsis and then hit spacebar it i would hope it's trying to see i'm looking for something else rather then what i just typed. my issue is though my url is "http://soundcloud.com/skepsis" so i still feel i should be coming up on top for searched items. When i click on everything i get shoved even further down. people don't even have the time to watch an entire 3 minute cat video so as if they'd scroll down when 4 other guys named skepsis with the word official beside it are right there to click.

Anyways it sounds like i'm complaining a lot again. I would like some suggestions other then buying followers on how to get my url in the search with less effort, constant scrolling and clicking about so the people i ask to check it out don't click on some other guys profile. i feel i've already lost a LOT of followers in the past 5 or so years i've owned the account.

Hi Skepsis,

Thanks for getting back to me. I get that you're super frustrated and I am sorry but again, the search is not simply a word match. It's not also a simple highest follow count wins the top spot or whoever uploads the most tracks. We realise that weighing the search algorithm more heavily on any of these factors would be unfair which is why we use a variety of factors.

However, remember that your url is unique. When promoting yourself be sure to give out your entire SoundCloud url soundcloud.com/skepsis. This will always direct anyone directly to your profile page.

Thanks again for asking about this on the help forum, let me know if I can answer any other questions for you,
Gina

he is right ...sorry to say that but you don't answer the question gina. the search engine must make him come first on the top ....that's his exact url. and speaking of popularity when i'm trying to search my own name "brave" I'm behind 2 guys that have a huge total of 1 follower together. juste because they have the word "brave" somewhere in there url
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi you two,

Thanks for following up. I believe -brave-, you've commented on a different conversation where I posted the following bit about discoranking and how it works - sorry if you're reading duplicate info.

Now, either way, I see your point and will make sure to pass on your feedback to the relevant product team for review.

Here's some more info around how our Search works: the search relies on an algorithm called ‘Discoranking’ (which stands for “Discovery Ranking”) which returns the most popular results first. Discoranking pulls the search results based upon a variety of variables including the wording of your search and the popularity of profiles.

Each track and artist has a "DiscoRank" that is calculated by a wide variety of factors. These factors include, but are not limited to; the number of likes, reposts, and followers associated with specific tracks and accounts. Not only does the number of your own followers give you a higher DiscoRank-- we also consider how many followers your followers have and so on. The more “influential” the network of followers you are associated with, the higher your DiscoRank will be. As you can imagine, this network could go on forever!

All of these factors work together to give the most popular and relevant results for a search. For example, even if you input an exact Profile URL into search, there may be profiles which have a wider network of popularity which will rank higher than an exact word match.

It is important to note that an account’s Display Name is just one of many variables which affect your position within search results; your popularity remains the dominant factor in Discoranking algorithms.

Therefore, the fact that more than one account can now have the same Display Name will have no impact on search results.

I hope this allows you to understand the search results you're seeing more comprehensively. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Cheers,
Mathis

I think the ''Discorank" algorithm is majorly flawed as well. I have plenty of users on top of me some with 1 or even 0 followers. They also have less plays and songs than me. I understand that thats the system that you have in place but maybe it should be looked at or re-evaluated. I appreciate the time you spend dealing with users, this is purely constructive feedback.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey ODIN,

We appreciate that and your feedback has been forwarded to our Search team.

-Gina

Hello, I am also Interested in learning more about how to be at the top of the search results. Does the Age of the Page make a difference? Does it matter if you are a Pro Unlimited user or not? What is the criteria for becoming Pro Premium? Thank you I look forward to your reply!