Question

Seeking forward & back

Can anyone explain why I can't seek forwards & backwards through mixes when listening? Using MacBook Pro.

Thanks

53 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hey Craig!

Thanks for posting on our new forum. You should be able to move forward and back while listening to a track by clicking along the waveform. I made a quick video to show you: http://www.screencast.com/t/RwQ5AiFM.

Hopefully this is clear. If you are still having problems then first clear your cache and cookies and start from a fresh browser window or you can always give another browser a try.

Let me know if problems persists or if you have any other questions. We're happy to help and again - welcome to the new Help Forum :)

Best,
Gina
Gina, this is happening on my stream as well. It's infuriating, please sort this shit out.
Never used to happen (EVER) and now it's happening to 4 out of every 5 songs. Is this a conscious change by SoundCloud? If so, what on earth were you thinking? If not, please advise on how to fix it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Dj Wez,

Sorry to hear you're having the same issue. Did you watch my screencast that I posted above? Please confirm that you are not able to skip around the track as I demonstrated. If that is the case, then that is definitely a bug and not intended behaviour which we will fix.

Also, does the same behaviour occur on all browsers?

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Gina
Same here, worked before but doens't work any longer. But the problem exists only in FF32 (Linux), Chrome still works.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Aicke,

Apologies for the late response! Can you take a look at this help article of ours. Perhaps enabling Gstreamer mp3 support will solve this for you. I've also heard a tip from one of our developers that since Linux users are all slightly different then you may also want to try changing the documentation to false not true.

Hope this helps, let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
Gina
Hi Gina,

nah, that isn't late. Now to the solution. I tried it both, with true and false (and firefox restart after every change, just to make sure its really switched), but that doesnt helped. Just to mention, Flash is installed, but only 11.2, that the latest supported version under Linux, beside the Chrome build in Player which is 15.x.

Regards.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hey hey,

Sorry to hear this didn't help. I'm setting up a new Linux test environment as I write and will run further tests soon. Hopefully, this will provide further insights and a way to solve or work around the issue.

I will get back to you asap.

Cheers,
Mathis
It's being so frustrating. I have a MBP and since a couple of days ago the player doesn't seek forwards & backwards as well. I'm using my phone _
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi all,

Thanks for hanging in there with us. Here's some info about this. It appears the newest update of Safari is not reading some of the tracks on SoundCloud.com correctly and therefore they are not seek-able / skip-able at the moment. This is affecting any user with the newest update Safari 7.1 and Mac OS. Our developers just recently discovered the bug within this update of Safari and have sent a report to Apple. Hopefully it is not long before we hear back from them!

Can you all check if another browser, such as Chrome, is working for you?

@Aicke Schulz I realize you're using Firefox on a Linux device, so this update doesn't apply to you. I will fork your most recent reply and create a new conversation for you.

Cheers,
Mathis
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Gina,

nah, that isn't late. Now to the solution. I tried it both, with true and false (and firefox restart after every change, just to make sure its really switched), but that doesnt helped. Just to mention, Flash is installed, but only 11.2, that the latest supported version under Linux, beside the Chrome build in Player which is 15.x.

Regards.

Original conversation does not apply for user Aicke Schulz. Please reference the new topic here: Tracks cannot be skipped in Firefox 32 under Linux
Hello.
Seeker problem. When I click on track waveform, nothing not happening.
Also, shuffle button do not work.

FF33 both problems, but in Chrome its works fine.
P.S. Windows 7
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello.

P.S. Windows 7

Hi SCOFIELD,

Just tried to reproduce but couldn't - FF33.0.3. - Can you send over the playlist where you've experienced this please? Also, have you performed basic maintenance as outlined here? #justmakingsure

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
Mathis
Hello.

P.S. Windows 7

Just updated FF to 33.0.3 and Adobe Flash. Same problems

Playlist: https://soundcloud.com/thriftworks/se...
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello.

P.S. Windows 7

Hi SCOFIELD,

Thanks for sending over that link. Hmm, pretty weird - both skipping forward / backward and shuffle are working ok for me. Any plugins that might be blocking Firefox from working? Have you tried Firefox's Safe mode to see if this provides any insights?
Hello.

P.S. Windows 7

Same thing in safe mode. Forward and backward buttons is works (panel in right bottom part of screen). But when I click on track wave, if you understand what I mean 🙂, it is do not work
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello.

P.S. Windows 7

hey SCOFIELD,

Thanks for your response. Ok, let's see what else there can be done. Not sure if we can help much further from here, as I'm unable to reproduce the issue with the same setup that you have, but here's what you can try to find out more clues as to why this isn't working:

1. Open SoundCloud.com in your browser
2. Open the console
3. Reproduce the error and see if the console is recording and error messages

Feel free to take a screenshot and send it over. (If the screenshot get's resized on the forum so the error messages cannot be read anymore, please upload it to your dropbox or a different online storage and send over the link.

Cheers,
Mathis
Hello.

P.S. Windows 7

Actually, there are no errors in console, only message about "Jobs" (but it's not error :P).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6jwjmzm28a...

It's seems like when I click on shuffle button or track wave click event is not fired.

Sorry for bad english 🙂
Hello.

P.S. Windows 7

Ok, I tested on my netbook and all works fine :)
It's weird.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello.

P.S. Windows 7

Hey SCOFIELD,

Do you have the same set of software on your netbook, or are you using a different operating system & browser there?

Cheers,
Mathis
Hello.

P.S. Windows 7

Same OS and same browser
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello.

P.S. Windows 7

Hey SCOFIELD,

Thanks for confirming. Alright then - yes, very weird. I'm assuming you have your Netbook on the same internet connection, too, correct? Other then that, is there any difference in the software installed on the two devices?

We'll keep observing and investigating, but in your case, it looks like it is indeed something on the device that's blocking SoundCloud from working properly - if you find out what's the root cause to this, please do let us know here.

Cheers,
Mathis
Hello.

P.S. Windows 7

Ok, I will let you know if I find solution to solve this proble.
Hello.

P.S. Windows 7

Is this bad - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohzwxqaryci... ?
Hello.

P.S. Windows 7

When listening to big files, for example 1-2 hours (60-120 minutes)-

how can I move forward and back to a specific time, and not just guessing in the dark to where I move it ?