Question

Sex Spam Messages

• 10 October 2016
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1
Sex spam has become an issue on Soundcloud. I find this annoying and sad. The site risks loosing its feel and appeal.

It is not unreasonable to consider how links within these messages could direct to sites which may hack personal and financial data. Less aware and younger users of the site may be vulnerable to this.

We can do our bit by blocking and reporting spam, however, it seems clear that the site is facing difficulties managing the problem. It would be good to hear from Soundcloud about what is actually being done about it. Keeping everyone in the dark doesn't do much for confidence.

The last sex spam message I had was 20 hours ago from a user whose account is still active at the time of writing.

13 replies

Userlevel 3
Yea... But more than half of all internet traffic is robots and the majority of those robots do spammy stuff. So the problem you have is more the reality of the internet of today, not a Souncloud problem specifically. I mean even this forum is getting spammed. It's a very difficult thing to deal with!
Userlevel 1
Yea... But more than half of all internet traffic is robots and the majority of those robots do spammy stuff. So the problem you have is more the reality of the internet of today, not a Souncloud problem specifically. I mean even this forum is getting spammed. It's a very difficult thing to deal with!
I notice you post similar responses to other concerns on here...

I'm not sure my post deserved such a broad dismissal, but implicit in what you say is an acceptance of a situation that I personally see no reason to accept.

Going along with it all will get you nowhere. Challenge the problem or live with it. That is the choice we all make, every day of our lives....
Userlevel 3
Thank you & yes the face of accountability, of leadership, of a figurehead encouraging the original spirit of Soundcloud seems to have never existed, at least publicly. They could of easily addressed your concerns years ago, but for some reason they've never done that... If the people who have invested tens of millions in Soundcloud could interact with us and work on solutions with us all the so-called executives of Souncloud would of been out of a job long ago!
Userlevel 3
They don't even post to their blog anymore... Whatever is going on behind the scenes must be really ugly for them to behaving this way for so long... It's really, really sad... All they need to do is show some leadership and accountability but they have been silent for so long it seems like they gave up on success long ago!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback around this. This issue is as much a concern for us as it is for you. You seem to be fully aware of how to block and report a spam or fake account to us, so I won't merge this conversation to the larger topic.

Our Trust & Safety team continues to look into methods to detect spam and prevent fake activity on SoundCloud. However, as Warriorpoets already indicated, it is a constant struggle. The team currently does not respond on the help forum directly. However, you can reach out to them directly via email here.

All the best to you,
Mathis
http://soundcloud.com/settings/privacy you can all block by this privacy i have now all safe me all time hate and Music stole over Douwnload tracks ,http://scdownloader.net this tracks stole you number
Userlevel 1
Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback around this. This issue is as much a concern for us as it is for you. You seem to be fully aware of how to block and report a spam or fake account to us, so I won't merge this conversation to the larger topic.

Our Trust & Safety team continues to look into methods to detect spam and prevent fake activity on SoundCloud. However, as Warriorpoets already indicated, it is a constant struggle. The team currently does not respond on the help forum directly. However, you can reach out to them directly via email here.

All the best to you,
Mathis

Thank you for taking the time to post here, Mathis

For those looking for a solution to this issue, it remains block and report. Users who have a specific issue with sex spam can email the Trust and Safety team direct - see above.

Thank you to all who have posted on this subject, here and in other threads ...
I cannot belive people are asking others listeners to have sex with them, i am in the process of reporting them
Sex spam has become an issue on Soundcloud. I find this annoying and sad. The site risks loosing its feel and appeal.

It is not unreasonable to consider how links within these messages could direct to sites which may hack personal and financial data. Less aware and younger users of the site may be vulnerable to this.

We can do our bit by blocking and reporting spam, however, it seems clear that the site is facing difficulties managing the problem. It would be good to hear from Soundcloud about what is actually being done about it. Keeping everyone in the dark doesn't do much for confidence.

The last sex spam message I had was 20 hours ago from a user whose account is still active at the time of writing.

That's very true.
I cannot stop getting these stupid spam messages, and thing is, I'm 13. It's very inappropriate.

Our Trust & Safety team continues to look into methods to detect spam and prevent fake activity on SoundCloud. However, as Warriorpoets already indicated, it is a constant struggle. Mathis

Have you thought about engaging an outsourced IT company to assist soundcloud with this problem? It has been getting worse and worse. Has anyone thought of removing the ability to message people who don't have a 'paid for account?'

Cheers,

Linz.
How can I stop receiving all these sex spam messages? When I check my inbox, their status is “deleted user”. It seems they send these messages and immediately delete their accounts and re-open other bogus accounts to avoid detection. Soundcloud should incorporate some method of account verification to permit sending messages from verified accounts only. Maybe blocking IP addresses of users who repeatedly open/create multiple accounts from the same IP address.
What I'm more upset about is the fact that some of these chicks are mad cute but they never respond. I wanted to hook up but after messaging them numerous times none responded - wtf...
I just downloaded soundcloud today and the first follower i got, i have not posted anything by the way, was a sex spam bot or something. It is very annoying since soundcloud is a app where u listen to things you like. Can the developers please remove bots like that. 😠