Question

Shuffle button not working as expected

Userlevel 1
With the new Shuffle Button shit is fucked up.
When you've got a playlist with like 300+ Songs all you can do is start at the first track and shuffle through it all. Before that I could just start where I wanted in my playlist and during shuffling selecting songs I were in mood for.
But now, if I click let say song #150, it ONLY shuffles my playlist from song #150 - #300, so song #1 - #149 won't even be played unless I start from song #1 again.

20 replies

How do I fix the shuffle feature it only shuffles like 10 songs on the same screen as the other song. Like what is the point of shuffle if you don't shuffle the entire library you have.
If you use soundcloud a lot, you know that their shuffle button doesn't work at all. It'll shuffle the first few songs in your likes while all your other songs are just sitting there. Sign this and raise some support so hopefully Soundcloud fixes the beloved shuffle button.

https://www.change.org/p/soundcloud-petition-for-soundcloud-to-implement-a-working-shuffle-button?recruiter=757284535&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition
Hello—
SoundCloud.com’s web player has had a shuffle feature for a while now, which is great. However, it has a big issue when it comes to shuffling tracks, whether that be Liked tracks or on a playlist. It only shuffles the most recent content liked, completely ignoring the rest of the likes the user has made. I believe this is due to it only choosing from pre-loaded material on the first page of likes.
This has been an issue for a few months now, and I am asking for it to be fixed. I have been using SoundCloud as my music streaming service of choice for over 2 years, but if this issue is not fixed soon I’m afraid I’ll have to migrate my account to one of your competitors.
When will this get fixed?
Thanks
How come the new shuffle button only plays 20 songs in a small section of my 800 song playlist? Soundcloud please.
Hi guys, not sure if anyone else has the same issue but at least as far as I can tell, this "shuffle" function has been a persistent playback problem for a while now.

Even though there is a shuffle function in the playback bar, it doesn't actually shuffle the entirety of your playlist. From what I can tell, it shuffles a certain section of your playlist (seems to be whatever my browser loads or can fit on the display screen) and then repeats the same section after shuffling through. Songs that were not included in that shuffle section would not ever get played back.

Can we get any responses or an update from the Soundcloud team on this issue? Much thanks.
I'm quite confident they have done this in attempt to save money. By only shuffling 10-20 songs (the most recent of likes) they don't have to render your entire playlist which saves them a couple of cents of bandwith.

Pretty dumb because the lack of a shuffle feature is what is holding me back from paying for Soundcloud premium service.

This is the most basic of features any music service needs.
@SoundCloud Community Support IF THIS SHUFFLE FEATURE IS NOT FIXED BY THE END OF 2018, I WILL FOREVER BE CANCELING MY PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION.

This is ridiculous.
Dear Soundcloud, ( community )

I wonder what I am doing wrong, or if I might found a bug, but this is what happens:

Everytime when I upload a track of mine, I listen to it, to find any errors in a possible upload. ( I always check the quality of the 'slight' quality degredation after upload. ) This is no problem but it came to my attention, when my track is finished playing it starts to do an automated playlist. It starts with the same track all the time, and I am not even following or liking anything from him. ( To be honest, his track is working a bit on my nerves ) It happens aswell when I play someone elses track without setting a playlist. This guys track is getting a bit tired now, after hearing it each time after i played a track of own choice. The guy is probably very happy with me, since i believe i am solely responsible for the 1000's of listens of his track.

Is there a way to stop having the same repetative list again and again? This has been going for about a year or so. I have played with the shuffle and repeat function trying to solve this, without succes.
Userlevel 3
C'mon @soundcloud @SoundCloud Community Support we need this fixed ASAP! Been too long now
Userlevel 3
I love hearing the same song over and over. Shuffling your own likes is almost as bad as all the repost abuse on the Stream now. Please fix SoundCloud!
Here are some stuff I have tried and noticed about the Shuffle feature on the Browser version.

1. The Shuffle seems to, initially, only load tracks that are loaded in the browser. When you open, for example, a list or your favorites list, the browser only load the 15 most recent songs. You got to scroll down and force the browser to see the whole list BEFORE pressing the Shuffle button so that it seems to consider the actual full list. (Maybe it's related to a limitation about to how the list is loaded in the browser temporary data such as the picture of the tracks and so on.) Still, if I don't force the browser to load the list, it usually keep the Shuffle at most recent songs until they have all played.
  2. Sometimes, the browser list fails to load the next song and, if the Repeat-All is not activated, the player switch toward a "alike" list (which is the "Station" of the last song played). If you really don't want the player to switch to that, make sure you activate the Repeat-All feature in the player.
  3. The shuffle doesn't select a random track from a list, but instead from a specific range. Let's say that you start playing from the track 80 of a list of 300. When the track ends, the shuffle won't seek track further than a certain value from that initial 80. I think it's around 20 and if I'm right, then after 80, the next track will be between 60 and 100. Rinse and repeat and if the next track is 98, then the following track would be around 78 and 118. This makes it really hard to reach the other end of the list if you're starting from the other end. It happens some times, but it's super rare. This is also why, when the track seems to "raise" in the shuffle, it rarely goes down and when it reach the upper or lower part, it seems to stick to that side of the list until half of the list has played (which means many hours later).
This has been going on for much longer than two years. How much of a clusterfuck can this platform be if you cant seem to not only load more than like 15 songs by default in my likes, but that you cant even shuffle the order in which they are displayed. shuffle(allMyLikesNotOnlyTheOnesMyBrowserLoaded).take(15)
It's a shame because it actually works well on the mobile app... 🙄
With the new Shuffle Button shit is fucked up.
When you've got a playlist with like 300+ Songs all you can do is start at the first track and shuffle through it all. Before that I could just start where I wanted in my playlist and during shuffling selecting songs I were in mood for.
But now, if I click let say song #150, it ONLY shuffles my playlist from song #150 - #300, so song #1 - #149 won't even be played unless I start from song #1 again.

mine doesn't shuffle at all for some reason
fuck soundcloud they dont listen to shit
Userlevel 3
@SoundCloud Community Support what's up with this? No fix yet? Truly frustrating
Userlevel 3
I've been having this same issue for a while now as well. No response from @Sou Chou @SoundCloud Community Support it seems. Guess they just choose to ignore
Userlevel 3
Yep, broken for a long time now. Wish they would get this fixed
Userlevel 3
Dear Soundcloud, ( community )

I wonder what I am doing wrong, or if I might found a bug, but this is what happens:

Everytime when I upload a track of mine, I listen to it, to find any errors in a possible upload. ( I always check the quality of the 'slight' quality degredation after upload. ) This is no problem but it came to my attention, when my track is finished playing it starts to do an automated playlist. It starts with the same track all the time, and I am not even following or liking anything from him. ( To be honest, his track is working a bit on my nerves ) It happens aswell when I play someone elses track without setting a playlist. This guys track is getting a bit tired now, after hearing it each time after i played a track of own choice. The guy is probably very happy with me, since i believe i am solely responsible for the 1000's of listens of his track.

Is there a way to stop having the same repetative list again and again? This has been going for about a year or so. I have played with the shuffle and repeat function trying to solve this, without succes.

Been a really long time for me as well now. Would really like to see a response from SoundCloud but I can't find anything
Userlevel 3
Lol, wish this worked. Soundcloud does really need to address this issue. Come on, low hanging fruit here SoundCloud. Turn a bunch of frustrated fans back into fanboys please!!