Answered

Since today 2018/01/15 music only plays in one speaker

• 15 January 2018
  • 72 replies

This is only happening under Firefox, Chrome works fine.

I checked Youtube and everywhere else and they play fine.

Only Soundcloud has this problem, all music is only coming through one speaker, making it unusable under Firefox.
icon

Best answer by SevenKnights 20 April 2019, 22:03

For anyone else having the same issue.

It's not Firefox, it's not Chrome. It's Pulseaudio.

In /etc/pulse/daemon.conf set:
code:
enable-lfe-remixing = yes

Restart Pulseaudio:
code:
pulseaudio -k && pulseaudio --start

Soundcloud and some old youtube songs will work again after this.
View original

72 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
@Infinzors yes disabling web audio should fix it for now. Change 'dom.webaudio.enabled' to 'false' and restart the browser. When the firefox bug is fixed please change it back 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge
@Feniks Gordon Freeman doesn't play that at all, or only plays from the left speaker?

Also what does https://jsbin.com/mekazun sound like?

Thanks
57.04 is the latest release from January 4th. 58 is the beta version. That being said, I've updated to 58 and it does not solve the loss of surround stereo that occurred in Soundcloud on Firefox in the last few days. Mixcloud and YouTube and all other media sites continue to play in 7.1 stereo, whereas Soundcloud only plays in 2.0 and a half... stereo with really weak bass. This is a serious problem.
Userlevel 4
Badge
@DJ Charts @d.brot thanks for checking. Does this still happen when logged out in an incognito window?
@DJ Charts @d.brot thanks for checking. Does this still happen when logged out in an incognito window?

It does indeed work in an incognito window! 7.1 stereo surround is working perfectly. Why is that?
Userlevel 4
Badge
@DJ Charts yes. I think it still might be this problem though because most media sites do not currently use web audio.
@DJ Charts yes. I think it still might be this problem though because most media sites do not currently use web audio.

I see, thanks for the explanation.
Userlevel 4
Badge
@Throwaway4Seven Ok. If you are sure they are all mapped correctly then it looks like a bug (with WebAudio) in Firefox on ArchLinux. I will open a ticket in Firefox's bug tracker.
Has anyone been able to test Firefox 62 via Nightly to see if it's remedied? I never had this issue prior and just experienced it after an upgrade to Firefox 61.0.1 (64-bit). Running OS X 10.11.6 - same symptoms - left channel only, soundcloud only, works fine in Chrome (but I'm no fan of Chrome..)
Mozilla updated parent ticket for WebAudio issue. Maybe, in some time they will process https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1435598
Userlevel 4
Badge
Yes it looks like hopefully it will be fixed in Firefox 61.
same problem here
OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
Firefox 61.0.2

Change 'dom.webaudio.enabled' to 'false' and restart the browser. WORKED FOR ME !!!

Thanks !
Yes, there is only mono and in only one speaker with that page.
Userlevel 4
Badge
ok. @Throwaway4Seven what browser version and OS are you using? Does that test page have the same problem in other browsers?

Thanks
Userlevel 4
Badge
hey @Sev

- What version of firefox are you using?
- What operating system and version are you using?
- Are you listening with headphones or laptop speakers?

Thanks
- I'm using Firefox 57.0.4 (64 bits)
- I'm using ArchLinux updated to latest.
- It's a 5.1 speaker setup.

Soundcloud is the only website doing this.

It works fine under Chrome, I'm guessing API misusage.

It worked the day before. I didn't touch the OS.
Userlevel 4
Badge
@SevenKnights thanks. Please could you try updating to firefox version 58?
- I'm using Firefox 57.0.4 (64 bits)
- I'm using ArchLinux updated to latest.
- It's a 5.1 speaker setup.

Soundcloud is the only website doing this.

It works fine under Chrome, I'm guessing API misusage.

It worked the day before. I didn't touch the OS.

Can you unban me? It's getting confusing for both.

Chrome plays it correctly.
Userlevel 4
Badge
thanks @thraisyyy sorry there seems to be a glitch somewhere but we will try and get your other account unbanned.

I am wondering if maybe your speaker/routing is configured incorrectly. Your right speaker could be configured as the centre one and this could cause this problem, for example.

Please could you check with something like https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/test-tones.html

the speaker-test command might also be helpful: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture

Thanks!
Solution if you have no surround sound:
I had the same problem with Firefox 58, after I upgraded from Win7 to Win10 yesterday. The incognito mode pointed me into the right direction. It's the Ani-Tracking feature of the new Firefox which causes this problem, at least was this the cause for me. Just click on the shield-symbol in the URL bar and deactivate the Anti-Tracking protection for the Soundcloud site. After this I had surround sound again. I hope this helps somebody of you.
Have absolutely same issue.

Symptoms: Playback only on left channel.

How to reproduce:
1) Install gentoo x64
2) Install any DE (for example, kde)
3) Install pulseaudio
4) Install firefox-bin
5) login to soundcloud

Hardware:
1) 00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH HD Audio (intel HDA)
2) 5.1 surround system (connected)

Configuration:
1) pulseaudio are configured by default (no ressampling or whatever). Vanilla gentoo configuration
2) pulseaudio profile are set to 5.1 sound
2) Kernel buffer set to default param (2k page)

All system sounds are work fine. Even, if I open: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_stereo.php -> it correctly reproduce audio (I think, hense used html5 for reproduce audio).

I don't know, how soundclound are streaming audio (RTP? Dummu HTTP?), but defensively something goes wrong in case of FF.
(P.S. Also, I fully removed FF configuration. But still issue exist).
# When you click "play" on any sound, soundcloud returns mpeg playlist with streams
# Then some magic

As sound are still plays in chromium, I think, problem should be in Soundcloud player (hehey, hello to dummy javascript).
So, I sure, that problem in JS player at soundcloud.
Ah, see, soundcloud send sound by "parts" and with help of javascript glue final playback buffer and then play it. Looks, that some logic, that responsible for buffer processing (or maybe, playback) just ignore one channel
+ @Tom Jenkinson as looks like he is developer, maybe my information will help to process this ticket