Question

Sound Distortion on PC

• 26 November 2017
  • 42 replies

Ok. Lately, my Soundcloud has been acting up. Any song that I have played has this distortion on it, like it's being downsampled. It hasn't been fixed yet. Any suggestions to fix the problem? This is happening on my PC btw.

This topic has been closed for comments

42 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
@Elatha please can you provide a url to a track which has the problem? Also what browser and browser version are you using? Does it also happen if you load the site in an incognito window? What version of windows are you using?

Thanks!
@Tom Jenkinson there isn't a particular track it's happening on. it's on any track that i'm listening to. in terms of browser, i'm using the latest version of Google Chrome, and I'm running Windows 10. oddly enough, it doesn't distort in an incognito window, which is strange.
I've been experiencing this too. I started noticing it about two weeks ago and it happens with both my desktop and laptop. It's just about every song I listen to. I've tried to make sure other programs aren't running that might suck up bandwidth but the problem persists. It's enough that I've stopped listening to Soundcloud as often and instead find the tracks on YouTube where the quality is reliable.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hey @Elatha @ajejr88 do you get the same distortion when listening through headphones? Also does your laptop have mono or stereo speakers?

@Elatha please could you try logging in in an incognito window, then after logging refresh the page, and then try and play something? Is the sound distorted again after a refresh?

Thanks
Hey @Elatha @ajejr88 do you get the same distortion when listening through headphones? Also does your laptop have mono or stereo speakers?

@Elatha please could you try logging in in an incognito window, then after logging refresh the page, and then try and play something? Is the sound distorted again after a refresh?

Thanks
Hey Tom. I have the same problem like the others.
So i tried what you suggested. When in incognito mode the track is fine. The moment i log in with my account in the same incognito window, the track becomes distorted.

Thanks
Hey Tom. I have the same problem like the others.
So i tried what you suggested. When in incognito mode the track is fine. The moment i log in with my account in the same incognito window, the track becomes distorted.

This problem is observable on a track i uploaded today (https://soundcloud.com/wtrfall/wtrfalllose).
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hey @WTRFALL thanks for checking and providing a track.

Please can you let us know if it is still distorted when listening through headphones? Also do you know if your laptop has a mono or stereo output?
I have a similar problem on a specific track in specific scenarios. On soundcloud everything sounds great. Through my embedded link however, it seems to sound fine through Safari, but not Google Chrome, where there is very significant distortion. The same result comes in incognito mode.

Here are the links:
Soundcould: https://soundcloud.com/arturoziraldo/vieuxtemps-capriccio
Embedded at: http://www.arturoziraldo.com/media.html (first track on the page)

Thanks for your help!
Userlevel 4
Badge
hey @arturoziraldo @WTRFALL please can you listen to the link below and tell us whether

- both beeps are coming from all speakers or
- the first beep comes only from one speaker and the second one only from the other

http://soundtest.soundcloud.com/stereo-check.wav

Thanks
hey @arturoziraldo @WTRFALL please can you listen to the link below and tell us whether

- both beeps are coming from all speakers or
- the first beep comes only from one speaker and the second one only from the other

http://soundtest.soundcloud.com/stereo-check.wav

Thanks
For me the first beep is left and the second is right.
As for the question is my laptop has mono or stereo output, i am currently using a usb driven interface Focusrite 2i2 for my output.
And the problem still persist on the linked track 🙂
i have this problem aswell
Userlevel 4
Badge
@WTRFALL thanks for all the info. Please can you try listening with some headphones plugged into your interface, and also directly into the pc and tell us if the same distortion is still there with the headphones?

Thanks
@WTRFALL thanks for all the info. Please can you try listening with some headphones plugged into your interface, and also directly into the pc and tell us if the same distortion is still there with the headphones?

Thanks
Hey Tom, just tried that. it's exactly the same result. Incognito mode (not logged in) - sound great, Logged in - the track gets distorted.
Userlevel 4
Badge
@WTRFALL thanks I sent you a PM so we can debug this further.
Userlevel 1
I've experienced the same issue, where the audio sounds fine in incognito mode but with noticeable artifacts when logged in.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @Sam Dodson thanks for reporting.

What browser and version are you using?
What operating system and version are you using?

Please can you provide a track which is most effected for you?

Also if you listen to http://soundtest.soundcloud.com/stereo-check.wav does the sound come completely out of just the left speaker, followed by just the right speaker, or does it come from both at the same time?

Thanks
I am also noticing a drop in sound quality when logged in. The same track sounds fine when logged out, but as soon as I log in there is a lot of distortion introduced.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hey @VIZITOR what os and version are you using, and what browser?

Thanks.
Ive tried this on Macos Sierra 10.12.6 and up to date Windows 10 using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge - all with the same result.
Same problem here, using the latest version of chrome and the distortion problem goes away if im not logged into my account, seems like most of the people i know are having this problem. A temporary fix is listening to the songs on incognito mode and stay logged out. Hopefully soundcloud fixes this soon.
I've been having this same problem too! Windows 10 on Google Chrome, there's this track I've been working on that sounded horribly distorted/compressed whenever I would upload it (with/without headroom, mp3 or wav) but it sounds completely fine when I use my Mac or when I'm signed out of an account on Windows. Spent hours trying to figure out what was up and thought it was something wrong with my mixing, good to know it's not just me.
Same issue on Chrome on my Mac, song sounds fine on Safari and sounds fine through earbuds/headphones.
Userlevel 2
I have noticed in the last week or so that all my files sound like they have been downsampled, I upload everything as wav files and they used to all sound great, but now there is definate degradation in sound quality, you especially notice it on pads and string sections of music, it makes the piece totally unlistenable and frankly this is not acceptable to a paying customer epecting a service... Please get this sorted quickly as I use this platform to present my work and right now I can not let potential clients hear it as it sounds so unprofessional...
Works fine if logged out of account as other have pointed out. Obviously that's not ideal tho..

cheers
Stewart.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hey @Isaiah Unique @RIXARDO @bre jafari @VIZITOR please can you try disabling sound enhancements in windows settings and let us know if this fixes the issue?

- Press Windows key + X.
- Click on Control Panel.
- Double-Click on the Sound Icon and click on Speakers.
- Click on Properties.
- Click on Enhancements Tab.
- Now click "Disable All Sound Effects"
- Click OK.
- Restart your browser.

Thanks!
Userlevel 2
Disable all effects were already set to off on my pc...