Stations are now available on Web

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello everyone,

You asked for it! SoundCloud Stations are now available on web. You can learn more about Stations, how they work and where you can find them here on our Help Center.

Cheers
Mathis

48 replies

Userlevel 1
Thanks for the update Mathis. Can you tell us how you decide what tracks are added to a radio station for a particular artist or song? I've listened to several stations now and I can hear no connecting theme or logic whatsoever. In fact its indistinguishable from a completely random stream of tracks. Which does not seem useful. Thanks.
Very good point... People feel as if they're fling blind without a system of "INTEREST REFERENCE" ... The DEWEY DECIMAL SYSTEM TAUGHT US THAT...
Userlevel 5
How about stop fooking about with this load of rubbish and give everyone groups back like everyone else wants & what everyone had paid for!!!!!!!!
Userlevel 3
followings 2.0: "random recommendations" edition
How about stop fooking about with this load of rubbish and give everyone groups back like everyone else wants & what everyone had paid for!!!!!!!!
https://soundcloud.com/losttalentgroup Join our project if you want more groups!
word!
Userlevel 5
Honestly once again mathias look at the poor response for another piece of rubbish forced upon us saying what we've been asking for it lol,look at youre response from soundcloud members!! does that not tell you once again another poor decision??!!
Userlevel 5
You need to listen to youre existing members youve got left otherwise they'll be all gone soon,everyone wants the groups back & while im at it also the embedded player that used to work & with our own original artwork!!
Userlevel 5
bumping as everyone wanted this:)
Userlevel 1
Random shite features is not going to bring back people listening to our tunes champ. And when you use the collective We next try and come up with something better than this utter shite pointless feature that probably no one who uses Soundcloud give a fuck about
Userlevel 5
agreed,they really have turned very arrogant and clueless to what we want!
Userlevel 1
I will never renew my subscription again with SC since they have taken away soundcloud groups its just a sad site. Only one reason they done it so they have less traffic. There just money grabbing people who care nothing for the average musician
Userlevel 1
Soundcloud has become a joke. All its good for now are commercial well know artists. Taking away groups is the day soundcloud died and will never renew my subscription
As a paying customer of 6 years I'm going to close my SC subscription. There's no way any new users can find the content they want and this now only works for named artists who don't need to promote themselves in any way. The upcoming artists, DJs and creators now all lose out on exposure due to being at the mercy of SC displaying their content when they feel like it. I suspect this move is due to SC being under pressure from the big labels about them making content available and so the move to an almost stream only service has been made. Sad as SC was once a great place to find new artists, music and friends.

RIP SC community and a once great website.
Userlevel 1
I am sorry, but the radiostation approach is that much an old economies last century business ("we know better what you want, than you do"). It has nothing to do with modern promotional aspects of social media thing.
If groups won't be back until end of 2016 I will cancel my pro account. Sorry!
Just found out that Groups has been taken away today, I'm really disappointed, as the Groups feature is the one place I was actually able to promote my music. It seems Stations doesn't really work and will not work on a platform that has so much varying music, it will be IMPOSSIBLE to correctly match like for like tracks with each other, as everybody has a different perspective on genre. Can anybody on this forum recommend an alternative to Soundcloud please?
Userlevel 5
bumping
I just cancelled my subscription - no groups no subscription, time to move somewhere else!
Userlevel 1
Soundcloud has balls. It's trying to completely change its business model and become like Spotify or Deezer. Good luck with that! Ask Microsoft how they are doing with Zune, I mean xbox music, I mean Groove... Soundcloud I hope you have a billion dollars to spend trying to steal customers from Spotify and pandora. Good luck!

What is SoundCloud's unique differentiation as a meta-radio-station? Why should I get a SoundCloud account when I already have two or three other streaming services?
Userlevel 1
Thanks for the update Mathis. Can you tell us how you decide what tracks are added to a radio station for a particular artist or song? I've listened to several stations now and I can hear no connecting theme or logic whatsoever. In fact its indistinguishable from a completely random stream of tracks. Which does not seem useful. Thanks.
Alan - your question gets the is crux of the matter -- and the silence from Soundcloud is deafening.
Groups essentially already were COMMUNITY curated "radio stations". Group-owners decided what was appropriate for the group. You could check out a group and let it play and you got a radio station experience.
So, the questions stand:
1) how does Soundcloud decide what stations to create and
2) how does Soundcloud decide who's music is added into rotation?
Userlevel 1
Soundcloud has balls. It's trying to completely change its business model and become like Spotify or Deezer. Good luck with that! Ask Microsoft how they are doing with Zune, I mean xbox music, I mean Groove... Soundcloud I hope you have a billion dollars to spend trying to steal customers from Spotify and pandora. Good luck!

What is SoundCloud's unique differentiation as a meta-radio-station? Why should I get a SoundCloud account when I already have two or three other streaming services?

I think this is an extremely short sighted business concept. The copyright based music industry is a sinking ship. Everyone who tries to hang on this ship will go down with it.
Exactly 100% this. Two pro subscriptions I will likely not renew. Some pretty nice Angular integration with your APIs I will likely migrate to one of your competitors' platforms.
Userlevel 3
we also asked for stations , and got told to bend over...
Userlevel 1
I come to Soundcloud because of groups. Although not perfect, they at least let me listen to and post to a community of like minded styles. This new radio setup is so random to be worthless and I no longer can find anything I like. This has also taken away the only way to post my music to a group that defined similarities. There seems to be no reason left to visit Soundcloud anymore.
Userlevel 3
I come to Soundcloud because of groups. Although not perfect, they at least let me listen to and post to a community of like minded styles. This new radio setup is so random to be worthless and I no longer can find anything I like. This has also taken away the only way to post my music to a group that defined similarities. There seems to be no reason left to visit Soundcloud anymore.
Yes, stations are not a replacement for groups. But you can help us bring groups back.
https://soundcloud.com/losttalentgroup
Userlevel 1
Can you explain a bit. I see a list of reposts but I don't see what should be a replacement for groups...