Answered

Stream does not work on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with Firefox browser

• 17 August 2017
  • 3 replies

I just got Ubuntu 16.04 LTS installed on my laptop, and when I try to open any Soundcloud stream on Firefox browser, I just get error message and then the web site tries to open next post on the stream.

On older Ubuntu 14.04 LTS I had no problems.

I have tried to find a fix for this myself but so far I have only understood it may have something to do with GStreamer 1.0 used instead of an older GStreamer 0.10. But what I could not find out whether I should:

1) Just install old GStreamer 0.10 along with GStreamer 1.0?
2) Replace GStreamer 1.0 with older GStreamer 0.10?
3) Wait and hope that GStreamer developers get this fixed?

I personally think the best solution would be to get new plugins fixed as soon as possible. But then the problem is how to get the attention of plugin developers, get this issue reported and get fixed?
icon

Best answer by na0341 9 September 2017, 22:16

@Sami Serola
Hello Sami Serola :)

easy: open an mp3 - file with Rhytmbox - if your system missing any codecs, Rhytmbox ask's you to install them

perfect and fast: -I think that's the best and stablest way
https://askubuntu.com/questions/171026/how-to-install-all-existing-media-codecs (you don't have to install mplayer2 - for you, only the VLC - Packages needed! And by the way, VLC is a very nice media Player for just everything!)

manual: install it manually by running the following command in a shell (this will install (M)ANY codecs who aren't free software - codecs):
code:
sudo apt-get install libxvidcore4 gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-alsa gstreamer1.0-fluendo-mp3 gstreamer1.0-libav

To install all codecs, run the following command (!146MB!):
code:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Browsertest html5 mp3 playback

PS: soundcloud worked in my firefox developer edition after execute the "easy" way I listed - only on some pages (like my own profile) it imediately starts the player and skips from one track to another... ..but I think this is a local problem with my browser
EDIT: It was almost a javascript setup (or whatever I should call it) from the server, which automatically resumes the last playback - but my firefox-profile was pasted from another system -> firefox running errors ^:b^

if you've further questions, please ask detailed! | sry for typng errors

have a nice night
na0341
View original

3 replies

I tried to edit my own question to provide more information on this issue, but it looks like editing becomes unabled after awhile.

I have now installed Chromium for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, and there Soundcloud runs with no problems at all.

So, this seems to be Firefox issue. And I once again had to switch the browser.
@Sami Serola
Hello Sami Serola :)

easy: open an mp3 - file with Rhytmbox - if your system missing any codecs, Rhytmbox ask's you to install them

perfect and fast: -I think that's the best and stablest way
https://askubuntu.com/questions/171026/how-to-install-all-existing-media-codecs (you don't have to install mplayer2 - for you, only the VLC - Packages needed! And by the way, VLC is a very nice media Player for just everything!)

manual: install it manually by running the following command in a shell (this will install (M)ANY codecs who aren't free software - codecs):
code:
sudo apt-get install libxvidcore4 gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-alsa gstreamer1.0-fluendo-mp3 gstreamer1.0-libav

To install all codecs, run the following command (!146MB!):
code:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Browsertest html5 mp3 playback

PS: soundcloud worked in my firefox developer edition after execute the "easy" way I listed - only on some pages (like my own profile) it imediately starts the player and skips from one track to another... ..but I think this is a local problem with my browser
EDIT: It was almost a javascript setup (or whatever I should call it) from the server, which automatically resumes the last playback - but my firefox-profile was pasted from another system -> firefox running errors ^:b^

if you've further questions, please ask detailed! | sry for typng errors

have a nice night
na0341
So, this seems to be Firefox issue.

This problem are far away from the original Firefox (or the dev - edition). Even Crashes are now gone! And if they're still real do not blame the mozilla - developers! Just switch your OS (for everyone who's blamed by all the instability).

Really incredible is the RAM - usage of the web content processes! Holy moly! After a few days continuous use they grow up to about 2GB RAM - consumption. I've to kill every unneded Process, if I want other applications to run which consumes themselves a bit of RAM (keep in mind, that this 2GB are from, let's say content from 60 webpages with two yt - tabs)

My laptop has 4GB of RAM. After sysstart, running Telegram and the gnome-system-monitor, RAM - consumption is from 1.2 to 1.34GB. The main Process of Firefox needs 300MB - well! and now add two GB web content and look what you get - YEAH right! All your RAM is full with cache - dump!
Is there on other Browsers a similar problem? Pls let me kmow cause every time I leave FF, I feel very unlucky about almost everything of the browser
~I think I have to rethink the construction of my low - power consumption - homeserver -> with FF, 8GB rarely enouth :/

peace out you amazing people
na0341