Solved

The country I live in is not on the country list.

• 3 March 2016
  • 1 reply

Hi there.
I was fiddling to see what I could change on my Soundcloud account, and when I typed in the country I live in it says it's not in the list. I live in Wales.
It IS part of the UK, but I and some others prefer it not to be known as simply UK/United Kingdom. Some even think it's part of England. ._.
Possibility of Wales being added to the country list? Or should I contact the team a different way?
icon

Best answer by Gina 4 March 2016, 14:59

Hi Banement,

Thanks for getting in touch about this. I have spoken to our engineers to get some clarity on how we generate the list of country options on site and can let you know what I have found. It is a little complex, but I hope it helps to shed some light on how this list is generated at this time:

- We rely on querying a database (bit.ly/1oLEPu8) for generating the list of countries which we display on our settings pages for users.

- The above database pulls information directly from ICANN (bit.ly/1pP6tdM); an organisation which aims to promote the standardisation of naming conventions online. Specifically, ICANN coordinates the efforts of IANA (bit.ly/1l5CNKM); the group responsible for codifying data related to local time for locations all around the world.

- IANA relies on pulling local time information for countries which have attained an ISO 3166-1 (bit.ly/MrUnb8) code. Quoting from the ISO (bit.ly/1g0HuNO) directly; “The purpose of ISO 3166 is to define internationally recognised codes of letters and/or numbers that we can use when we refer to countries and subdivisions.” That being said, the ISO itself does not define the name of countries; they rely on data provided directly by the UN, which you can see here: bit.ly/1ruvFpb

In short, this means that we ultimately rely on data provided by the UN to define the list of options (and the “name”) for each country provided in our list of options on site.

While I can appreciate that this is not an ideal situation, I hope you can understand why we rely on internet standard protocols to provide this list of options for our users. I can certainly understand why you and other users may wish for us to change how we handle this information. I have therefore forwarded your request to our engineers to see if we can consider another option in the future e.g. a free form text box rather than a drop down list.

I hope that helps to answer your question. Please let me know if there is anything else that we can help with.

Cheers
Gina
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Banement,

Thanks for getting in touch about this. I have spoken to our engineers to get some clarity on how we generate the list of country options on site and can let you know what I have found. It is a little complex, but I hope it helps to shed some light on how this list is generated at this time:

- We rely on querying a database (bit.ly/1oLEPu8) for generating the list of countries which we display on our settings pages for users.

- The above database pulls information directly from ICANN (bit.ly/1pP6tdM); an organisation which aims to promote the standardisation of naming conventions online. Specifically, ICANN coordinates the efforts of IANA (bit.ly/1l5CNKM); the group responsible for codifying data related to local time for locations all around the world.

- IANA relies on pulling local time information for countries which have attained an ISO 3166-1 (bit.ly/MrUnb8) code. Quoting from the ISO (bit.ly/1g0HuNO) directly; “The purpose of ISO 3166 is to define internationally recognised codes of letters and/or numbers that we can use when we refer to countries and subdivisions.” That being said, the ISO itself does not define the name of countries; they rely on data provided directly by the UN, which you can see here: bit.ly/1ruvFpb

In short, this means that we ultimately rely on data provided by the UN to define the list of options (and the “name”) for each country provided in our list of options on site.

While I can appreciate that this is not an ideal situation, I hope you can understand why we rely on internet standard protocols to provide this list of options for our users. I can certainly understand why you and other users may wish for us to change how we handle this information. I have therefore forwarded your request to our engineers to see if we can consider another option in the future e.g. a free form text box rather than a drop down list.

I hope that helps to answer your question. Please let me know if there is anything else that we can help with.

Cheers
Gina