Question

Theres an AD literally after every song

Userlevel 2
For the past 2 days I have been getting an Ad literally after every song, including simply when I change songs. This has to be a glitch because no other service has an ad every other song. I am NOT ranting about ads in general but after every song is excessive. Please give me an answer to this issue and not go on about how ads support artists and to pay for a subscription instead. This did not happen before so I am wondering why all of a sudden? Plus can you please get rid of these "Real Cost Tobacco" ads, that is literally the only ad Soundcloud plays and its pathetic I don't smoke and I doubt people who do will change their mind with that stupid ad.

Thank you

30 replies

So I am kind of hypocritical when it comes to this stuff, I’ll admit. I like free content like youtube videos and the essentially free music that I could listen to through soundcloud, and I also strongly dislike ads. I am ok with ones that are not annoying and are actually for something I might actually be interested (why I am fine with companies tracking me for targeted ads) but almost all the time I get some laundry ad that super annoying of a guy badly singing about the stain on his pants or something. That one is EXTREMELY infuriating and I get it about half the time. As soon as I hear it I reload the page to skip the ad or just strait up close soundcloud and go somewhere else for my music.  I used to not get any ads since I have adblock plus on chrome but it seems they have found a work around recently. And like this threads topic says, I get them way to often. If I got one maybe every 8 to 10 songs I wouldn’t mind as much but I am literally being driven insane by ads. I swear the ads I get on soundcloud are the most terrible ads I have ever heard and it essentially secures those companies spot in my “never buy from these companies” classification just because of their ads.

You don’t have ANY advertisers here in Spain, so we get to hear the same bloody SoundCloud Go+ ad over, and over, and over, and over again. You’re not actually making any ad revenue, and you’re just pissing off your listeners. Good job!

It’s tedious to say the least, and your implementation of web audio sucks too, so I am listening to ad free Mixcloud instead. I encourage all your disgruntled listeners to the same!

Hi there,

Please see here to learn why there are ads on SoundCloud in the first place: https://help.soundcloud.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003447287-Ads-on-SoundCloud-

For an ad free experience, you can upgrade to our SoundCloud Go or SoundCloud Go+ subscription. https://soundcloud.com/go

Cheers
Mathis

w o a h  n o  s h i t. Why did it increase to two instead of linking the article and sponsoring Go+. We know it exists because it has a special tab for itself and is constantly in the top left corner. And guess what there’s ads for it too. Woah. 

Boy I thought the whole “2 ads per song, sometimes video ads too” shite was just a mobile thing, but I see the plague has spread to the website.

Remember the good old days when the website didn’t really have ads, only the app did? But now, here we are, dishing them out several in a row.

I also remember when this place had a soul and wasn’t a Spotify rip.

Hi there,

Please see here to learn why there are ads on SoundCloud in the first place: https://help.soundcloud.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003447287-Ads-on-SoundCloud-

For an ad free experience, you can upgrade to our SoundCloud Go or SoundCloud Go+ subscription. https://soundcloud.com/go

Cheers
Mathis

Mathis you and all your coworkers can suck my dick. Fuck you and your faggot asses. I cant even listen to music in peace without a thirty second fucking ad of some bitch complaining about crohns disease. I hope you kids get crohns disease mathis u fat fucking money hungry piece of dog shit. FUCK YOU

Seeing how long this has been a problem is very disheartening.  I have been a SoundCloud user for a long time, and I have been putting up with ads for a long time too.  Today I noticed that I now get two ads in one go, as in two ads one after the other (picture below). On top of this a small pop up ad comes up immediately afterward.  The visual pop up I have no problems with, and I honestly think that visual ads are the way to go, since I don’t have to look at them if I don’t want to.  However, the fact that you have now decided that it is NECESSARY to put out 3 ads per ad break is ludicrous. If it really is to pay artists on SoundCloud then why aren’t my friends, who are producers on the platform, getting paid?  The truth is that you people are being consumed by greed. The best way to gain profit is, rather than shoving ads down our throats and simultaneously annoying everyone, give us INCENTIVE to pay for your platform. You already have the platform to do this with SoundCloud Go and SoundCloud Go+.  Add incentive to these subscriptions and eliminate ads for users or they, myself included, will leave your platform for better ones without a second thought. As much as I don’t want to I am getting ready to leave this platform for good. It would be in your best interest to take the advice of people on this forum and make your platform better.  Otherwise you won’t have any users left.

Two ads in a row.

I sincerely hope that this gets fixed.  SoundCloud was good platform for new and aspiring artists, but now it has become an advertising platform for anyone who doesn’t want to pay for subscription with no real benefits beyond not having ads.

Been a soundcloud user since 2012. Had a pro account for 2-3 years. I use soundcloud to listen to lesser known, niche, underground labels who very likely pay soundcloud to host all of their releases. Having to sit through ads every other track, from a label that’s already paying you for your services, is of poor taste. I understand the the previous business model wasn't as lucrative, but the current state of soundcloud seems to be causing an exodus towards other platforms, such as Bandcamp, which im now using more and more. 

soundcloud still has better functionalities than most other options when it comes to finding new artists and labels, but the barrage of ads I'm forced to listen to on the daily is starting to eclipse the greatness that once was.

im really hoping to see a change for the better.

"Let's talk about noah! least year he was in a dead end job......."
FUCK NOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't give a shit about your fucking school (mycomputercareer.edu), and I never want to use your school because you bombarded EVERY SINGLE ADVERTISEMENT I heard on soundcloud for 3 MONTHS. worlds most annoying advertisement.

literally, the only reason I continue to use this service is because of the massive collection of music I have, but as I find a suitable replacement for soundcloud, I am moving to it. I could tolerate it if the ads were less frequent, and not the same 3 advertisements for like 2 months. I am going to say that if it's advertised on soundcloud, I am going to avoid using that product/service if I can. rework your algorithms. this has been an ongoing problem for years now, and you are losing people because of it.
Userlevel 1
P.S. your sound quality is fucking trash
Userlevel 1
The reason why you guys are getting so many ads is because youve been using your account for a long time. Soundcloud's algorithm has determined that you're not going anywhere so they blast you with ads.
If you create a new account (which is a pain) then itll go back to 1 ad every 15-20 songs.

That is fucking slime ball and is also the reason I am logging out of my SC account forever. I have been here for years and have almost 10K likes/reposts. Fuck SC.
The reason why you guys are getting so many ads is because youve been using your account for a long time. Soundcloud's algorithm has determined that you're not going anywhere so they blast you with ads.
If you create a new account (which is a pain) then itll go back to 1 ad every 15-20 songs.
Oh my god I get ads on the app that require me to watch a video. If I minimize the app, it stops the ad. ????? Soundcloud, you’re an AUDIO server. And I get ads after like a 2-minute song..
I tried soundcloud go, and there is no real advantage. I allways loved this plataform to listen music. Now with the adds is just awful. And lets be onest if I have to pay to liste music I rather pay spotify than this.
Loyal fans feel betrayed and are abandoning ship because you guys got real greedy real fast.

Sounds about right.
I just want to say that I FUCKING HATE the ads!! they are SO shit! They are so repetitive! The same ad all the time.

Just put banner ads on the website. PLEASE!!
Or a sponsored ad in between tracks in the feed.

Side bar ads, banner ad at the top, sponsored ads in the stream!
This would not bother me.

I was once a paying user of SC, but my account got shut down for doing remixes (copyright), now with all these ads, I do not want to go back to being a paid subscriber.

I really loved this platform. Now its painful just to try and find new tracks in my feed

I get it, you need revenue to stay alive and ads bring that revenue in.

Fix the copyright issues, like youtube does it.
Do ads like other massive companies do it.

Rant over
soundcloud apperently think i smoke 100 cigars for 12 hours straight
for a music playing platform i shouldnt have this many ads between music and the ads themself are worse
these ads will

earrape you
shame you [for no reason?]
make you listen to dumb things
omg dude stop smoking specifically E CIGS you dumb shit [how would you know someone is smoking]
YEAH I KNOW U WANT THIS AD TO END YEAH IM SELFAWARE XD
get soundcloud pro to stop getting this message telling you to get soundcloud pro
hey did i tell you to stop smoking you would not beleive what i did to tim
*unnecessarily long ad for no reason*
get soundcloud go to stop getting this message telling you to get soundcloud go
A EPIDEMIC IS SPREADING WORLD WIDE TARGETING TEENAGERS btw this is just a vaping ad i just wanted to extend the time you hear this lol
Yeahthat truth tobacco now add crap doesn't do anything for a smoker's to be honest when I hear it I just want to light up another cigarette
Userlevel 1
well then again any "free" site eventua;lly resorts to this crap to make enough money to pay for itself... then alittle extra on the side... then more extra- ect
Userlevel 1
I just came here to complain about the exact same thing. I am a premiere subscriber and pay for this service, and I just got served the "go ads" listening to my OWN MUSIC. This is ridiculous. I pay to host my content so that my listeners don't have to get served ads or pay. If sound cloud is doing this "So that artists get paid" then why do the artists have to pay to host the content, and where's my check?
you'll get it when you have enough $ to force them to pay you fees
it's all manipulation and broken online systems my boy
not the only site that does this for extra cash
Userlevel 1
I love how the official reply is basically tough shit upgrade for no adds

I wish sites would stop slowly pulling this crap over time secretly pushing more ads and spamming more site filler even after complaints like theyre so sneaky so clever
though I know they understand they can get away with it since they have a large control over music related sites . . .

From my experience, there is a way to completely bypass any ad on the pc version. Just reload the page as soon as the ad starts playing, and you should be golden. Been doing this for about 6 months and haven't heard more than a quick bleep of an ad before I reload the page and continue listening.This has actually worked very well, I think it might be the computer is stuck playing the same ad, so a simple refresh resets the ads. Refreshing has solved my problem 100% of the time, so I think it is just a little glitch. Hopefully it works for everyone else!

After doing this for a while, I don't think this is a glitch. I think it is more of an exploitation of the RNG algorithm. This is because, occasionally, when you switch to another song an ad will play on that song.
Hi there,

Cheers
Mathis

Mathis this is ridiculous. Artists like me pay soundcloud to host our content so that listeners don't have to get ads in the first place. I never agreed to let Soundcloud make ad revenue off my content and I did not join soundcloud to monetize my content in the first place.

If you make people pay a premium fee to host content, then you should not also force people to pay for Go to get an ad free experience. I will leave the service if this doesn't get fixed pronto.
I just came here to complain about the exact same thing. I am a premiere subscriber and pay for this service, and I just got served the "go ads" listening to my OWN MUSIC. This is ridiculous. I pay to host my content so that my listeners don't have to get served ads or pay. If sound cloud is doing this "So that artists get paid" then why do the artists have to pay to host the content, and where's my check?
Userlevel 1
From my experience, there is a way to completely bypass any ad on the pc version. Just reload the page as soon as the ad starts playing, and you should be golden. Been doing this for about 6 months and haven't heard more than a quick bleep of an ad before I reload the page and continue listening.
This has actually worked very well, I think it might be the computer is stuck playing the same ad, so a simple refresh resets the ads. Refreshing has solved my problem 100% of the time, so I think it is just a little glitch. Hopefully it works for everyone else!
From my experience, there is a way to completely bypass any ad on the pc version. Just reload the page as soon as the ad starts playing, and you should be golden. Been doing this for about 6 months and haven't heard more than a quick bleep of an ad before I reload the page and continue listening.