Answered

Track not showing up in search

• 6 March 2015
  • 3 replies

I'm certain this must have cropped up many times but I couldn't find an exact replica in the suggested matches to my issue.

Anyway, I have a track on my profile (I am a pro user, if this makes a difference with searches I'm not sure) and I have two hashtags on it, 'Electronic and Atomik' When I search for Electronic Atomik or vice versa it finds just 5 tracks of which mine is not one of them. I notice that the hash tags at the bottom left are different to Electronic and Atomik as well. I'm a little confused as to how the search engine works as I would have assumed my track would show up with this search. Please help. The track is https://soundcloud.com/atomikbear/wake-up-it-is-your-time

Thanks
icon

Best answer by Mathis 9 March 2015, 11:37

Hi there Atomik Bear,

Thanks for posting about this. Let's see - first things first, after doing a tag-query on SoundCloud, I was able to find your track.

Here's how this looks (note the URL that I put into the address field to specify a specific tag to be searched):
http://cl.ly/image/201A390s171P

I'll try to elaborate further on how to search currently works:
Our search relies on an algorithm called ‘Discoranking’ (which stands for “Discovery Ranking”) which returns the most popular results first. Discoranking pulls the search results based upon a variety of variables including the wording of your search and the popularity of profiles.

Each track and artist has a "DiscoRank" that is calculated by a wide variety of factors. These factors include, but are not limited to; the number of likes, reposts, and followers associated with specific tracks and accounts. Not only does the number of your own followers give you a higher DiscoRank-- we also consider how many followers your followers have and so on. The more “influential” the network of followers you are associated with, the higher your DiscoRank will be. As you can imagine, this network could go on forever!

All of these factors work together to give the most popular and relevant results for a search. For example, even if you input an exact Profile URL into search, there may be profiles which have a wider network of popularity which will rank higher than an exact word match.

It is important to note that an account’s Display Name is just one of many variables which affect your position within search results; your popularity remains the dominant factor in Discoranking algorithms.

Therefore, the fact that more than one account can now have the same Display Name will have no impact on search results.

I hope this allows you to understand the search results you're seeing more comprehensively. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Hope this helps to shed some light on the issue for you.

Cheers
Mathis
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there Atomik Bear,

Thanks for posting about this. Let's see - first things first, after doing a tag-query on SoundCloud, I was able to find your track.

Here's how this looks (note the URL that I put into the address field to specify a specific tag to be searched):
http://cl.ly/image/201A390s171P

I'll try to elaborate further on how to search currently works:
Our search relies on an algorithm called ‘Discoranking’ (which stands for “Discovery Ranking”) which returns the most popular results first. Discoranking pulls the search results based upon a variety of variables including the wording of your search and the popularity of profiles.

Each track and artist has a "DiscoRank" that is calculated by a wide variety of factors. These factors include, but are not limited to; the number of likes, reposts, and followers associated with specific tracks and accounts. Not only does the number of your own followers give you a higher DiscoRank-- we also consider how many followers your followers have and so on. The more “influential” the network of followers you are associated with, the higher your DiscoRank will be. As you can imagine, this network could go on forever!

All of these factors work together to give the most popular and relevant results for a search. For example, even if you input an exact Profile URL into search, there may be profiles which have a wider network of popularity which will rank higher than an exact word match.

It is important to note that an account’s Display Name is just one of many variables which affect your position within search results; your popularity remains the dominant factor in Discoranking algorithms.

Therefore, the fact that more than one account can now have the same Display Name will have no impact on search results.

I hope this allows you to understand the search results you're seeing more comprehensively. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Hope this helps to shed some light on the issue for you.

Cheers
Mathis
Apologies for dredging up old topics, but although I appreciate this DiscoRank thing which is obviously needed to order searches, this does mean that us "little people" never get a look in. The number of plays largely is down to how well promoted and indeed how much they've paid for such promotion.

I just feel soundcloud should be a fairly flat platform giving little people as much opportunity as the big hitters. I don't have a solution with the exception of maybe a "little people search" which basically turns your discorank on it's head giving the little people the first results and the big hitters at the bottom.
Hi there! I just uploaded some trial track for first hoping that the ID3 tags in metadata remains.
I read later as while the metadata remains in the uploaded music file(mp3)but it is not displayed in any form on Soundcloud. Sad but true. Ok lets try adding tags for the tracks... Tags added but searching for the specific tags results nothing. As I am a free member yet maybe found the bottleneck but Atomik Bear the threadstarter is a Pro member and faced the same. Well, what is the solution? Thanks!